Legal Heel Heights for Driving

pussyinboots

A friend of mine in the UK Police Force (Bless them) brought it to my attention the other day that the MAXIMUM LEGAL HEIGHT for heels whilst driving is 4". Anything higher is considered a danger to yourself and other road users - so if you are stopped on suspicion of another offence - and you are wearing 6" stilettos - you run the risk of being prosecuted for dangerous driving. It is also illegal to drive in "flip-flops" in the UK. Anyone else know this??

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

i knew about the flip flop rule, however i think you'll find the 4 inch rule more of a guideline than a law.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't think there is any specific rule of UK law relating to the dangers of driving in any particular type of shoe (or other clothing). The general offence would be that of not being in proper control of a vehicle and one can see that some types of shoe (very heavy soles, very high heels, very loose fitting, etc) could be said to impede proper control of pedals etc. Likewise, if driving without shoes (in nylons, socks or simply barefoot) - another alleged prohibition without specific foundation. Essentially, it is a matter for a police officer's judgement - and discretion - as to whether someone has not got a vehicle under control. Unless erratic driving (or worse) has been noticed, control is not likely to be an issue unless one is stopped for some other reason and feet/shoes (or something else that might interfere with full control) come to the PC's notice and suggest to him that to continue driving would pose a danger. Even then, action is unlikely unless another offence had already been committed. Bear in mind that different standards are likely to apply to different types of vehicle. What is acceptable wear in a car might not be when riding a motor cycle or driving a heavy goods vehicle or a traction engine. It is really a matter of common sense (unfashionable though that concept may now be). A PC might have been told that the rule of thumb is 'no flip flops; no 4"+ heels' but that can only ever be a guideline. In any event, what exactly is a 'flip flop' - I can think of several types of sandal that are commonly called flip-flops but are quite different in style and fit. Just as well the fashion police doesn't have a traffic branch!

Shame that is not law here in Australia, as most people here go around barefoot or in thongs (flip- flops) all the time. i could say that Aussies have as much style as worzel gummage but that wouldnt be fair on him. As for impeeding operation of a motor vehicle, i dont think that would make much difference as they are very bad drivers with little respect for anyone else on the road

A little incident that happened to Mickey several years back while she was still working before retirement--- She had been in heels and on her feet all day long and by the time she hit the car to drive home, her feet were bothering her, so she decided to slip her heels off and drive home in her pantyhosed feet. She was stopped in a routine traffic stop for checking for current inspection stickers. When the officer was checking her registration, he noticed that she was driving with her shoes off. His reply was that it was illegal to drive with your shoes off. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

When I visited the USA, using Amtrak trains to get around it was always mentioned by the conductor not to walk around barefoot on the train, for safety reasons. It would be very easy to trap your foot especially when crowssing to the next coach. I assume the possibility of trapping your foot whilst driving barefoot is the same reason. Calv

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv