Dyeing man made materials

Hi,

I've ordered a pair of ankle boots from http://www.bigshoes.it/en/default.asp and they fit well.

Posted Image

I want to dye this boot in a dark colour.

They are made of man made material, the exterior is snake like printed, the lining is transpiring fabric (as they stated, it feels like rubber with a fabric) and they are stretchy.

Do I have to grind them after I had put lot of paper in them to stretch the pleats?

What kind of paint do I have to use?

Thank you in advance

Robert

If you stretch out the "pleats" they'll be larger and possibly to large for you to wear. If you grind them down then you'll loose waterproofing. If they were my own, I'd use a hot spoon to smooth the bumps down then "paint" them with a permanent marker pen.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If they were my own, I'd keep them as they are!!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Dr. Shoe, Thank you very much for your advise for using a permanent marker pen for colouring the boots. I've something to do the coming days. Azraelle, I'm for the darker look for shoes and boots myself, as - so they say - anything goes with the dark colours. What would you wear with these boots and in what colours? Regards, Robert

I have several pair of black flared hip hugger jeans that would go quite nicely with them, thank you, as well as a pair of crimson velvet jeans. Did I forget to mention that I didn't buy any of them in a menswear store? I also have a couple of stretch suedecloth shirts in purple and maroon, respectively, and at least 2 black fancy shirts, one that laces up the back. And I'm making a Queen of Swords style Pirate shirt/Poet's Blouse/bodysuit combination. All of which would go quite well with a fancy pair of maroon and black snakeskin boots such as those, even if they are synthetic. Of course the heel could be a bit higher...

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I've actually found that "Punch" shoe dye as sold in the UK works quite well on synthetics as well as leather.

Posted Image

However, synthetics can vary widely so try on a small area first. A permanent marker should work too, though these can be prone to streaking due to the strokes of application on large areas.

Thank you Azraelle for your clothing advise. I notice the colours red and purple (and their shades) are best with these boots. That reminds me, I have a T shirt in a purple colour, that would be great for coming summer. Thank you Firefox for your advise. After going with the summery colours I can still dye them with similar shoe-dye from the local shoemaker. I think if I use a permanent marker, the black is wearing away because of the trousers. Well, I have to experiment with that. Thanks again both. Robert