Led Zeppelin and High Heels

genebujold

Rock bands have been instrumental in advancing the cause of men wearing heels. Several bands have worn heels on stage, as have many musicians in general.

In short, they've pushed the edge of the envelope.

No band has done more for expanding the realm of music than Led Zeppelin.

It is in this spirit I would like to share with you a slightly updated report I recently wrote on the Led Zeppelin song, Stairway to Heaven, beginning with a simple definition:

Definition: It's what she's buying.

Origen: The most widely requested and played rock and roll song of all time of the same title, by the English band, Led Zeppelin, debuting in record stores on November 8, 1971.

Early reports credited it as "the best musical representation of an orgasm I've ever heard" and "art."

Detractors claimed that it contained the following backmask:

"It’s my sweet Satan

The one who’s little path would make me sad, who’s power if fake.

*You give your ewe, muted, sad Satan.

There was a little tool shed where you made us suffer, sad Satan."

Source: http://www.ithaca.edu/beins/methods/demos/stairway.htm

*Additional backmask lyrics added by myself after listening to a much-improved copy.

Regardless, the song remains the same.

By January 7, 1991, the album was certified has having gone platinum more than ten times (more than ten million copies sold). The sheet music itself has sold more than a million copies, more than 70 times the average "big hit." One genious calculated that given the airplay, length of the song, and the radio stations, it has been "on the air" more than 44 years without pause. Throughout the world, in countdowns to the number one song of all time, it continuously and almost unanimously (more than 99.93% of the time), appears as #1.

Emotionally, the song hits listeners on many levels. Intellectually, the ambiguous lyrics can be widely interpreted, based largely upon the listener's own experience. Musically, the chord progression from A minor to A minor 9th, G sharp to A minor 7th, G to F major 7th to G and back to A minor are complex, haunting, and stirring. In large part the chord progression is responsible for how people feel about this song. But the band also punctuate this electric variation with an indominable progression of rythem which can only be classed as pure genious for it does absolutely nothing to take away from the work of musical and lyrical art and adds much to it, providing the framework and structure so necessary to both the flowery and intense portions of this piece.

And it makes me wonder...

Source: Gene' Bujold, Jun 26, 2004

And here was me thinking it was just a great song. :roll: A friend of mine suggested that it was the ultimate wake up alarm song with it's gentle start and slow build up to full on rock.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Frankly, I must be one of the 0.07% out there because I detest the song, both because of its lyrincs and the way I feel when I am listening to the haranging and yawing of the music. I get more jollies out of listening to Scriabin's Black Mass (9th Sonata?).

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

what about Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Pink Floyd just to name a fewRock/Metal bandsthat have influenced NEW musicians? Iron Maiden don't wear heels now,but I don't know anout 'Priest or' 'Floyd though! although in Iron Maiden's "women in Uniform" video (singer at the time) Paul Dianno wore 2.5" block heeled boots. as for Led Zeppelin I never liked Led Zeppelin that much - sorry! later, TXT-1

I would disagree.

http://www.kraftwerk.com/

I certainly respect your opinion, but I think 999 out of 1000 musicologists would disagree, based on the vast influence Zeppelin had on contemporary and subsequent music. By comparison Kraftwerk's influence lies towards the other end of the scale.

I visited their website using the link you provided and listened to some of their samples. I'm not impressed. Your House Mix 2004 04 03 is certainly better! And I believe I can do better, too, using FL Studio: http://www.fruityloops.com/

I noticed you use Sound Forge. How is it? Studio's very powerful, once you finally learn the interface.

If Jeff or Firefox will allow it, I can post a small MP3 file on the image server so you can hear a bit of my work.

what about Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Pink Floyd just to name a fewRock/Metal bandsthat have influenced NEW musicians?

Iron Maiden don't wear heels now,but I don't know anout 'Priest or' 'Floyd though!

although in Iron Maiden's "women in Uniform" video (singer at the time) Paul Dianno wore 2.5" block heeled boots. as for Led Zeppelin I never liked Led Zeppelin that much - sorry!

later,

TXT-1

Sure they have! But I do not believe that they've had as much influence on rock music over all as has Led Zeppelin.

As for their influence on wearing heels, I dunno, as I've not followed which bands have and which haven't. But there's no doubt their choice of styles of all kinds, from long hair to clothes to earrings broke the chains in many areas of men's clothing and fashion.

I certainly respect your opinion, but I think 999 out of 1000 musicologists would disagree, based on the vast influence Zeppelin had on contemporary and subsequent music. By comparison Kraftwerk's influence lies towards the other end of the scale.

Kraftwerk has directly, and indirectly influenced: Hip hop (->and modern R n B, soul), Electro, Synth, Disco, Techno (and all subgenres), House(+subgenres), pop, and even rock. Their impact on popular music cannot be overstated.

They do not wear heels thoug.. :roll:

As for rock, I hear more artists referring to Beatles or Sabbath.

I visited their website using the link you provided and listened to some of their samples. I'm not impressed. Your House Mix 2004 04 03 is certainly better! And I believe I can do better, too, using FL Studio: http://www.fruityloops.com/

don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of the songs. it's harder than you think to make it swing... I know because I try myself alot.. :)

I noticed you use Sound Forge. How is it? Studio's very powerful, once you finally learn the interface.

SF is a good sound editing tool, but not much more.

If Jeff or Firefox will allow it, I can post a small MP3 file on the image server so you can hear a bit of my work.

sure, that'd be nice.

While I've not seen the Women in Uniform video for a while (and when I did it certainly wasn't Paul DiAnno's heels I was concentrating on!) I've never seen any member of Maiden wear heels. Although you never know what Nicko might have on behind his drums! They certainly never made a habit of it. Dodgy Spandex on the other hand... As far as influential rock bands go Black Sabbath are up there with the best of 'em! Chris