Ready Steady Cook

Guest Allu

Something else has to be said. Never trust a man who doesn't like bread. It seems strange, before Chris and I decided to become an item, I was always meeting guys who were not so impressed by my kitchen skills. Like, man, food, it seems to go together so well! And being Danish, bread is important to our culture. But I kept meeting guys and thinking "I can dazzle them" and I'd hit them with the home made bread thing. And I'd often get "I don't really eat a lot of bread." Well! Of course, yesterday was the first time I had a chance to make some bread for Chris, and he loved it. Plain, with butter... even the little one liked it. Not that she can have more than half a small slice, but she liked it. Now, I know that basing a relationship on willingness to eat bread is not a good plan, but in this case, I think I did the right thing. :wink: Good thing I made two loaves, too, it's Spaghetti and Meatball night tonight :D

Laurie Hi, Holly only eats things that I cook but you can't help them eating these other things when they go to other people's homes. I just wish manufacturers would rethink what they put in our childrens foods. I'm half Spanish so eat a very balanced healthy diet which consists of fish, meats, saladings, pulses and of course fruits and olive oil. I have a dad who has always had an allotment so love, and have access to, fresh organic veggies too. I get a kick out of cooking but I am prone to the odd Chinese or Indian takeaway. What really bugs me is that they take a nice piece of chicken that can be grilled, roasted, griddled, made into many many lovely dishes, but instead they mash it into a pulp with lots of added E's, sugar, salt and God knows what (reformed is what they call it) and then they make it into shapes to appeal to kiddies. No wonder children are suffering with all sorts of allergies, skin complaints, bowel problems and obesity. We are in a lazy fast food culture where no one has time to cook and sit around a family table and quite frankly it's sad. There is nothing nicer than everyone sitting round a table discussing their days triumphs and woes. I wish the world could just slow down a tad and give us all a chance to enjoy the basic things of life... er ummm I've gone off on another soap box :wink: That's me for another off loading and putting the world to rights :D Love Julie PS Laurie I'm sooo glad you are back and on form I really missed you x

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

The guys who supply the baby chicks to the battery egg laying farms have a growing market for live females...The egg producers can't get enough of them these days as the poor old battery hen quickly works herself to death producing eggs non stop and are replaced often. Now the chick supplier also raises alot of "boy" chickens as a matter of course,but they are obviously of no use to the egg producing farmer.....So what do you do with all these little male chicks that won't grow up to lay eggs? It's ugly, but the truth of the matter is the chicks are sexed when a few days old.The females go off to be raised and the males are feed into a shute fitted with sets of spinning blades that kill them and grind them into a paste.This paste is mixed with other ingrediants and formed into chicken patties,nuggets,babyfood and the like. Real nasty stuff.......and people wonder why I won't eat eggs unless they're free range and wouldnt touch nuggets with a barge pole. jim

I doubt that, Fox. Most people, maybe, but I think I would recover after a few days and be back on meat. I have a strange understanding of things, but it works. Cows serve no other purpose than to be used for products. They don't make great pets, they don't do a lot other than grow up and be food. of course, I hope they are free range. Even oiur food supply deserves a chance to do whatever is natural to them. Sledgehammer to the skull, gun shot, slit throat, whatever happens, this is how it has come to be. Cows have no other purpose, so let's wear them and eat them. Chickens are ugly, let's erat them, too! Pigs? Well, they taste too good, despite the other things they can do. I am all for the ethitcal treatment of animals, but I don't believe in vegetarianism. Of course, before the Vegans attack me, keep one thing in mind - I would never criticize someone else's decision to eat only vegetables and grains, or whatever they decide. So it infuriates me when other people who may choose that lifestyle do the same to me, or put down my choice. Funny how some groups demand respect, but then try to change everyone else's opinions. We have free will, and I choose to exercise mine and eat what I like. In moderation. :wink: Steak, anyone?

I don't believe in vegetarianism either, but slaughter is certainly a messy business, especially when they blow the brain to pieces with compressed air or slit the throat as in Halal killing. Anyway, enough of that and back to the cooking :wink: I still haven't tried our the KFC batter mix recipe yet. Thanks for having a go Jim. I'm glad you had success. Tonight I cooked for a friend and I did lamb pancakes on warm rocket salad. A very simple recipe: Pancake batter as usual. Cook lamb before in a microwave and chop coarsly (lamb or shoulder is fine). Make pancake. While still runny on top sprinkle some lamb, bread crumbs, mixed herbs, a little olive oil. Cook on the other side. Roll and fill with more sprinkled lamb bits, fresh chopped coriander. Serve on warmed salad leaves with plenty of cherry tomatoes and garnish with more sprigs of fresh coriander. You'll like this one. It went down so well I had to make a load more :D

It sounds like something to try, but lamb is not a low cost thing around here, and I have yet to explore and seek out the local butcher shops and specialty stores. Of course, I still need a job... otherwise it's no go. I think it seems like more of a grown up meal. Something to try when the little one is not around. And as for myself, I am thinking of delving into fried chicken. I've always feared it because of the fat, although there are ways to reduce that when cooking... hrm. Still not as health concious as skinless chicken breast, but maybe I can do something.

I still have your recipe for chicken breast. It's a good one, you should post it. As for lamb, yes it can be expensive, especially chops and escalopes, but I find the cheaper cuts like shoulder can be used easily in that sort of recipe I gave when you cut up and mix with herbs. Breast of lamb is also a good value cut here but can be quite fatty

I think if anyone went inside a modern mechanised slaughterhouse it would put them off eating any meat whatsoever.

I have actually been inside a modern slaughterhouse. The places people put computers :wink:

For some odd reason, I won't eat pork pies any more, and I'd quite happily never eat pork again, but sometimes I can't avoid it. But I'll eat most other things quite happily. Having said that, I'd never realised quite how versatile olive oil is... :D

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

EVOO is an amazing thing. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Pork, well, I can't live without it. Culturally, it is something important. Danes like fish, and Danes like Pork. So much of what we eat is based on that. Fighting for the crispies on top of a pork roast at Christmas. There's nothing like it. Some of you may call it crackling. I call it damn good. I'll post my Chicken Breast recipie soon.

Fighting for the crispies on top of a pork roast at Christmas. There's nothing like it. Some of you may call it crackling. I call it damn good.

I always get funny looks when I ask for them, and the extremely well-done portions of ribs, etc--the crusts as I call them. But I haven't got a Danish cell in my body.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

When my friend (who is Chinese) was married, his brother brought two roast pigs to the reception. I've been told it's the custom to have two pigs, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to represent. Perhaps the bride and groom. The pigs were young, perhaps less than 100 lbs each when alive. Each pig was sliced into bite size pieces with feet and head on the serving platter. After everyone was done I got to take home the heads which had lots of crispy skin still attached. I've lately been trying to give up eating pork. Pigs have expressive faces and when I look at one I'm always reminded of people that I know.

Michael

Az, you don't need a Danish cell in you to enjoy crispy pork skin. And the only funny looks you'd get at our Christmas Eve dinner is one that says "Hey, you BETTER not be eating all of those or we'll hurt you. Real bad." heehee Michael, if pigs are reminding you of people, that means some people are reminding you of pigs. I can't imagine that those people are considered to be good friends if that's how you see it... :wink:

Chicken Breasts! It's moderate fat but oh so delicious. This one is called... Butter and Oil Seared Chicken Breast with Parma Ham It's easy! You will need One chicken breast per person (boneless, skinless chicken breasts) 2 slices proscuitto (parma ham) per chicken breast, sliced VERY thin 1/2 cup white wine Parmesan cheese (grate from a block, please, not the powder in the can) 2 Tablespoons E V Olive Oil 2 Tablespoons Butter Salt, pepper, paprika flour To prepare! Butterfly the chicken breats as this makes cooking time easy. Salt both sides. Add salt, pepper, and paprika to the flour, mix. Coat both sides of the chicken breast in the seasoned flour. Heat skillet, add butter and oil, mix well as they heat. When oil and butter are foaming a bit, reaching smoke point, add the chicken on one side. Cook for five minutes, then flip. Cook on second side for five minutes. As chicken is cooking, be ready with cheese and grater, and the parma ham. When chicken is done on second side, remove to a plate for resting. Grate on a bit of parmesan, then place the thin parma ham over top. Add a bit more parmesan. While the chicken rests, add the white wine to the skillet to deglaze the pan, and grate more parmesan into the skillet. Stir gently, allowing good bits to come off of the skillet and mix with the wine and cheese. You may add flame to this to burn off the alcohol quicker. And it looks fun to light up the skillet. Plate chicken breasts. Take a spoon, and add several spoonfuls over each chicken breast. This can be served with any number of vegetables, Broccoli and carrots go very well, as does asparagus. For presentation, this chicken breast in the middle of the plate, surrounded by broccoli looks best. Now, you will make this, and when you see that salted, cured ham melting on to of the chicken breast, and those little bits of slowly melting parmesan cheese, you'll droooooooool. Option: You can add a bit of truffle or shaved mushroom on top of the chicken breasts after they have cooked, but before you lay on the ham. The first time I made this, my sister dropped a piece on the floor and cried. That's how good she thought it was. (I hope this was the recipie Fox was talking about)

I'm making it tonight. Pretty easy to put together when everything is in the fridge... Except the lady at the deli at the local supermarket sliced the parma ham very thin, and piled it all together so it became a mess. It's no longer nice slices, but tiny little scraggly shreds. I need to scope out all the places in this new city for buying all of the special ingredients... I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Maybe I'll make Chris do it...