Across the pond in a skirt and heels.

dr1819

Well, folks, I finally did it. I finally got up the nerve to put myself into a position wearing considerably "alternative" fashion while simultaneously pulling the plug on any potential "out." I had a business trip across the pond last week, so I began toying with the idea of wearing my Gabrielle Rocha Nora boots under my jeans. (They have heels just slightly higher than four inches). It took me about a minute to accept the fact that few would notice, and that those who did notice really wouldn't care, particularly since my jeans hung to the floor, even while wearing the heels. But what about wearing my heeled boots with a skirt? I steeled myself for the concept of having to fend off questions (or more importantly, services), because of my choice of attire. Nevertheless, I donned my boots, then proceeded with the skirt, thinking, "what the hell - no one I know will see me!). Before that, however, I donned something I normally don't wear - a pair of microfiber tights from Just My Size. Normally I simply wear socks with my boots, but I'm usually cold on flights wearing just my jeans. I normally only wear tights on very cold days or beneath my thermals while hunting or hiking (ease the chafing and an extra layer of wicking/insulation). Besides, my boots fit slightly tight anyway, so I donned the tights instead of the socks, knowing that I'd have a lot of walking to do. I also wore a simple small silver hoop earring in my left ear and a diamond stud in my right. I wore a black t-shirt beneath my cross-cross-hached sweater, and my ankle-length black denim skirt. I don't have a slip, so I borrowed my neighbor's slip (she's been very understanding and supportive of my choice of fashion). Trust me, folks - the slip makes all the difference in the world. I never needed it while wearing skirts bare-legged, but when wearing hose, the skirts really cling to my legs, and the slip really does a great job of, well, letting it "slip" down. Besides, it adds another layer of warmth, which is important for those 9-hour flights at 38,000 feet. I also wore my hair down, slightly styled, with my wife's (ex-wife's) basic sunglasses, and a very light touch of makeup (the merest hint of eyeliner, mascera, and lip paint). Although a few people looked my way more than once throughout the airport, no one stared intrusively. The only problem I had was with the TSA folks, who simply chuckled amongst themselves at my expense as I proceeded through the security checkout. Women, men - didn't matter. They all had their fun. Must be a fraternal/sororital right of initiation to laugh at those who're significantly different than themselves. Not so the rest of the travellors in the airport, who chose to hold to a higher ground, and did not laugh at all. As usual, a few of them and I carried on conversations, one of which I'll note in a minute. The ticket agents and flight attendants were the consumate professionals, never being contentious, and always polite. There were only three people with whom I spoke about my choice of attire: 1. Sitting at the gate while waiting for the flight: A middle-aged woman sat next to me, and we proceeded to carry on idle chit-chat for about two minutes when she reached out, held my hand, turned to me, and said, "I hope you'll forgive me, but I couldn't help but notice when we were talking that at times I had the impression you might be a man." As it turned out, she was expecting me to say "no," and she was prepared to offer an apology, but instead she got a "yes," to which she dropped my hand in surprise, made a couple of quick comments, then picked my hand up again and asked me to tell her about it. So, with 38 minutes remaining until our flight, I did, relating the story of how I came to wear heels, how I came to wear skirts, why I was wearing both in a public place such as an airline, etc. She never did ask me about the very slight makeup I was wearing, which was good, as I really didn't have any answer! As it turned out, she sat about 8 rows ahead of me, with an empty seat next to her. After the flight was underway, and during a pit stop, I told her that I'd really enjoyed our conversation in the lobby. She responded by saying, "I'd love to carry on our conversation. This seat isn't taken, if they'll let you move..." Of course I moved! She was married, but it didn't matter, as we weren't connecting on that level. We were simply two people talking about the world, and spent the rest of the flight together talking about all kinds of things, ranging from politics to fashion to gender issues to her husband to my (soon to be ex-) wife, etc. During that time, she couldn't have cared less that I was wearing a skirt and a pair of leather boots with 4" heels. Throughout it all, she held my hand, which was perhaps the most precious thing of all. By the time we arrived at our destination, we'd exchanged e-mail and mailing addresses, and we've intended to continue our newfound friendship. She's e-mailed me twice, the second of which she said it would be fine if I related our story to all of you. No, we're not an item - merely friends. I treasure my friendships with both guys and girls, and would never allow any sexual overtones threaten them, particularly their relationships with their own spouses. I've seen enough crud through the erosion of my own marriage. I care not to propogate it to other people, particularly when families are involved. The point is that getting laid is easy. It takes a night or two at best. Finding true friends, however, is difficult, and requires being willing to be a friend, as well as being open to being someone else's friend. Most people are willing to be a friend to others. Few people figure out how to be open to being another's friend. This lady knew how, and I quickly felt at home in her world. She has one lucky husband, should he ever recognize it. All too often, as we go throughout our lives, we wind up being so stuck on our own issues that we miss those opportunities to enrichen the lives of others, particularly those with whom we're closest, and who could, in turn, immesurably enrichen our own lives, as well.

Wow, that woman has great class, poise, and tact. I like her initial approach to you alot. It shows respect and open mindedness. Congrats on making a new friend and kudos to you for wearing your heels and skirt on the plane.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

What an incredible story, my friend. Definitely awe-inspiring to all of us here. Your courage to fly across the pond, especially with no "escape hatch" (no pants) was incredible enough, but to wear makeup, and to meet and make a nice friend like that lady you chatted with must have made for an incredible experience. More power to you! ;)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Dr1819:-) WOW! What a story. And what luck finding a lady friend that is so down-to-earth and confident in the ways of accepting people as they are. We certainly need a lot more of that kind of level headed person. Congrats! Enjoy your friendship to the max. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!