Change in acceptance

loveheel

Have you ever given it some thought ? Many people on this board, including myself, have with time grown bolder in wearing higher heels outside. Last year I wouldn't have though of wearing HH sandals outside. A couple of days ago I was shopping in my 4.5 inch Chaka sandals (bought at Bakers). Is this purely an issue of confidence, or have we just gotten more impervious to other people's reactions ? I doubt that the general public's attitude towards men in heels has changed. For that there is just not enough exposure. I think that most people that see me in the mall or on the street in heels, probably see their first guy ever in heels. So, if there reactions have not changed, are we just becoming less sensitive to other people's reactions ? Sometimes I think I must be kidding myself, and that people must be having a serious laugh behind my back (not that I have ever noticed). While I love my heels and strongly believe in freedom of fashion choice, I also don't want to become the village fool, ignorant of what goes on in other people's minds.

Maybe the answer is that a lot of members can thank these great forums for giving us the confidence to strut their stuff in public. Newcomers to this site are full of fears about venturing an inch outside their front doors in heels. And yet, once they have read posting after posting from us veteran street-heelers saying that the world does not cave in if you give it a go, then they do give it a go. This causes them to realise that the demons and fears were all in their own minds, and that their first attempts at street-heeling give them a hell of a buzz and feelings of liberation without them getting beaten-up or someone fetching a policeman. Although I think the above is the prime reason for members having greater confidence, I suggest that in fact the public are becoming more accepting as well. I don't mean specifically about guys-in-heels because the majority of passers-by have probably never seen a guy in heels, but as my wife points out, society is gradually getting more and more relaxed and accepting of whatever anybody wants to wear. It is becoming an "Anything goes" culture where individualism in all forms of clothing (including high heels) is accepted far more than it used to be in the very different stiff and formal times of my own youth. One only has to look at just how many people have "come out" and submitted full-length photos of themselves for my "Put a Face To The Name" thread. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I think the vast majority has to do with increased confidence, but I also believe that some credit must go towards a slight increased awareness on the part of the general public with respect to the concept of a guy wearing a pair of heels. Witness Jason Ritter's promo for his movie. Although more tongue in cheek (and poor choice of color!), that also furthered the exposure. Ancillary to that is the skirt-wearing men trend. This has really picked up steam over the last years, and even Pitt, as well as other fashion moguls, have commented that it's a trend that will soon accelerate.

I would agree that it's more a matter of increased confidence is an important factor when it comes to being out in public rather than any sort of acceptance by society of what we do, something that might take some time in coming, given that the majority of said society still equates clothing with gender. And yes, we do manufacture our own fears and worries about what society will think of us, but it was no different back in the 60's when men wore their hair long or sported earrings. Today, it's women's shoes (and, in some cases, skirts), but the concept hasn't changed as men like us seek to tear down the barriers of fashion and wear the clothing we like, regardless of the gender classification. The more we venture out in public, the more comfortable, and confident we become. So, we have to keep on doing it.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I suggest that in fact the public are becoming more accepting as well. I don't mean specifically about guys-in-heels because the majority of passers-by have probably never seen a guy in heels, but as my wife points out, society is gradually getting more and more relaxed and accepting of whatever anybody wants to wear. It is becoming an "Anything goes" culture where individualism in all forms of clothing (including high heels) is accepted far more than it used to be in the very different stiff and formal times of my own youth.

Heelfan, I am sure you are right about this. Now that people don't get shocked anymore by people pearcing their tongue, heels on a guy is probably not a big deal. Also, over the last 30 years I think it has become less accepted to show negative reactions to anything in public.

In particular in the US.

In any case, i am going to cruise along in my heels. Now that I have been wearing sandals outside, I can kick myself for not having done it sooner. I have always had trouble with hot feet, and before my only choice was those nasty looking men sandals. While men's shoes are only boring, men's sandals are the ultimate fashion disaster.

Now that people don't get shocked anymore by people pearcing their tongue, heels on a guy is probably not a big deal. Also, over the last 30 years I think it has become less accepted to show negative reactions to anything in public.

In particular in the US.

Bingo! It's no longer "politically correct" to bash anyone for just about any reason. Although this trend is positive in many regards, as a society we must be careful to ensure that some behaviors, such as pediphilia and rape, always remain blacklisted.

Now that I have been wearing sandals outside, I can kick myself for not having done it sooner. I have always had trouble with hot feet, and before my only choice was those nasty looking men sandals. While men's shoes are only boring, men's sandals are the ultimate fashion disaster.

I agree! With my narrow feet, men's sandals (rarely available in differing widths) are either too short, or too wide. And the big, fat, wide, ugly straps aren't too appealing, either... I'm not into spaghetti straps, but your average woman's sandal looks a lot better on my feet than your average men's sandal.

GBJ wrote about Jason Ritter:

Witness Jason Ritter's promo for his movie. Although more tongue in cheek (and poor choice of color!),

It occured to me that if Jason Ritter color coordinated his heels with his suit, the look would be more appropriate and on-purpose, as if he really wanted to wear heels in public, rather than the artificial "tongue in cheek" effect he achieved.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Who knows? Maybe it was his first time wearing heels, and he hadn't a clue as to how to color coordinate?

Well, that certainly sounds logical. Heck, I had that same trouble in the beginning! So, nobody's perfect! :D

Lemme guess... pink pumps with green pants?

Just kidding...

HA! That's a good one! Fortunately, I wasn't THAT clueless! :)