Shoe-shopping in London

Vanity

Could you please help me? Except shopping for shoes (high heels of course) some advice in general. I guess you all have some favourite spots. The reason for asking here is that I especially want some answers from you gals, but you guys are also welcome. .

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

Hi Vanity! By coincidence, on Jenny's Forum, Paul North-East has just asked me the same question about where I am currently buying nice high heels and this is a copy of my reply: "Hi Paul, Half-way down your excellent "Memories Of A High Heel Lover", you asked me whether I still bought ultra high heel shoes (and from where) or whether I relied on my collection. Well, my collection is now embarrassingly vast and glorious, so I don't have to buy new styles out of necessity. However, it's fun to keep an eye on the new styles that come along and treat myself to a new pair from time to time if they are sufficiently exciting. However, I agree with you, that despite our now being in what is supposed to be a stiletto boom period, there is frustratingly little around to meet your taste and mine - plain courts with ultra high heels and low-cut uppers (the all-time classic ladies' shoe!). I am sorry that you and your wife returned empty-handed from Newcastle, but even London (my home town) is not much better! A trip from end-to-end of Oxford Street, poking in the nethermost corners of every shoe shop usually comes up with something half-decent, but even then there's not much over 4" and the toes are too pointed for my taste. Over-long toes get in the way, tend to curl-up and reduce the heel height in proportion to the foot, making the shoe look too long and flat. My favourite toe-shape is pointed but stubby, or a dainty squared-off toe but again stubby to accetuate the heel-height by miniumising the toe length. The latest trend in ladies shoes is in fact short and stubby, but as a rounded semicircle which I quite like as long as it doesn't make the toe look too broad and "sexless little girlie" like Shirley Temple! Pinet of New Bond Street, London usually has some very exclusive and "French-looking" styles. If you (like myself) are usually looking for heel-heights of 4 1/2" and over, then three of my favourites are Ernest of Paris, Leatherworks of London, and Chinaheels. All three have a website and if both of those names are fed into your search engine, you will easily find them. For really gorgeously low-cut courts, use your search engine to find Lovely Pumps, and Classic Pumps, both in the USA. I have not tried ordering a pair yet, but their shoe-styles are so amazingly seductive that I am sorely tempted to do so soon! One of the best styles is called "Lucy"! Hope this helps you and your wife to find some wonderful high heels! Love, Lucy" Vanity, I hope this copy of my reply helps you too! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

I agree with you, Lucy. The modern stilettos are ugly and ungainly. Those extra-long toes simply make your feet look bigger and walking awkward, and the heels themselves are such an odd shape. It's almost impossible to get anything higher than 41/2" or so, and because of the shape of the shoes, they look lower. I do like the old-fashioned winkle-picker points sometimes, but for everyday shorter, but still quite pointed, are more practical. I also like quite a low front or a higher one with perhaps a buckle, bow or other decoration. Leatherworks' shoes are gorgeous and I find them the most comfortable of any heels that I have - regardless of height. I wish they did 5". I like 51/2" - 6" best, but 5" are useful at times - long shopping days for example. I have noticed though that the height varies a little with size - I usually take a U.K. 8, but 71/2 is often better for open styles, and they do seem to be nearer to 51/4" high whereas the 8's are 51/2"+. Bananashoes are excellent, both for service and variety. They sell Leatherworks as well as lots of other brands and a wide range of heights. I have some 61/2" from them and they are beautiful and totally wearable.

Hi Anne-Louise! I agree with you that one of my few disappointments with Leatherworks is that the don't do 5" heels. It's such a great height for everyday wear at business etc. However, The Little Shoe Box does do 5" heels. They are a very similar firm to Leatherworks and only a few streets away. Why not give them a try, or maybe send for a catalogue first? Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

I would like to know from Anne Louise and Lucy, or any one else, have you ever heard of and seen needle point toes. I have seen some but they dont appear to be made any more. By needle point I mean like the letter V point and not the slightly rounded point seen now. Thanks Jeff

Jeff, I have a few pairs of what Leatherworks call 'long points' which I think are what you mean. They are rather like the 'winkle-pickers' of the fifties/sixties and are very much more elegant than those rather gross shoes that are in the shops now. I like pointy shoes a lot, but strangely I receive the most comments when I wear open toes, preseumably because of the way the height is exaggerated by the shorter shoe. The pointed ones are quite eyecatching though, particularly the crocdile patent with buckle!

Hi JeffM! I am sorry to say that I have never come across the expression "Needle-point" except when used regarding a certain type of embroidery or tapestry, and not in relation to shoes. As Anne-Louise says, some of our "Winklepicker" toes of around 1960 had pretty sharp point with virtually no rounding whatsoever, but that's going back a bit! Love, Lucy

Thanks, all of you!! What I read is that Oxford street is out of the question!?. Is it better to look for clothes etc. and leave the shoes for Internet? I love Spanish and Italian 5" stilettos, are they gone? Some advice please. :D

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

Hi Vanity,

Although Lucy and Anne-Louise mention Leatherworks and their web site, they do also have a showroom within their factory in London that you can visit to see, and possibly try on shoes. I recently visited it with my girlfriend and posted a report here: http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/viewtopic.php?t=3042

The Little Shoe Box ( http://www.thelittleshoebox.com ) also has a shop not far from Leatherworks.

No Vanity, I certainly didn;t intend to give the impression that Oxford Street is "Out of the question". In fact, it is famous as having probably the largest number of shoe shops in the UK, so at the very least one should "Do" them from end to end to leave no stone unturned. Out of the sheer law of mathematics you'll probably find a pair or two that rise above the average mediocrety. In addition to viewing the Leatherworks and Little Shoe Box sites that Rob has just posted, also try logging on to Banana Shoes! They are also in the UK but not in London. Love, Lucy

here used to be a place called "special Occasions" where Debbie bought all of her shoes. They were fantastic. Or, at least they looked fantastic on her. :D:D

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.