Bad News, Allergic to Shoes!!

sendra45

My wife has been struggling with one thing and another for the last year or 18 months. We went to the doctor to see what he thought, he suggested we get an allergy test done.

Well........ we are half way through the test and we have found a couple of reactions. If you dont know how a test is done then let me explain, there are about 50 different patches stuck on the back and left for a few days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/heels2die4/dscf1186.jpg

Okay,

After 2 days.

To the top, just under the number 20 you can see a red patch, where she has reacted to something, there are a few other but lets not worry about them.

On seeing this the Doctor asked if she had any problems with her feet! Why yes, sometimes she replied, ahhh, said the doctor, this is a reaction to a glue that is found in shoes!

Shoes ;):lol::D

It cant be, I thought, this must be the unluckiest twist of fate ever to happen to a HHplace member!

We are off there tomorow to find out more about the reactions and I will want to know about the glue!

It is going to be a struggle finding an unglued pair of high heels! I will let you know more later, I would appreciate the techies amongs us to shed some light on the types of glues used.

Thanks for your help!

Nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

Bummer.... ;) Well she my be allergic to the glue but it's more commonly known as a chemical allergy and such allergies are on the up rise. I wonder if actually if she is allergic to latex? Is there latex in contact cement or what ever glues they use?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hi, We have returned from the hospital and have learnt more about this 'common' type of glue. Para-tertiary butyl phenol formaldehyde resin (PTBPF Resin) Now all we need to find is somebody who makes nice shoes without using this glue. I guess this would be ths sort of question we could have asked TLSB or some other small company but I think we will have to choose the shoes bought on the high street with some care. I will let you know if I find any. Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

This sounds like a travesty Nigel. But if her reaction is based on contact with a material it seems wearing shoes with that material in it should be fine. Any pair of shoes that I've seen there is no way the cement could come in contact with the skin.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Actually, there is a chance that the glue could come into contact but not too much. If it helps, shoe adhesive is normally Neoprene resin which is used in a number of other products such as waterproof garments and synthetic rubbers.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Just an Idea...... could most of the glue be around the sole area. In which case if wearing closed shoes insoles inside the shoes might stop contact between the foot and glue. If glue is present on the uppers then obviously this is not going to work.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!