broadband service suppliers

Earlier today, I lost about twenty minutes of typing because I changed from BT to TalkTalk. How? you ask. BT is an always on provider, TT is dial-up, and time on line sensitive. Get called away or not refresh, and it assumes non use and disconnects, to save on bandwidth pressumably. I had been logged on, but when it went off, my post showed up as guest. If we are to allow guests to post, and I don't think we should, then please put the edit facility on thier posts. In fairness to Talktalk, I am saving thirty nine pounds +vat per quarter, and have free calls to 01/02 code numbers, plus, many international numbers ( including my talkative sister in spain). Total bill under 40 pounds per month.

totter along into history

I would think that creating your post with a text editor would probably take care of you. I think that only a mod can edit guest text which is the way it should be. If you were allowed to edit guest text you could edit anyones guest text.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That's what I do. I am just about to go with talkTalk myself. Not too impressed with the fact that they've asked me three times for my MAC number and the fact that when you try to call them you can never get through. I gather that the offer was far more popular than they were expecting!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

That's what I do. I am just about to go with talkTalk myself.

I would think long and hard before going to TalkTalk for broadband.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk

AFAIK their customer service has been utterly overwhelmed by the demand. And there are other problems.

Don't touch them, even with the highest of heels.

Hvaing said that, I'm with Plusnet and they are having big problems at the moment. Heaven help you if you need to contact their customer service at the moment. I'm researching who to change to and it's probably either Zen or Eclipse. Zen are a bit expensive but have a superb reputation. Eclipse are not expensive and seem to be doing well.

PS: Dr Shoe, if you don't have your own domain then drshoe.co.uk and dr_shoe.co.uk are both available.

before changing, I did speak to a few people already on it. They all found it ok. I did have another problem, previously, I used my own Zoom modem, and linked two computers through it. The talktalk softwear has a section to allow you to use your own modem, customer support say it's ok to do that, but after hours of trying, I gave up and used the thing they supplied. Still, if they don't get any better, next year I can always change providers again.

Indeed. As it's a "free" ISP you aren't locked into any contracts though you may be obliged to retain your landline but that's no problem as it is by far the cheapest and every bit as good as BT IMO.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

In actual fact the T&Cs do specifically refer to services provided at the same time therefore it would be possible to challenge any later incorporation of services.

You could say that you "only" wanted the line rental and the calls package and that you didn't want the broadband but you were told by the sales person that you could cancel the broadband at any time and that "you had nothing to lose" (sic) by trying it. Particularly as the line rental and calls package went "live" 3 months before the broadband did.

happy to report that other than the annoying re-connect feature, the package is good value. A mate who is good with software & hardware is calling around to install my modem, as he has a few tricks up his sleeve. It is really around 30% cheaper than BT, and will, hopefully, improve with time.