Weight Loss Support

All, I am creating this thread as a "support" thread for those of us that are overweight and need help getting back into shape. I am going to admit I am about 250lbs at 5'8" (41yrs old), puts me at an alarming 38 BMI. I have tried various "diets", low fat, low carb, etc. I have tried getting back into working out, but life gets in the way. I also think wearing heels limits me in that I don't walk as briskly as I would wearing non-heels. For now, I plan on going back to more "conventional" footware for work so I will be encouraged to walk more. I also plan on wearing a pedometer and set a goal of 10,000 steps a day. In addition, I want to get back to a healthier eatting habit and workout routine. Since I am posting this, every week I plan on coming back here and updating my results. Perhaps this will encourage me to "stick to it". Please, anyone else in the same boat or maybe someone who has a success story and can offer encouragement, please chip in. Scotty

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, I'm in the same boat, way way overweight. But just bought a bicycle to try to pedal some off. Maybe we can both report any losses or gains :roll:

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Scotty and Shyguy, I am sure you know what is required, less energy input and more energy output. To decrease energy input try reading The New Glucose Revolution, written by Prof Jennie Brand-Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell and Prof Stephen Colagiuri. It about the Glycemic Index, high GI food that is digested fast is stored as fat if you don’t work it off at the same time as it is digested while low GI food is worked off as you work because it is digested slowly. Food digested slowly means you don’t feel hungry soon after and want to eat more food, so you eat less. And start walking each and every day for at least 40 minutes, preferably 60 minutes at a brisk pace before breakfast. Walking before breakfast removes the energy from your body (body fat) and not from the food you have just eaten if done after breakfast. Walking for exercise must be in addition to any other walking you do each day not in conjunction with it. Don’t just record your weight results, graph them and put up multiple copies. One on your closet door so that you see it each morning when you wake up, one on the fridge door and other places that are open to view through out your house/apartment. There are two reasons for doing this. The first is that as your graph goes down you will be heartened and encouraged to keep at it. The second is it is there in your face reminding you of your commitment to not just loose weight but to get fitter through your walking. Your fitness can be measured by taking your pulse before and after the walk. It is not a true test but does give an indication of how you are improving, so graph it as well. As time goes by your pulse rate will decrease for that 40 minute + walk. Lastly I think it is a great idea to publish your weekly results here. It does wonders for that commitment you make before all of us. It’s like the commitment you make before the public in a church when you get married. It makes you work hard to achieve what you set out to do. There is a sort of honour connected with it. There is only one thing that will stop you achieving the results you want. That is you telling your self that you can’t do it. Best wishes Jeff

I hit my all time high of 260 in early May, 2003. I am now at 201, and still slowly losing, due to adopting a low-carb lifestyle--not diet. I went from 260 to 240 in 9 days eating very little more than bacon, eggs, canned tuna fish, a handful of almonds, and another handful of vitamins and essential oils capsules every day. I didn't eat lettuce salads because up until that time I got horrible heartburn that no antacid did anything for (TUMS, Rolaids, baking soda, Pepcid, Xantac, Tagamet, Axid), for about 5 hours afterwards. Same was true with bananas. I had also been experiencing intense heartburn (GERD) about 2 hours after every meal, unless I had taken Pepcid about an hour before eating, for nearly as long as I can remember. The heartburn completely disappeared after the first 3 days. I found out on the 9th day that I could eat lettuce without heartburn due to a meal prepared by a friend's mother from Costa Rica, that I couldn't get out of eating. The next day I tried a banana--same thing. The only time my heartburn returns is when I eat more that about 100 grams of carbohydrates in a given 12-18 hours. I went from 260 to 225 without increasing my level of exercise--basically the same as the average couch potato/computer nerd. I have since January been bicycling an average of 3-4 miles a day, and if anything it slowed down my weight loss, probably due to increasing my leg muscles.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Azraelle, About 4 years ago when I was 240, I dropped down to 190lbs in about 6 months by also doing the atkins. My undoing was an anniversary cruise where I over ate lots of rich foods. Anyway, I've tried to get back into it unsuccessfully for 4 years now, mostly because of travel and staying in a hotel room every week. Now that I am back home, I am hoping to get back into working out and eatting better. Again, I am hoping by posting here it will give me incentive to stick to things this time. Scotty

I started doing Weight Watchers in 2001. In the first year I lost 70lbs. Unfortunately a big real life mess smacked me in the face and I had to stop actively doing it for a while. It took me about a year to get going again and I'm now down to 79lbs gone. The biggest thing that WW teaches you is that this isn't a diet.. it is a lifestyle change. It does sink into your head if you do it. Over that year I wasn't actively doing WW I only gained 10lbs, which considering that for about 3 months I spent more time eating out than in, is a minor miracle! The biggest dieting aide you can have though is your mind. You have to have 'want power'.. not will power. If you don't want it enough you'll pick the candy bar or whatever your favorite 'bad food' is over looseing weight every time. The other essential ingredient is forgiveness. You didn't gain all that weight in a day, you won't loose it either. You will make mistakes and go up and down. We are human and are stuck in a bad habbit. It takes time to break the habbit of not eating healthy. Whatever path of weight loss you choose research it well. Fad diets can be very unhealthy even if they are quick. I'm not sure where to put Atkins, and neither are most medical doctors. That fact alone worries me. Yes they work, but if you take Atkins for example the reason why aren't always good. Atkins works because the no/low carb diet triggers a chemical reaction within the body. The same reaction that occurs when you are starving. Is that reaction dangerous to your health? I don't know. It just doesn't sound good though! Just make sure that what you choose is right for you and safe for you then you will do well! JinxieKat

Let's think about this, OK Jinxiekat? Starvation for short periods of time was the rule rather than the exception, if you believe the evolutionary theory of the origin of man, for nearly the entire length of man's 1-3 million year history. The role of ketosis, the chemical reaction that the body goes into when real starvation occurs, as well as when you drop your carb intake below 50-60 grams a day, is to keep the body, and brain, healthy and functioning rationally for as long as possible during periods when food is no longer being eaten. So that eventually, when food is found again, it can be safely prepared and eaten again. The very fact that the human race has survived because of this very process kicking in time and time again, should be ample reason to conclude that it is more than safe, certainly not dangerous, regardless of what doctors may think. They have been known to be wrong before!!! ROFLMAO. It should be pointed out that the human race has survived and flourished without those same doctors, perhaps even BECAUSE they weren't there! Finally, one should not get caught up letting the forrest mask the trees. Which is more dangerous to a person in the long run--enduring a natural built-in bodily survival mechanism for a few months, or carrying an extra 50-100+ pounds/kilos around for years?? Or even for a lifetime. And a foreshortened lifetime at that.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

Folks, I said in another posting that I'm at the gym like 6x a week. This is because I'm also sometimes not really quite in control of what I eat. So I have to compensate for. Once I was in a similar situation and lost real 14 kg in 9 months. I went down from 86 kg to 72kg. I'm 5'10" so 72..76kg would be okay. Unfortunately, self control lasted only for a little less than 2 years. Now I'm at 90kg which is really bad. I went up to that gradually again over the past 6 years. Now I have to get back to what I did when I went down from 86kg to 72kg: I ate some special sort of 'black' bred, very low fat butter, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, reddishes and canned tuna fish. Especially one has to pay attention not to eat fat stuff in the evening like within less than 3 hrs before one goes to bed. Otherwise this is gonna add weight immediately because it's not used anymore and therefore converted into fat to get it into the body's special 'storage-cells' and out of the blood. To get it back out of those 'storage-cells' is very hard since this is the place of the 'core reserve' in case you don't have anything to eat over longer periods. The body's fat is only used after your primary energy (blood sugar) was used up. Doing some sports this happens not before you went exercising for at least 30 minutes (of course, you'll lose some weight during that time but this is only water that you sweat out). Anything less than that doesn't tackles the fat. If you want to run, run for an hour, if you workout, take the 1..1.5 hour course. Just lifting some weights or getting the rubbish out occasionally or fetching mail doesn't do the job although it's okay that you do at least something. But in order to reduce weight you got to get for it harder. You may object but this is my experience. CU! -Mike

True enough azraelle. I was simply useing Atkins as an example because I do know a bit about it. My post was intended to caution people to look before they leap into a diet plan. Not every diet is for everyone. My biggest complaint about most of the 'faddish' diets out there is that they do not teach people how to realisticly keep the weight off after the diet. Nor do they teach you how to deal with most eating situations. It is very hard on the body to constantly have ones weight flucating up and down, which is something that many people do. I've done it myself until I found a sensible eating program that helped me change a lifetime of bad habits. As with most things in life balance and moderation are key in looseing weight. I did not have any success in looseing weight, and more importantly, keeping that weight off until I found a balanced and moderate way to do so. If I wish to go out to eat and have prime rib for dinner on the weekend I know I can do so, IF I stick to healthy eating habits for the rest of the week. I can even do it and loose weight that week because that is how most people who do not have a weight problem eat. If they splurge, then they are aware of it and compensate for the rest of the week. It sounds easy, but if you are not doing that now it is not easy to learn. It is all about changing your awareness and mindset about food, if you don't do that no diet in the world will ever help you. JinxieKat

The reason the diets work at taking the weight off is because those following the diets want them to work.

I am not a fan of any diet, as the vast majority of them miss the boat with respect to the way the human body really works.

So here's my "diet," and I'm going to call it The Evolutionary Diet, since it's based on the principle that if we ate in accordance with how we evolved, we'd be lean, mean, fighting machines - without going hungry!

In short, we're not made for three meals a day. We're made to snack all day - but not on junk food. Rather, on things like nuts, berries, fruits and vegetables. You know, the kind of stuff you might expect to find wandering through the forest. Occasionally, a feast is ok, provided one doesn't overdo things.

The reason this works is because when you eat three meals a day, by the time you begin eating, unless you've snacked between meals, you're hungrier than you should be, and you will tend to overeat. The body responds, not by burning the excess calories, but because you're blood sugar is low, it's in fat-creating mode.

When you eat at a time when you're blood sugar is at normal levels, your body will actually turn excess calories into heat.

The second problem with diets is that they propose the wrong foods. Again, our bodies were never made to digest the kinds of foods we throw into it. Too much protein is very hard on our bodies, as is anything more than a very small amount of sugar. Tons of carbs don't do us much good, either.

The third problem is that our portion size is way too large, for several reasons. First of all, by eating just three meals a day, we're hungrier than we ought to be at mealtime, and our "eyes are bigger than our tummy," so we tend to put more on our plate than we would if we weren't so hungry. Secondly, we tend to make our portions about the same size as is served to us in a restuarant, which is really way too much. Third, since there's a delay between when the food goes in and when the hunger lamp is extinguished, by the time that happens we've severely overeaten. And since we do it all the time, our stomachs are overstretched, meaning that it takes more food to extinguish the hunger lamp.

So, try the following:

1. Eat throughout the day. Get rid of the idea of "mealtime." Eat when you're hungry, only limit the amount to about three good bites. Then drink some water and wait at least twenty minutes - sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger. Keep healthy foods on hand. I keep a salad in the fridge, and am always picking at it. You need between 60 and 100 ounces of water a day. Measure it if you have to.

2. Eat the food our bodies were designed (evolved) to eat: a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Choose a variety of colors from the grocery. Some nuts and berries, but don't overdo it. A little protein in the form of some meat is fine, too, unless you're a vegetarian. Cut out the milk and milk products - we were weaned around two, and it's totally the wrong kind of milk, anyway. This includes butter and cheese, and the reason you're craving it is because your system is all whacked out - follow this diet and you won't crave it any more! If it has sugar in it, stay away. That includes "high-fructose corn syrup." Sugar just porpoises our blood sugar something fierce, and insulin over-product drives the blood sugar straight into fat. Read the labels - if there are too many ingredients or if it contains chemicals, you're in the wrong section of the grocery store. Red wine is good, but no more than 2 small glasses a day. Beer is fine on occasion, but it's loaded with sugar. Can the soft drinks - try a cup or two of coffee a day, instead (without the sugar). Stick to the nuttier breads, but not too much. And take a good multivitamin, like Centrum or Shaklee. Don't overdo the vitamins... If you're feeling like you're depressed or don't have energy, take a B-complex. Flax seed oil is an excellent source of Omega-3 acids which your body needs in order to loose that weight!

3. Cut the proportions down to size. Again, about three good bites along with a glass of water. If you're still hungry after 20 minutes, have another couple bites. What's a good size? An egg. A cup of soup and a slice of bread. An apple. A bananna. Enough salad to fill a coffee cup (go light on the dressing - one spoonful).

4. Do "life-style" exercise. If you're going a short distance, walk or bike instead of taking the car. Use the stairs. Play with your kids - a lot! Don't hire others to do your yard work for you - do it yourself. Take up yoga (it's really terrific, and great for the joints). Wash your cars by hand. We were made to be on the move. It's just that our lives are built around ways not to move.

One would think they would starve on this program, but the opposite happens - you're hardly ever hungry, and since you get to eat right away, you eat less, your stomach shrinks (so you eat less - without pain). Since you're not stuffing yourselves, you have more energy...

In short, you've broken the vicious cycle of most of the other diets, including the "Modern American Diet."

Speaking of which - it's time to go play with the kid!

All, First of all, I agree if you just "diet" to lose weight and then go back to what you were doing before, you WILL gain weight again, that is what got you there in the first place. I also don't believe Atkins LONGTERM is healthy, your body needs a well balance to perform and function well. However, carrying around 250lbs on a 5'8" frame is even worse (some is muscle, I did lift weights, but not all 250lbs worth!). Anyway, I do have a long term goal to be honest. Atkins will allow me to shed the weight faster, I have done it before. My snag was I just did Atkins and no exercise. This time I am going to do exercise while doing Atkins. I also don't plan on staying with Atkins long term, just long enough to get to a healthier weight. Once I get to a healthier weight AND am exercising to build muscle (not LARGE muscle, but you need muscle to burn fat) and increase cardo, I plan to switch over to a well balanced diet, low fat, lots of veggies and fruits. By then via Atkins I also should be off sugar and unhealthy bleached flour. Another thing I haven't done before I am doing this time around is to finally give up the caffinated coffee. It has the same effect on your blood as carbs. I guess the reason it took me so long to decide to give it up is I lost the weight last time while drinking coffee. This time though I am going to lose the dependance, even when I drink soda I will have diet caffene free instead of just diet. I also plan on limiting that as well. Anyway, my main reason to post this all here is more the "making the commitment in public" so I stick with it this time. What usually happens is that "lift happens" and fall off because of stuff going on and then the usual "Oh well, I will start next week then" and then go on to eat tons of junk food the rest of the weekend. This time I won't be able to hide that because I will have to answer to everyone here :roll: Later, Scotty

Anyway, my main reason to post this all here is more the "making the commitment in public" so I stick with it this time. What usually happens is that "lift happens" and fall off because of stuff going on and then the usual "Oh well, I will start next week then" and then go on to eat tons of junk food the rest of the weekend. This time I won't be able to hide that because I will have to answer to everyone here :roll:

Later,

Scotty

You might try this forum--it has helped me stick with it.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?

So far I have been sticking to my diet and exercise routine. I haven't weighed myself yet, I think perhaps that is the downfall in alot of people is weighing themself too much. I am thinking perhaps just once a week, same time of day. Anyway, I also decided to add another incentive to the mix. I have declared I am NOT allowed to wear heels UNTIL I lose weight. As a little incentive I might allow myself a day of wear after each 10lbs, but overall I am not going to wear heels full time again until I get to atleast 200lbs (50 total). My main reasons for this are that I don't think I get enough "exercise" while wearing the heels which is what i need right now (I don't walk as brisk, alot of times I use the being in a hurry to take the elevator, etc). I also am not postive that being overweight and in heels is great for the knees, I have noticed my knees hurt alot when I was wearing them full time. Since I was on vacation I wore the sandals (minor incline) and found my knees weren't as sore. Anyway, I figure it gives me a target to shoot for! Scotty

Well, one week later and I have this to report: 1) I've stuck to my diet. I might not have limited to under 20 carbs (induction) but I have eatten less and also what I have eatten has been low carbs. I say at most I have had maybe 20-30 carbs in any given day. 2) I have cut out caffenated coffee, although I have had a soda here and there. They don't sell decafinated soda on base, so I will have to start bringing it. Also I have tried to increase my water, but no where near what I should be, but an improvement. 3) I have stuck to my workout without missing a day! Even when I came home late and was tired, I still did my workout. One thing I have found out by buying a pedometer is how few steps I actually do take in a day. My goal is 10,000 steps a day. The one day I took it to work and measured, I had maybe 3,000 steps and that was a more active day. We went shopping yesterday (my off workout day) and even walking around the mall and stuff only registered 4,000! I have decided to get more inventative during the day, perhaps take a LONG way around to get to the caffateria or a meeting (double back or something) to get more steps in. Anyway, last week I was about 250lbs, just weighed myself and was at 238! Progress!:roll: Now to keep it up. I plan on putting an update here weekly so it will force me to stay honest so I can always have progress to report. Scotty

Hey Gene, I am not to worried if the weight LOSS slows down, I am more concerned about overall shape. Keep in mind I am also doing alot of aerobic exercises AND weight lifting as well (although light weights). That is also my secret weapon along with the low carb, lots of working out as well. In other news, I altered my routes at work (for example, using the most far away men's room, going all the way down the hall one way, up or down the stairs, and back all the way the other to arrive at my destination, etc). I went from about 3500 steps on Friday to 8300 steps today! Amazing how just a little difference makes:) Well, off to my walking in place for an hour (I also just added 5lb ankle weights along with my 5lbs hand weights!). Scotty

Gene, In my weight lifting, I am doing 3 sets of 20 reps using 20lbs weights (for now). Also I have found that just having a pedometer has made me alot more aware of walking plus it gives me incentive to "just add a few more steps" to the count! It almost becomes its own challanage! Scotty

All,

One of the best investments you can make in your exercise gear is a pedometer. Don't get a cheap one, spend the money on a faily decent one.

I used to think I was doing pretty good in a day because I didn't take the elevator but instead took the stairs. That is great unless you are just above your destination. What I thought was a pretty good day of walking turned out to be a disappointing 3500 steps. What I thought was a good day out walking around the mall was an even worse 2500!

Now I altered my course and am up to atleast 7000 a day at work and then a good workout at home puts me at or over 10,000 a day which is my daily goal. I can tell you all just 1 week of doing this I can tell the difference. Instead of feeling tired and bloated all day I feel energized and invigurated!

You have the best workout equipment ever designed, they are called your legs, use them! A pedometer helps track how much progress you are making. I like making a game of it, maybe one more up and back in the hall after using the restroom, or go up or down a few flights of stairs to use a different bathroom, etc to get a few "extra" steps.

The one I recommend after using it is this one: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ashvik/omdiprpehj.html because it allows you to put it in your pocket or bag instead of having to wear it on your hip all day (I have enough with my cell phone!). Also I noticed that even after a bumpy bus ride (we have to park at a separate lot and be bussed to the building...don't ask;) I only added an extra 10 steps instead of the massive number a normal pedometer would add.

Anyway regardless, get out there, walk, you can do it!

Scotty

Well done Sscotty! Apparently 2lbs a week is a healthy weight loss, much more than that and you're putting a strain on your heart. According to a friend of mine who's a body builder, more reps of lighter weights is the way to go for toning without gaining too much bulk. (He's doing exactly the opposite!) You're absolutely right that dieting is not the way to long term weight loss. You get overweight in the first place by having bad eating habits, and you need to change them permanently for the weight to stay off. As for my own weight, I need to lose some but can't get motivated. I'm around 225lbs at 6'0". My problem is not so much eating the wrong kind of food, it's eating too much of it and not getting any exercise beyond walking my dogs. That and my love of beer! Ideally I'd like to get to about 180lbs. Unfortunately my will power is too weak. Chris (edited for typo)

Hi Chris, Well, 250lbs is also a strain on the heart, so I can't imagine losing the weight is bad for the heart (plus all the extra cardo is probably strengthing the heart/circulation as well). Your right about the bad eatting habits, however my biggest weight gain was during my wife's two pregnancies (one is 5 1/2 yrs old, other is 3yrs old). I over ate with my wife and we both gained. Unfortunately, being a programmer, my work doesn't emphasize alot of working out beyond sitting at a keyboard all day. I also noticed sitting there you tend to "snack" alot! Anyway, I am changing all that and I think you can too Chris! Like I said in my previous threads, the BEST way to start out is go out and buy a pedometer. Take 2-3 days and walk your normal amount and see how much walking you are getting in. Then each week try to add another 500 or so steps, maybe one more block walking the dog or take the long way around the grocery store isles, etc. You would be amazed how much benefit you start feeling and how much you start going longer routes on purpose! As far as snacking, go ahead and eat what you are eatting now, but instead of eatting it all in 1 sitting, try cutting the proportions in half and say eat one now and then save the other half as a "reward" for doing say 1000 steps! I think over time you will start eatting less and less and walking more and more! Soon those lbs will fall off:) Go for it, you can do it! Scotty

Also, As a "reward" for doing two full weeks of exercise plus this week of atleast 10,000 steps (yesterday I broke 15,000), I am going to wear my heels this weekend to the mall shopping! :):D:o It will be interesting to see how many steps I can do in my heels :roll: Scotty

Well done Sscotty! Apparently 2lbs a week is a healthy weight loss, much more than that and you're putting a strain on your heart. According to a friend of mine who's a body builder, more reps of lighter weights is the way to go for toning without gaining too much bulk. (He's doing exactly the opposite!) You're absolutely right that dieting is not the way to long term weight loss. You get overweight in the first place by having bad eating habits, and you need to change them permanently for the weight to stay off.

As for my own weight, I need to lose some but can't get motivated. I'm around 225lbs at 6'0". My problem is not so much eating the wrong kind of food, it's eating too much of it and not getting any exercise beyond walking my dogs. That and my love of beer! Ideally I'd like to get to about 180lbs. Unfortunately my will power is too weak.

Chris

(edited for typo)

Chris, you're absolutely right about portion size - it's one of the biggest (no pun intended) mistakes most dieters make. I've known people who were serious about dieting chow down on king-kong sized salads. We're talking from one side of the plate to the other, piled so high if you blinked stuff would fall off onto the table. And so smothered in high-fat dressing that the dressing alone provided all the calories they needed for the day!

Here's a good rule of thumb - eat an amount of food no larger than your fist in any given setting, with about three hours (minimum of two) between settings. At first your stomach will say, "Huh? Where's the rest?" but when you blood sugar kicks in 20 minutes after you're done eating, the hunger goes away. After a week or two your stomach will have shrunk to the point where it's content with your new portion sizes.

Ditto on the 2lbs per week rule, too.

As for motivation, I'd recommend doing the same with the beer and all alcohol that Scotty is doing with his heels! (not wearing them until he's reached his goal).

Reason - alcohol is a powerful demotivator, and sources that contain a lot of sugar are no better than fattening soft drinks.

Then, when you reach your goal, celebrate! Just be moderate with the booze - with less weight the alcohol will have a greater effect, anyway.

Ideal Weight Calculators

I would like to say a few things about the ideal weight calculators some of you may have seen on the Internet.

But first, the calculators!

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/iwc

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I believe the one at Health Status is the best, as it gives the weight a normal person would be they'd spent the last five years eating right and getting plenty of exercise.

The ones at Halls, however, do a good job of showing how much variance there is among ideal weight calculators. The "medical recommendation" is a good way to find out if you fall within a healthy range. Some people are at the low end of the range yet they still think they're too fat! The problem usually turns out they have hardly any muscle mass. This is a great tool for helping you maintain your sanity.

By the way, the health range in the Halls page seems a little low... I believe a better approach would be to ensure you're within 10% of the ideal range provided by Health Status. Thus, if it says your ideal weight should be 150 pounds, ensure you're within 135 to 165 pounds. Alternatively, you can use the Health Status recommended range.

The problem with any calculator, however, is that a person's ideal weight will change throughout life, due to differing hormonal conditions, capabilities, etc. If you live to be very old (90+) and were always in very good shape, you'll be about 30 pounds lighter than you were when you were 30. None of the calculators I've found take this into account.

The depressing thing about ideal weight calculators so far as a dieter is concerned is that the "ideal weight" may seem like a painfully distant goal.

Don't fret!

Instead of using the Health Status ideal weight as your goal, pick a weight half way between your current weight and the Health Status ideal weight. It's usually much more obtainable.

Then, when you get there, stay there for a while! Three months is a good figure. After your body has adjusted to your new weight, such as the atrophying of your leg muscles since they no longer have to carry as much weight, consider re-evaluating another goal, again halfway between your current weight and the ideal weight.

If you're a 5'11" male and weight 250 pounds, your ideal weight should be 172 pounds, which is 78 pounds away!

Using the step approach, however, your first goal would 211 pounds - that's only 39 pounds away.

Step 2 goal: 191.5

Step 3 goal: 182

Step 4 goal: 176

By this time you're a stone's throw away from 172 pounds!

The beauty about this system is that goal-reaching gets easier and easier, and before you know it you'll be within just a few pounds of your ideal weight.

Update: Well, I am now going into my 3rd week since I made the commitment. This week I have successfully gone up to 10,000+ steps at work plus whatever steps I get during my workout at home (my highest overall total has been 15,000 last week). Maybe this week I will break that one. This weekend I went to the mall on Saturday and although I got no aerobic steps in (my counter considers over 10mins continuous or a certain step pace, can't remember what pace, aerobic), I did get my 10,000 steps in! It was close, we were in Wal-Mart with 15mins till closing and I was at 9,000 so convinced the wife to let me walk around more and get my 10,000 in! Sunday I did my 10,000 working out so that was all aerobic so I was content. I didn't wear the heels on Saturday shopping since I wore shorts, BUT I did wear them on the drive home (1 1/2 hour drive) since it was dark, and my sister-in-law was in the back seat too;) Anyway, my weight for the week was 235, so although lower (only 3 lbs) I am still happy with the progress. Scotty

I've not weighed myself again recently, but have started making an effort to have smaller portions. To be honest I feel better for it already, as after a meal I'm feeling satisfied rather than bloated. Rather than going straight to half-sized, I've gone down to about 3/4. In a couple of weeks I'll reduce it some more. I'll post back and let you know how I get on. Chris

Well, I just finished another solid week of sticking to my plan. I also officially have two weeks of > 10,000 steps a day completed in addition to my normal workout. Although my weight hasn't changed much (now 235), I did buy a body fat analizer from Radio Shack. Upon testing myself and various other co-workers, we found Radio Shack uses its own scale instead of the normal BMI index found elsewhere. Non the less, it is still pretty consistant. My body fat % last week was 30.5. I did it again on Sunday and it was 29.6. Not a major drop off, but still an improvement. I plan on posting that result weekly as well. One minor thing though. After my walk Saturday (around the neighborhood and lake) we went shopping. After I got home, the tops of both feet just at the ankle were VERY sore and I could barely walk. After going to bed and getting up Sunday, it was the same. I took some ibprofen and stretched my feet out and by Sunday afternoon, I was able to move without too much pain. I then went on to do my 10,000 steps. Not sure if maybe the shoes I was wearing had a slight heel or maybe just pain from working out??? I will monitor it and have perscription ibprofen I can take if it acts up more. I don't plan on missing my goals:) My step count total for the past 2 weeks (starting with July 6) are: 13209 10219 15003 12527 10344 11279 14061 18547 (best day yet!) 13640 18138 13032 11549 12055 I hope this gives others incentative to GET OUT THERE AND DO IT! Scotty

I am interested sscotty, and I too have no started in earnest to lose some weight. I agree with you about weighing too often being counterproductive (no loss one week and the whole thing ends in disappointment). I have cut down on my food intake (especially in the chocolate food group :roll: which is my downfall) and in just a week can feel a difference in my tummy size, and even mrs shyguy has commented, and joined me in the weight loss. Keep us posted, and I'll do the same when I can

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly