Manhattan men in heels?

Pam

Interestting article I thought you might like! Pam February 9, 2005 Heels for Him; Alexander’s Aerie by Anna Schneider-Mayerson We all know that Manhattan men can be heels … but Manhattan men in heels? It’s happening, according to Jeffrey Kalinsky, owner of the popular boutique Jeffrey in the meatpacking district, where a Christian Dior boot with a two-inch-plus heel sold out this past fall. "I am fully supportive of such irreverence in footwear for men," Mr. Kalinsky said by phone from a prospecting trip in Milan. "We absolutely do not usually miss the opportunity to buy some sort of boot with a heel for men. We generally sell these boots out." Mr. Kalinsky doesn’t wear high heels himself ("I don’t find the pitch comfortable," he said), but Jeffrey buyer David Rubenstein, who is 5-foot-9, forges boldly ahead in models from Dior or D-Squared. "I like the little bit of height that it gives me, and I find them very comfortable," said Mr. Rubenstein, intercepting the phone from his boss. "People are like, ‘Oh my God, those boots are so cool!’ More and more, you see people wearing them." American designer Rick Owens has become known for his stiletto’d sashays down the runway at the close of his collections, which he moved to Paris in 2003. "He’s very masculine, and they come across very masculine," said Mr. Kalinsky, adding that he would’ve stocked Jeffrey with an entire run of the Owens boots, which had "a really high heel … but they didn’t produce them." Designer and Manhattan gadabout Zac Posen was spotted in a pair of cropped pants and higher-than-usual boots at a Democratic fund-raiser at Milk Studios last October. "What’s going on with that?" another male designer there remembered thinking. "All the guys were snickering." (Mr. Posen’s publicist said he was too busy for an interview.) Meanwhile, Yves Saint Laurent’s three-inch heeled "Jonny" boot has been a best-seller for the past year, with rock star Lenny Kravitz stocking up on eight pairs. "[Former company designer] Tom Ford really liked the idea that men walked more elegantly in it," said a Y.S.L. spokesperson. But can this style gain any, er, traction among ordinary Joes who just want a little lift? "I don’t know if I could swing that," said actor Adam Green, 28, who is 5-foot-10 and favors sensible footwear from Skechers, Kenneth Cole and Rockport. "There is a certain amount of practice and balance that goes on with it." Over at Church’s, the classic men’s shoe store on Madison Avenue, manager Costas Liagouris displayed some contempt for the style. It’s for "short men that haven’t come to terms with their own physique and gay men that want to go the extra mile," he said. "To change the height of the heel would be something that I just don’t foresee in the near future with our customers, in our company. It would be very radical." The anonymous designer who scoffed at Mr. Posen admitted that he bought his two pairs of Jonny boots in the fall. But he has yet to trot them out. "It’s kind of icky," he said. Like many a Brit before him, Alexander McQueen has taken up residence in the West Village. The bad-boy designer has been renting an apartment in the quaint neighborhood since at least mid-December. It’s just blocks from hiseponymous store in the meatpacking district, which opened in the summer of 2002. "Hehas friends here—it’s really more personal than work-related" said Mr. McQueen’s representative at the public-relations firm KCD, adding that his client finds "inspiration" in the city. "He absolutely hasn’t moved from London, though. He’s spent very little time here since he’s had the place." Last year, Mr. McQueen turned down the chief design job at Yves Saint Laurent in order to concentrate on his own label. Reportedly, he was "depressed" at even being considered for the post.

Hey Pam, That's awesome! I have to admit that one neighborhood I never go street heeling in is the West Village. Do you have the source and date (month, issue, volume info) for that article? I'd like to look it up and post it and possibly buy a copy of the magazine (if it was in a mag) of it. Thanks, Kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Looks Like the Article was in the 9 Feb 2005 Issue of the New York Observer.

There is a link to the article, but I keep getting the wrong article.

But here is a link to the Online Page of the Newspaper.

http://www.nyobserver.com/main2.htm

I think this is the boot.

Posted Image

Gary0618

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

Pam:-) That's a great article you posted here. If it's starting in New York City, then men wearing heels may spread elsewhere soon. We can only hope. Virl3:-) Welcome to the HH Place Forum. Do you have any pics of you in your shoe collection? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

The boots aren't really very attractive. The only thing they have going for them is a heel that is higher than traditional for a man's boot. The guys themselves, however, look like fugitives from the "Survivor." Not the best way to show new boots off.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Pam--about being another choice for the heel meet, yup--sure seems like a good place to visit. Almost as if you want to meet up in the West Village initially now, that way then you can head up 6th Ave to 8th Street, cruise all the way East to Broadway, then up Broadway through Union Square (Barnes and Nobles, DSW, Strand's Books), then West on 17th to Fifth Ave, up to 23rd and west to East of Eighth.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Regarding the

... Rick Owens show. ...

First I must say I'm kinda happy to see men wearing high heels 'officially' at a fashion show nowadays. Seems the right way to me althought I didn't like the boots they wear. Could have been more elegant (the girl in the last picture on the right looks good; wouldn't be so if she wore boots like the guy in the middle) like a nice pair of blade heel boots, ankle- or knee-high in some darker colors w/o or just a little platform. But that's personal taste...

CU!

-Mike

Maybe the guys outfits would co-ordinate much better if their high heeled boots that they are wearing were more in style and less frumpy. It's like someone is implying that yes the men are wearing high heels, but lets make them look more masculine by having them wear more clunky styles. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Unfortunately, while the article is initially explorative, it degenerates into a decidedly negative commentary on the idea of men wearing heels. And the runway pics don't help us either, for as the article says, "Ick!" Unfortunately, if that's all the pictoral exposure we get, our cause is doomed before it gathers steam, and will forever be remembered in the public's mind as "ick." If you'd rather not be looked on as "ick," then do something about it - write the idiot who wrote the article, and send them a picture of your most fashionable, conservative pair of heels, and you in them, along with a respectful request that he/she revisit the subject outside the very limited (and fairly brain-dead) world of fashion. Despite what some columnists would like to believe, while designers do play a role, and their comments can relegate a fashion trend to the junkpile in a heartbeat, they only play a minor role, with the rest of society's mind being made up by... society.

I agree that sending pictures of nice looking well dressed men wearing heels to the publisher would speak volumes to further the cause of men in heels and highlight the ridiculousness of the photos he printed. As far as pictures of men in heels go, a year or so ago, perhaps, Daz posted a picature of himself wearing his boots. He was wearing a blue, long sleved, dress shirt, a darker blue tie and a pair of dark pants with his black stiletto heel boots. He looked quite handsome and, at the time, I suggested that he wear that combination to his work place. Now, should the publisher print that picture of Daz in his publication, Daz would become the latest "sex symbol" over night and a lot more guys would soon appear on the streets wearing high heels. :P

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.