Mr. Richards, too. -- Updated with Part 2

Mr. Richards, Too! Part I Sam arrived at the office, as usual about 5 minutes early and got settled at his desk. It was early December and starting to get cold out. He looked down and admired the new black leather boots that were peeking out from underneath his black denim casual Friday jeans. He liked the look of the elongated pointed toes and enjoyed the curious floating like sensation he experienced when he wobbled his ankles over the narrow 4 inch spike heels. He looked over towards Judy’s and Carol’s desks wondering if either of them would top his heels for the day. “Morning, Sam.” Sam looked up to acknowledge his coworker Bill Morgan. “Hi, Bill. Good Morning. How’d the meeting with Melborne Associates go yesterday?” Bill shrugged off his coat, reached behind his desk, and turned on his computer. “I think they’re going to sign, just the way we proposed; extended support and all.” Sam replied, “Might be an extra merry Christmas for the Morgans, eh?” “Hey, catch those boots. Nice. How high are they?” “They come to just below my knees.” “No, no. I mean the heels. They look pretty wicked to walk on.” Sam smiled. “Come on, Bill. You know I’ve got heels higher than these.” “I never really kept score, but they’re so narrow. What are those, about 3 inches?” Sam was about to explain they were over 4 inches high when Sarah Hanneman walked in the door. “Hi Bill, Sam. Whoa, great boots!” “Thanks Sarah. Yours are nice, too.” Sarah swiveled her foot around to display the one of the heels. “I guess so, but these heels are so dumpy. My daughter says they’re totally dumb. But any higher and I’d fall flat on my face, you know.” “Oh, Sarah. Those boots are still nice.” “Thanks Sam. Maybe you can take me shoe shopping some time and give me a few lessons.” “Sure Sarah! Gladly” A deep voice boomed out, “Doesn’t anybody do any work around here? Do you just compare shoes all day? Hey, great heels Sam.” Then sticking his foot out he continued, “Let’s match heels later. Low man gets the coffee?” “Mr. Richards!” exclaimed Sarah, “Not you, too.” Harry Richards, the company owner, leaned against a desk and held one foot up high. Sam got a good look then said, “Payless, I think it’s called ‘The Rachel,’ looks like size 11. About 3 3/4 inch heels. On sale this week for $16.99. Bakers has the same boot but under their brand for $34.95, I can’t remember the style name or number, sorry.” Sounding proud of Sam, Bill said, “There aren’t many shoes Sam doesn’t know. Too bad there isn’t a ‘Name That Shoe’ TV quiz show. We could all quit consulting for banks and retire on the winnings.” Sarah turned to Harry Richards, “Those do go nicely with your suit. I’ve never seen you with pointed toes and spike heels before.” He tipped one foot back and looked at the toe. “The toes might be a bit narrow at that. No problem with the heels for me, though. Remember the slides I wore at the company picnic last summer; 5 inches. But these are my first true stilettos. A little wobbly but I really like the sound they make.” Just then the phone on Sam’s desk started ringing. He reached out to answer it but felt very clumsy. He knew the phone was somewhere over on his right, but was having a hard time finding it. After a struggle he fumbled the receiver to his ear. “Hello? … Huh, no… Wow! I really overslept; I’ll be there in an hour. Bye.” He hung up the phone then added, “Nice dream, though.” Part II Sam jumped out of bed and took a quick shower. He was still feeling a little groggy and confused after being awoken from such a wonderful and real seeming dream; He ran the water colder than usual. Feeling more awake and energized, he realized it indeed was casual Friday and he put on a pair of black denim jeans and a dark blue pullover jersey with a wide yellow stripe around it. Being late he realized he’d have to drive into town and pay for parking as the busses run infrequently after the morning rush. He paused at the door to slip on his loafers then figured since he was driving he might as well continue the dream for another 30 minutes or so and change in the car. He walked back to his bedroom and took out his knee high, pointed toe, 4 inch stiletto heeled boots. They had arrived in the mail on the previous day and were the boots that had apparently triggered the dream. The slightly flared legs of his jeans fit nicely over the boots. He looked in the full length mirror behind the bedroom door and saw that when he was standing, about 1 inch of the heel showed below the jeans. He felt a little sad that he’d have to change into other shoes before he got to work; to him, the outfit looked great, and not a bit feminine. He glared menacingly at the mirror and growled, “Are you man enough to wear these boots?” He walked quietly down the carpeted hall and stairs, then across the parking lot to his car and headed off to work. The drive was quick and uneventful. Apparently he had left at the perfect time and traffic was at a minimum. Luckily there were a couple spaces in the parking lot that was closest to his destination, though it wasn’t the cheapest, he felt short on time so was willing to pay a little extra. He reached under the passenger seat to take out his somewhat dressy black leather athletic shoes and they weren’t there! He searched the back seat, then pretzled himself and looked under both seats. He usually had at least 3 pairs of shoes in his car. But, he hadn’t used his car for a few days then remembered the last time he drove, he had taken his neighbor’s son shopping as a favor and had cleaned out the accumulated shoes in preparation. A quick check in the trunk also yielded nothing. He had three choices: go home and get shoes, call work and say he wasn’t coming after all, or he could buy a pair of men’s shoes somewhere. Going back home was out of the question, the round trip would take well over an hour and he was already late. He didn’t think calling in sick or with car troubles would sit well after they knew he had overslept. He was preparing a presentation that was due Monday and he didn’t want to have to go back in over the weekend. Maybe he could buy shoes at noontime, but for now, the local shoe stores wouldn’t be open for another hour, and there weren’t any cheap shoe outlets in this end of the downtown district. “Well, there’s always option ‘D’,” thought Sam. He got out of the car and strode out of the parking garage and down the sidewalk towards work. His company was located in a district of upscale clothing stores and the sales staff was starting to arrive for work. They were all dressed in the latest fashions and Sam wished he could take a few minutes to foot watch; there were a lot of women wearing boots similar to his, but he spotted at least two pairs with heels that topped his by at least an inch. The loud click of his heels blended in with the noise of the other heel wearers and nobody gave him a second glance. Having skipped breakfast in his rush to get to work, Sam nervously entered the coffee shop that was located just off the lobby of his office building. To him, his heels sounded like gunshots on the hard surfaced floor, but nobody seemed to notice. He was glad all the floors in his office were carpeted. At the takeout counter, Shelly, one of the morning waitresses, greeted him. “Good morning, Sam. A little late today?” “I forgot to set my alarm and overslept. Coffee and a raspberry Danish, please.” A few moments later, Shelly placed the bag and takeout coffee cup on the counter and he handed her the money. While she was making change, she glanced up and said, “Have you gotten taller?” Sam’s mouth went dry and he didn’t know what to say so he pretended to not hear her, “What?” “I was saying you look taller today. I guess it’s ‘cause I’m shorter, not wearing my platforms. You have a good day, Sam” “Uh, thanks. You too, Shelly.” Sam was afraid she’d look at his feet as he walked out, but she turned her attention to another customer. He went back into the lobby and got into a waiting elevator then pressed the button for his floor. On the ride up, he started to have serious doubts about his decision to wear the boots to work. He had just decided to go back to the car and wait for the shoe stores to open, when the elevator stopped on one of the lower floors to take on a passenger. Much to his dismay, it was Bill Morgan, who worked at the next desk! His company had a stockroom on one of the lower floors and Bill had apparently just been there on some errand. “Hi Sam.” “Oh, good morning Bill.” “Kind of late aren’t we?” “I overslept.” “Say, are you OK. You look pale, like you’d just seen a ghost.” “Fine, Bill. Just rushed, that’s all.” Of course Sam was in a total panic. Having just decided how foolish it would be to wear the boots into his office, he suddenly found himself forced into the decision. Consoling himself that he could hide behind his desk all morning and buy ordinary shoes at lunch time, he followed Bill Morgan out of the elevator and down the hall to their office. Sam was very skilled at walking on high heels so there was nothing especially noticeable about his posture or stride as he entered the main office, said his good morning to the receptionist, and entered his shared work area. The way his desk was positioned hid his feet, so he felt safe behind his desk and with his project due Monday, thought nothing would be taking him away from his haven.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...