50s/60's high heels

high10

Heels were generally thicker, and more underslung. Many of the more fancy versions had a somewhat Bell-bottom appearance as well, (or elephant's foot look--the heels getting slightly larger again near the base). Many of the boots had a back zipper; side-zippers weren't put in boots until the mid-60's. Since back zipper boots are much easier to put on, I don't know why the change was made.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I think those wide-tipped stilettos were a fashion feature that didn't last all that long, though it might have returned from time to time. It might also have been a way to make stilettos more acceptable by causing less damage to floors. The first stilettos were very slender and had a much more graceful curve than the ones currently in fashion. I think the heel height was measured straight up the front of the heel, so the standard 21/2" or 3" of those days would be equivalent, I guess, to something like 41/2" or 43/4" in today's measuring.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's too bad that that era is over! I personally don't think that you'll see shoes made like that in that kind of quanity, again! Real examples are getting quite "rare & scarse" in anything over good condition!. . . .The new modern versions, just aren't the same. jay_nyca1

hi how did the 50/60's stiletto closed high heel shoe differs from its 80's,90's and today counterpart

First of all, back then, things were nearly hand made either byshoe cobblers or by well trained workers in shoe factories, and naturally, all leather hides were used in the making of the shoes, and in some instances, the hides were hand sellected and hand treated & dyed before the shoes were made or cobbled. And back then, sizing was alot different too, you could be a pair of shoes that were wide in the toes and narrow in the heels, and vise versa, abd some were being made from custom foot lasts if you go high up the price scale. And of course the styling is alot different between what was made back then and what is made in the last 20 years or so! You can't compensate for quality! Alot of shoes that are being mass produced now are being made in China and other second world or third world countries and that kind of quality from back then has gone. Only in some of the higher end and high end designer shoes do you see some quality, but at the exspense of high prices! I hope that this answers your questions?

jay_nyca1