A Year (or so) Later...

Gige

I do not know the exact date of when it occurred but it has been about a year since I first ventured out publicly in a pair of heels. As I reflect on that first instance and all that has happened since then, I needlessly can offer the following observations/realizations.

First, I consider myself as “out” and the most difficult part of this journey has been just heading out in a pair of heels and telling my family and friends. For the most part, the responses have been supportive and encouraging, but my siblings have indicated that like any “shocking” news, it will take time to process. I believe that the hardest part of this experience is overcoming the fear of it and I realize that I was my worst enemy. By that, I mean I had dreamt up fears that never existed. In reality, no one has made a direct comment to me about my “en femme” attire but there have been some muttered under one’s breath comments, and strange looks and double takes. Now, however, as so many people have seen me in heels, I do not pay attention to whether or not others notice and what their reaction may be if they do. Truthfully, I do not care and in fact, I wonder if men (and women) look at me with a sense of jealousy. I’ve worked hard to trim down and have a figure worthy of showing off a bit.

Second, what is most important to me is not only what I wear but how I wear it. Yes, I love a pair of towering heels with a short skirt but I do not need to wear those on a daily basis to feel good about myself. When I look at myself in the mirror before heading out somewhere, all that matters is that I love what I see, even if that is in a pair of kitten heels or in flats. To me, style, elegance, and sophistication come from knowing what to wear at the appropriate time. A pair of loafers can make an outfit as much as a five-inch heels.

Third, excess is not needed. With regard to ‘Excess,’ I refer to having more heels (shoes & boots) than I would possibly wear. I, like probably all everyone (both male and female), have fallen in love with a pair of heels that I absolutely had to have only later have buyer’s remorse. I have had “too many” heels that I have only worn once because either they do not fit very well, are highly impractical, or I just do not have an appropriate place to wear them. I do, however, have several pair of heels of the same brand/model in different colors but if they fit will and are comfortable, then they are keepers.

Fourth, simplicity is always best. A well-thought out and put together outfit says so much more than all else. Simple items and simple colors schemes will always be more appealing than items that carry a major designer's name.

Finally, I love how I feel when I head out and I am in a pair of heels. The sound of the heel hitting the ground/pavement quickly followed by the footbed is delightful, and knowing that the sound is coming from shoes/boots that are on my feet is exhilarating. Walking past a person who can see my heels makes it intoxicating. The worst part of my day is when the heels have to come off for whatever reason. I can only speak for myself in saying that wearing heels is more than just putting “something” on my feet. Any outfit I wear, as a whole, projects confidence in the way I walk (as I walk straight up vs. slouching) and my movements. It goes beyond just how I walk, however, as I feel that I am more graceful in my movement and actions – I’ll now cross my legs and stand with my feet together vs. “man-spreading.”

When I first ventured out in heels, I did so with almost all of the footwear covered as I did not want anyone to know. Now, I want to world to see what I am wearing and almost want to ask others if they see my heels. I was nervous during those first instances but now, have all the confidence in the world.

It has been a journey but so one worth taking!

The photo of me sitting is a recent favorite as I wore this to the dentist office a few weeks ago (teeth cleaning in style!) whereas that of me standing is that which I showed to others when I starting coming "out." Sadly, I do not have the skirt any longer as I slimmed out of it! 

Dentist.JPG

1.jpg

Just now, Gige said:

I do not know the exact date of when it occurred but it has been about a year since I first ventured out publicly in a pair of heels. As I reflect on that first instance and all that has happened since then, I needlessly can offer the following observations/realizations.

First, I consider myself as “out” and the most difficult part of this journey has been just heading out in a pair of heels and telling my family and friends. For the most part, the responses have been supportive and encouraging, but my siblings have indicated that like any “shocking” news, it will take time to process. I believe that the hardest part of this experience is overcoming the fear of it and I realize that I was my worst enemy. By that, I mean I had dreamt up fears that never existed. In reality, no one has made a direct comment to me about my “en femme” attire but there have been some muttered under one’s breath comments, and strange looks and double takes. Now, however, as so many people have seen me in heels, I do not pay attention to whether or not others notice and what their reaction may be if they do. Truthfully, I do not care and in fact, I wonder if men (and women) look at me with a sense of jealousy. I’ve worked hard to trim down and have a figure worthy of showing off a bit.

Second, what is most important to me is not only what I wear but how I wear it. Yes, I love a pair of towering heels with a short skirt but I do not need to wear those on a daily basis to feel good about myself. When I look at myself in the mirror before heading out somewhere, all that matters is that I love what I see, even if that is in a pair of kitten heels or in flats. To me, style, elegance, and sophistication come from knowing what to wear at the appropriate time. A pair of loafers can make an outfit as much as a five-inch heels.

Third, excess is not needed. With regard to ‘Excess,’ I refer to having more heels (shoes & boots) than I would possibly wear. I, like probably all everyone (both male and female), have fallen in love with a pair of heels that I absolutely had to have only later have buyer’s remorse. I have had “too many” heels that I have only worn once because either they do not fit very well, are highly impractical, or I just do not have an appropriate place to wear them. I do, however, have several pair of heels of the same brand/model in different colors but if they fit will and are comfortable, then they are keepers.

Fourth, simplicity is always best. A well-thought out and put together outfit says so much more than all else. Simple items and simple colors schemes will always be more appealing than items that carry a major designer's name.

Finally, I love how I feel when I head out and I am in a pair of heels. The sound of the heel hitting the ground/pavement quickly followed by the footbed is delightful, and knowing that the sound is coming from shoes/boots that are on my feet is exhilarating. Walking past a person who can see my heels makes it intoxicating. The worst part of my day is when the heels have to come off for whatever reason. I can only speak for myself in saying that wearing heels is more than just putting “something” on my feet. Any outfit I wear, as a whole, projects confidence in the way I walk (as I walk straight up vs. slouching) and my movements. It goes beyond just how I walk, however, as I feel that I am more graceful in my movement and actions – I’ll now cross my legs and stand with my feet together vs. “man-spreading.”

When I first ventured out in heels, I did so with almost all of the footwear covered as I did not want anyone to know. Now, I want to world to see what I am wearing and almost want to ask others if they see my heels. I was nervous during those first instances but now, have all the confidence in the world.

The photo of me sitting is a recent favorite as I wore this to the dentist office a few weeks ago (teeth cleaning in style!) whereas that of me standing is that which I showed to others when I starting coming "out." Sadly, I do not have the skirt any longer as I slimmed out of it! 

Dentist.JPG

1.jpg

And let me ask if anyone does/does not believe the black/gray outfit is appropriate for work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gige said:

Dentist.JPG

1.jpg

And let me ask if anyone does/does not believe the black/gray outfit is appropriate for work.

OK, well first, let me congratulate you on a very quick evolution.  One year since you ventured out in heels, and look at you now!  Your efforts to tone your long lean physique have surely paid off, and you deserve to wear outfits like this with extreme pride and confidence.  You really look great, don't mind admitting I'm very envious.  Great taste in boots as well.  As for your final question, I tried to respond in one of your other posts....

Giege,

Great pics of you in the skirt and boots. That's an ensemble that I love wearing, too. Yesterday, I was out wearing my above the knee, sweatshirt dress in royal blue with a pair of cream colored knee boots. I was very confident and happy with my appearance, even though I may have turned a few heads.!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluejay said:

Giege,

Great pics of you in the skirt and boots. That's an ensemble that I love wearing, too. Yesterday, I was out wearing my above the knee, sweatshirt dress in royal blue with a pair of cream colored knee boots. I was very confident and happy with my appearance, even though I may have turned a few heads.!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

"turned a few heads" is a good thing indeed!

• Like 1