Ready Steady Cook

Guest Allu

Guest Allu

"The idea is incredibly simple: Two chefs and members of the audience attempt to make a meal within 20 minutes using ingredients "brought in" by the audience members (to a value of 10 USD) and anything from the larder (just about anything a normal person would have)." My 10 $ ingredients: vendace (or salmon) bacon broccoli sweet potato cloudberry rye-meal (if not in larder) luquid salmiac i suggest the chef make vendace and bacon pie inside rye-meal paste.

I would cut some of the sweet potato to small sausage shapes, depending on size, and boil before wrapping strips of grilled bacon round skewering with cocktail sticks, sprinkling with sweet five spice for a starter.

Then I'd use an egg and a little corn flour to make a coating with the rye-meal and some dried mixed herbs, coat the salmon in this and fry, while I cooked the broccoli with ginger and sesame oil. The rest of the boiled sweet potato cut off pieces would be mashed and mixed with a little sesame oil for a different taste to the starter, and served with the salmon and broccoli.

I'm not sure what cloudberry and "luquid whatsit" are but no doubt I would use those to make a desert. However, 2 courses in 20 mins is more than enough for the moment!

We have this programme in the UK with Fern Britain and she is a complete asshole on it I'm afraid, but she does wear heels so I suppose that's some compensation :smile:

<font size=1> Posted Image

Click For Freestyle Fashions </font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-05-03 10:15 ]</font>

Guest Allu

Now I am starving. After reading your text I try to forget following rumour: "In hell there is french butler, english chef, creek chauffeur, swedish mobilephones, russian employees and finnish charity. Liquid salmiac or sal-ammoniac is very strong candy. Taste is 100% opposite to teddycandies. Finnish and danish love salmiac. What would you (and others) buy?

Reminds me of the guy who went to heaven expecting Chinese food, English home, Indian Wife, and American salary. However, he ended up in hell where the devil presented him with Chinese home, English food, Indian salary, and American Wife :smile: Anyway, I digress. I'm still not any the wiser. I'll leave recpies for desert to you lot...

How about a sweet potato and bacon tart? I think the contrast of flavours would be excellent. We could thin slice the sweet potato and make the outer layer of the tart with bacon. Some cooked and crumbled bacon could go between the sweet potato layers to really carry the flavour throught the dish, and uncooked bacon would be used for the frame. But twenty minutes is a very short time if making a large version of this, so it's not a great idea. Maybe a mashed sweet potato and bacon creation? In the last few minutes, the mixture could be shaped and put uner a broiler to give it a crispy golden finish. Like a crust, and the rye meal could be used to help that.

• 4 months later...

OK, I'm going to post some new $10 ingredients in the hope of some mouth watering inspiration from our 3 or 4 resident chefs: Shoulder of lamb Mangetout Soft thick fresh chinese noodles Cherry tomatoes Large Bunch of coriander Sweet chestnuts Bananas A coconut

Mange tout, doesn't that mean eat everything? I would like to take some of the tomatoes and the corriander and use that as a dressing for the noodles. That would be my first idea. Banana and coconut, ideas of a dessert come to mind, but I am not good with desserts. I'm not in a cooking mood today, so the ideas are a bit short. I think that if we go by the twenty minute rule, the only way to prepare the lamb is by cutting it up. Without the limit, I would love to remove the bone, butterfly it, pretty much, and grill the whole piece.

Mange tout, doesn't that mean eat everything?

Correct Laurie - in this case they are very young peas still in the pod, and yes you eat the pod as well. Very nice they taste too.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Think of them like tender green beans, but of a flat variety with little bumps in them. On sale at a greengrocers near you now! Don't worry about the 20 minute limits. We can produce some more interesting recipes if we give ourselves a bit more time. We don't have to fit in the TV show slot, so we can take it more easy :smile:

• 8 months later...

OK I'm going to resurrect this thread. It's not a RSC problem, but I read on the net that someone unlocked the secret to KFC's secret recipe. Here it is: genuine KFC secret recipe 2 cups flour 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp thyme 1/2 tsp basil 1/2 tsp oregano 1 tbsp celery salt 1 tbsp black pepper 1 tbsp dry mustard 4 tbsp paprika 2 tsp garlic salt 1 tsp ground ginger 3 tbsp MSG (Accent) Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. Dip chicken pieces in beaten eggs Then turn them over in regular bread crumbs (commercial) Finally plunge them in the flour-spices mixture (above) Heat oven to 350 degrees Place chicken in a tray and cover with foil (shiny side out) Cook 40 minutes. Remove the foil then cook for another 40 minutes Baste lightly with oil 5 minutes before the end Let stand 5 minutes and serve. If you count them, there are indeed "11 herbs and spices." Who can beat me to making it up and give a report on if it really tastes like the genuine thing.

Sounds great Fox! I'm a southern boy at heart and will give it ago for sure.Hopefully I won't make a hash of it and will let you know how it turns out. . :wink: Next week maybe...as I had chicken stuffed with apricots, French beans, home grown peas(with a hint of mint)new potatoes, fresh baked bread and white wine just last nite. jim

This takes about 20-25 minutes - depending on rice.

Chicken Katsu

You need:

Bottle of Tonkatsu sauce ($3 at Asian Market)

Panko ($1.24 at Asian Market -- These are Japanese bread crumbs)

Lean, Skinless, Bonless Chicken

Long grain white rice

Flour

One or two eggs

Cooking oil

Skillet

Pan and lid to cook rice, or rice steamer

----

Prep:

Make sure your chicken is thawed before starting. :wink:

If your rice takes longer than 15 minutes to cook, boil the water at once and get that rice cooking if you want it done when the chicken is done.

Cut any excess fat off the chicken, and do your best to flatten the chicken out. Don't go overboard. Put the chicken on a cutting board and just press down on the thicker parts of the chicken. This is so it cooks faster.

Put the skillet on medium heat and just let it sit for a few minutes to warm up. After it has warmed up, coat the bottom with cooking oil (you dont need much)

Put some flour on a paper plate

Put some Panko on a separate paper plate

Break an egg into a bowl and use a fork and whip it up, so the yolk and clear stuff is all mixed up nice.

Coat the cicken in flour and then drag it through the egg so its coated, and then coat the chicken in the Panko. (ie, "bread the chicken") Set it aside and repeat for all the chicken you have.

Once the oil has warmed up, put the breaded chicken into the skillet and leave it on medium heat. Flip the chicken every 3-4 minutes. You want the chicken to be golden-brown and thoroughly cooked (Salmonilla is bad).

When everything is cooked, put the chicken on a bed of rice, cut chicken down center and then across the sides. Drizzel Tonkatsu sauce over the chicken and rice.

If you'd like, you can add other seasonings while its cooking, but keep it all light stuff: small amount of pepper and/or salt. Also, you can dice some scallions and put them on the dish after the tonkatsu sauce is applied - this is mainly for color.

Total time: About 20-25 minutes.

Wow, that Chicken Katsu sounds good. I'll have to see if I can get all of the ingredients. If so, I owe someone a good meal, so I'll have to see if I can manage to pay back what I owe. Thanks for the tip!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 3 weeks later...

Well I gave that KFC secret recipe deal a try.Bought the extra bits needed and tried to follow the instructions to a T.

The chicken tasted real good,infact it was better than that ,it was superb!

The question is,did it taste like KFC? Probably not... although it tasted good, my cooking and methods may have taken something away from what it was supposed to taste like.

I shall revisit this recipe again and see if I can improve on my ist attempt.Truth be known,I am far better at eating food than I am at cooking it.. :wink:

I have forgotten what this is called (it's Cantonese but with Vietnamese overtones). I had it at Kathy's house last week Friday.

Wide rice noodles, cooked al dente.

Ice cold broth made from fish sauce, garlic, Thai chilis, and some other unidentifiable herbs and spices. The secret of the meal's success. I suppose I'll have to marry the lady to find out what it is.

Assorted garnishes (lettuce, cilantro, basil, mint leaves, carrots, pork stomach, beef tripe, roasted duck, roasted sweet pork).

Her mom was impressed that I went back for two more servings.

Michael

KFC is distinctive because, well, after cooking all of that chicken in that oil, the oil itself will give flavour. And they have a trap in the bottom of the fryer for bits that float down, and that becomes the base for the gravy. My older sister used to work there many years ago. Assistant manager, before she wised up about the stress and overwork and found a better job. Why try to copy something else, when you can just make it your own and enjoy? As for Michael's Asian meal experience, it sounds great. I am surprised the broth is served cold. Room temperature would have made sense, unless it is cold to be more refreshing for summer. I've hearld of dishes, especially Japanese, where the soba noodles are served cold, on the side, and one dips them into hot broth before eating. That is something I would love to try.

Just a quick bit about chicken and deep frying... Okay, I can brag, the ideas below are well known to me, certainly. But some advice if you'll take it, anyone who wants to try chicken, is marinate your chicken pieces before frying. Alton Brown, film maker aqnd host of Good Eats, recommends butter milk. I have yet to try that, but it looks good. Since you are going to coat the chicken and fry it, the marinating can be whatever you like without fear of changing the colour. The idea is to have a tender bit of chicken under that wonderfully crispy coating. And remember, folks, when dealing with chicken, safety first! Do not cross contaminate, keep everything clean, lost of soap and hot water, and remember, make sure you wash your hands a lot, especially before touching your mouth or face! My younger sister had food poisoning once because she did something out of habit while cooking chicken. Needless to say, my mother and I were up at 2am to take her to the walk in clinic, and she had to vomit so hard, she had black eyes. So PLEASE be careful when handling chicken!

Fried Chicken. Mmmmmm! My wife, a true southern bell, follows the recipe of her mother and grandmother (and, if the truth be known, probably a few more generations back as well.) South Carolina farm wives all. When my mother was still alive, there was a friendly competition between my wife and mother to see who's was the "best." My mother fried her chicken "Maryland" style. My wife's southern fried chicken melts in your mouth. Hot, golden brown, mouth watering good. Boy, talk about being between the rock and the hard place. My wife has, on occasion, merinated chicken in buttermilk. And, like Laurie, she stresses cleanliness -- thoroughly washing the chicken as well as the utensils and her hands.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Honey-Glazed Salmon Burgers.. 2/3 cup honey 2/3 cup ketchup 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 can (14 3/4 oz.) salmon drained 1 cup plain dried bread crumbs 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper 3 egg whites 4 hamburger buns, untoasted In a small bowl, combine honey, ketchup, vinegar, horseradish, garlic, and red pepper flakes until well blended. Reserve half of sauce to use as a condiment. In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients, except buns. Blend in 2 Tablespoons reserved sauce. Divide salmon mixture into 4 patties, 1/2-to 3/4-inch thick. Place patties on well-oiled grill, 4-6 inches from hot coals. Grill, turning 2 to 3 times and basting with sauce, until burgers are browned and heated through. Serve with reserved honey barbecue sauce and buns. Enjoy!

Guest Allu

Smoked salmon with white bread and white wine. I love that. Maybe with cold white garlic mayonaise.

I wish I had the money for some smoked salmon right about now... I thought this was appropriate, being the cooking thread, and since my old diaries used to talk a lot about bread... finally, after a long time, I have some time to make bread. It's rising on the stove as we speak. And amazingly enough, I didn't even need to look at a recipie. I measured the flour, guessed on the water, guessed on the salt, used a yeast packet to avoid measuring, and so far, it's excellent after the kneading. So, who else likes bread? (And yes, this will be the first time I have had a chance to make home made bread for Chris to try, let's hope it is ready when he gets home from work)

I quite like bread. My parents made home-made bread many years ago. Hm, that's something to try with the kids.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I also love fresh bread and rolls.I bake them myself and do a pretty good job of it.. :wink: Those idiot proof bread makers are a boon..... just dump in the ingredients and hit the go button. Three hours later and .."DING!".. there you have it, perfect bread, just like Grandma used to bake. :D:o jim

I love fresh bread and if I have the time prefer to cook it myself. In fact prefer to cook everything myself as a) I like to cook I find it therpeutic and :o I like to know what's in the food I eat. I think the only sauce I buy ready made is a bolognaise sauce. I find it amazing in this day and age that we are giving and eating ourselves, foods which have been processed to death. Kiddies foods being the worst. They take a piece of meat i.e chicken, mash it all up with God knows what, turn it into shapes to be fed to our children. It's all too fast. The kids get used to it and then that's them for the rest of their lives eating junk with all the goodness processed out of it... am on my soap box time to step down :wink: Where was I... yes I love home made bread :D brie and wine

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Julie, there are ways to avoid all of that processed stuff for kids. Now, I have no knowledge of your little one, but for Chris and myself, we have our little girl and she is a diabetic. And I think we do a pretty good job of making sure she eats healthier. Okay, as a treat we can go to McDonalds, but she loves fruit, vegetables, heck, for some reason she loves tomatoes far too much, and it is an extra, a food she can eat a lot of without worrying about her intake. Maybe that kind of plan is something that could help all children. Many comapnies would go out of business, perhaps, but farmers would do very well. And kids would be healthier. It does cost a little bit more, buying a lot of fresh produce when it's not in season locally, but it is worth it, I think. And I love to cook as well, and when I don't have time and try and short cut, it never turns out quite as spectacular as I would like. My standards must be very high, because I keep getting a lot of compliments at the dinner table no matter what I do.