Choosing what to wear

new_look

Just a thought. A lot of men are often quick to criticise women when the phrase 'i cant decide what to wear' from 50 dresses etc, but as a man i notice that the choice in my wardrobe is much more limited in choice and styles to the occasion than womens for starters. Clothes that are either casual or smart for work/formal. Planning ahead for the upcoming London 'informal' Heel meet on the 1st July (See meetings thread for more details) i am still struggling to decide which of my 11 pairs of womens shoes to take with me. (max3) It would seem that it is easy to understand the dilemma of this line from women, as when you find yourself presented with the wide choice, you find it hard to choose between the lots of things that you would like to wear. would anyone else agree Daz

Hi Daz, Just wait until you have almost five times the amount you have, then you'll really be in a dilemma :) As an aside note, it is interesting you refer to the eleven pairs of shoes as "womens shoes". I thought you guys were quick to point out that they were just "shoes" and had no gender attached :roll: Becks

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

Daz, there was a time I believe when Henry Ford said of his cars that you could have any colour you want as long as it is black. Then colour choice was easy. Now when you go to a hardware store to choose paint for a room in your home, it is not so easy. In fact deciding that the room is to be blue is ok BUT What Shade of Blue is damn difficult. So with your lady she asks dress or skirt and blouse, thats easy but when choosing a blouse to go with the skirt, it becomes this blouse or that one or some other one. A possible solution is to get the women to buy less clothes. Then they could buy more shoes. :roll: Any takers ladies. Jeff

Just a thought. A lot of men are often quick to criticise women when the phrase 'i cant decide what to wear' from 50 dresses etc, but as a man i notice that the choice in my wardrobe is much more limited in choice and styles to the occasion than womens for starters. Clothes that are either casual or smart for work/formal.

Planning ahead for the upcoming London 'informal' Heel meet on the 1st July (See meetings thread for more details) i am still struggling to decide which of my 11 pairs of womens shoes to take with me. (max3)

It would seem that it is easy to understand the dilemma of this line from women, as when you find yourself presented with the wide choice, you find it hard to choose between the lots of things that you would like to wear.

would anyone else agree

Daz

Oh, I dunno. I find that while the men's section isn't as well stocked as the women's men neverless tend to spend about 1/4 the time shopping for clothes than women.

People, please!!! Modern science has, time and again, clearly identified the difference between the male and female brains!

Fact - Women around the globe speak 75% more words than do men - which society doesn't matter - the effect is universal.

Fact - Men take about 70% less time to find and buy any particular item of clothing than women.

Why?

Because women evolved while socializing, remaining back at camp with other women, where conversational ability was an assets, while men evolved on the hunt, where conversational predisposition usually meant the next hunt you were relegated to preparing food with the women.

I apologize in advance if this offended anyone, but Anthropoligy is a science, ladies and gentleman, and its conclusions up to and including modern day men and women are very accurate. While the roles often overlap, men are predominently hunters while women are predominently gatherers.

People, please!!! Modern science has, time and again, clearly identified the difference between the male and female brains!

Fact - Women around the globe speak 75% more words than do men - which society doesn't matter - the effect is universal.

Fact - Men take about 70% less time to find and buy any particular item of clothing than women.

Why?

Because women evolved while socializing, remaining back at camp with other women, where conversational ability was an assets, while men evolved on the hunt, where conversational predisposition usually meant the next hunt you were relegated to preparing food with the women.

I apologize in advance if this offended anyone, but Anthropoligy is a science, ladies and gentleman, and its conclusions up to and including modern day men and women are very accurate. While the roles often overlap, men are predominently hunters while women are predominently gatherers.

I think this is mainly a load of BS. New archeological finds have proven that women (and children too) were out hunting during those times. You can't study a social phenomenon and draw biological conclusions from it.

Forgive me gene. No ridicule intended. I was just trying to make light of a very heavy situation. Now, you can get pissed if you want to. But, if the truth be know, I think you might be telling more about yourself that I really want to know. And, as far as the American medical journal is concerned, I'll leave that up to my wife as she's the medical professional in our family. I just (used to) fly airplanes and don't really have an interest in such things. Don't take it personally, but you do wax odd and even at different times. You are far to complex a person for me to even want to try to figure out. So, I won't waste my time trying.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi Bubba I know this is way off track but you said that your wife was the medical professional in your family. I assume she is a doctor of sorts so what does she have to say about you and others wearing high and ultra high heels from a medical point of view? It would be interesting to know if there are (m)any in the medical profession who not just have nothing against wearing heels but in fact say "there is nothing wrong with it at all so go for it". Jeff

My wife has a BS in Nursing and a MS in Physical Therapy. (Because she stayed at home raising our three children, she's never worked a day in her married life, although she occasionally volunteers at the local schools and hospitals.) She wore high 4" stiletto heel when we were married. Now, after 28 years of marriage and years chasing three children around, she doesn't normally wear heels higher than 3" and then, only when she dresses up. Says they hurt her feet and legs when she goes higher. We have talked about the different theories put forth about high heels. She agrees that wearing high heels for long periods of time can cause discomfort and adversly affect the health of the muscels in the legs, ankles, calfs tendons and joints. However, she believes wearing shoes that don't fit cause more discomfort and damage than the height of the heels. Wearing heels won't cause damage as long as the person alternates the heel height beween flat and the highest heels they desire to wear. While she doesn't object to my wearing 5", 6" or even 7" heels, she won't wear them because comfort is more important. (And, even though she teases me by saying that I could "run a marathon wearing 5" heels," she claims that my reaction would be identical to hers if society would allow me to wear my higher heels in public for hours on end, too.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I would expand on what Genebujold said: We have not evolved at all since the stone age. In those days women tended to be gatherers, accompanying the men on hunting trips but collecting berries, vegetables and fruits as they went and leaving the actual kill to the men. Women would have been beaters to flush the prey out to the killing zone. This is why they are very selective when they shop, the men would probably grab the nearest berry and eat it on the run Women would also be the lookouts for predators, they'd keep an eye on the kids and kept the camp fire burning which is why they can do several things at once. When men hunt, they have to calculate how far they would have to run, in what direction and how hard to throw the rock to slay the zebra. Men love sports that involve speed, angles and strength. A nice game of football anyone? (This is also the reason for male aggression, though this is attributed to territorial combat.) Moreover, men can turn objects over in their minds and read a map without having to turn it upside down so that it points in the same direction of travel as a woman would. Women tend to be better verbally but men tend to be better with written words. Most of the greatest authors and playwrights tend to be male though there are great female writers too. For every female writer you could name I could name two male writers, possibly three. Moreover, men tend to be better at decyphering codes, solving crosswords and working out clever word plays. Puns, jokes and one-liners tend to be a male preserve whereas, women tend to be better at debating and logical argument.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Don't take it personally, but you do wax odd and even at different times. You are far to complex a person...

Aye, that I am. Drives my wife nuts sometimes.

Please forgive me for the tone of my earlier posts.

Dr. Shoe - I loved your treatise on the difference between men and women.

I have a question for you. Knowing that hormones definately play a role in mood, do you think that male and female hormoes can act differently on the brain with respect to the way people think? In other words, might some of our differences be simply because one half of the population is full of estrogen and the other half full of testosterone? Furthermore, after half a lifetime of effect, might the thought patters be set in stone to such an extent that the rapidly waning hormones caused by menopause would have little effect?

Just a theory...