Texas Girls!

Anita C.

The year was 1957. Ike was in the White House with some boob named Nixon as VP. Buddy Holly & Richie Valens were still rock n' and rollin' on the radio (KIMN 950am) and Sinatra, Bennett, Ella and the Duke (Ellington) were the swingmeisters. Denver had 4 TV stations and al were black & white. My second grade teacher was a lady from Texas. Her name was Mrs. Rough. She was always impecably dressed and her bouffant blonde' hair & make-up were flawless and, yes, she always wore high stiletto heels to make her 5' in stature seem taller. She even wore them when she was supervising recess! She was influential in my becoming attracted to High Heels. One outfit in particular stays in my memory. It was a powder blue front buttoning dress with short sleeves and a collar that she always wore "up" . . . with matching powder blue 4.5" Stilettos that had a bow with gold accents. She never took her shoes off in class and would walk around & sit on the front of her desk when talking to us. crossing her legs - very lady like! We all loved her because she taught with passion and enthusiasm. She had the most charming drawl that captivated all in earshot when she was speaking. Class would start with the clik-clik-clik of her stilettos coming into the room as the bell was going to ring followed by a "Good mornin', y'all! Let's stand for the pledge of allegence!". One day, she was wearing her navy blue dress and matching navy stilettos when a fight broke out between two trouble makers. Not being a shy person she got right in between these kids, grabbed them by the collars-separating them and after a verbal barrage that could have only come from a Texas Girl, said sternly "Now y'all have a choice to make. You wanna shake hands & call it quits or do I get the opportunity to haul you both down to the principals office? WELL, what's it gonna be? . . . Don't just stand there with your teeth in your mouth SPEAK UP!". The boys mumbled an apology to which she said "T'ain't good enough. You two clowns owe the class and ME an apology so let's hear it or I swear I'll take you both into the principals office and I WILL call your folks.". The guys went to the front of the class and apologised. "Good . . . fine now. Virgil, you sit here, on my right and Dave, you will take the seat to my left and if I hear another peep outta either one of you it's off to the principals' office. Do you understand me?". "Uh . . . yes Mrs. Rough.". Not a peep. She wore Red the next day, this was her "all business" dress with red 4.5" Stiletto pumps and gold jewelry. The bell rang and we stood up for thr pledge. "OK now. Let's get to work. Get out your geography books and open to pafe 225." She walked around the room and when she got to Virgil and Dave she lowered her glasses and stared at them for a second then smiled and said "Y'all gonna behave today?" They nodded yes. And that was that. When I graduated I returned to that school. Mrs. Rough was still teaching there . . . and still wearing High Stiletto Heels! I walked in in my Stilettos. She smiled "Nice shoes, hon. Where'd you get 'em?". Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Nice story, Anita. I always wonder if teachers would be surprised if they knew the lasting impact they really had on at least some of their students. Of course, they were all students once themselves, so maybe not....

• 3 years later...

The year was 1957. Ike was in the White House with some boob named Nixon as VP. Buddy Holly & Richie Valens were still rock n' and rollin' on the radio (KIMN 950am) and Sinatra, Bennett, Ella and the Duke (Ellington) were the swingmeisters. Denver had 4 TV stations and al were black & white.

My second grade teacher was a lady from Texas. Her name was Mrs. Rough. She was always impecably dressed and her bouffant blonde' hair & make-up were flawless and, yes, she always wore high stiletto heels to make her 5' in stature seem taller. She even wore them when she was supervising recess!

She was influential in my becoming attracted to High Heels. One outfit in particular stays in my memory. It was a powder blue front buttoning dress with short sleeves and a collar that she always wore "up" . . . with matching powder blue 4.5" Stilettos that had a bow with gold accents.

She never took her shoes off in class and would walk around & sit on the front of her desk when talking to us. crossing her legs - very lady like!

We all loved her because she taught with passion and enthusiasm. She had the most charming drawl that captivated all in earshot when she was speaking.

Class would start with the clik-clik-clik of her stilettos coming into the room as the bell was going to ring followed by a "Good mornin', y'all! Let's stand for the pledge of allegence!".

One day, she was wearing her navy blue dress and matching navy stilettos

when a fight broke out between two trouble makers. Not being a shy person she got right in between these kids, grabbed them by the collars-separating them and after a verbal barrage that could have only come from a Texas Girl, said sternly "Now y'all have a choice to make. You wanna shake hands & call it quits or do I get the opportunity to haul you both down to the principals office? WELL, what's it gonna be? . . . Don't just stand there with your teeth in your mouth SPEAK UP!". The boys mumbled an apology to which she said "T'ain't good enough. You two clowns owe the class and ME an apology so let's hear it or I swear I'll take you both into the principals office and I WILL call your folks.". The guys went to the front of the class and apologised. "Good . . . fine now. Virgil, you sit here, on my right and Dave, you will take the seat to my left and if I hear another peep outta either one of you it's off to the principals' office.

Do you understand me?". "Uh . . . yes Mrs. Rough.". Not a peep.

She wore Red the next day, this was her "all business" dress with red 4.5" Stiletto pumps and gold jewelry.

The bell rang and we stood up for thr pledge. "OK now. Let's get to work. Get out your geography books and open to pafe 225." She walked around the room and when she got to Virgil and Dave she lowered her glasses and stared at them for a second then smiled and said "Y'all gonna behave today?" They nodded yes.

And that was that.

When I graduated I returned to that school. Mrs. Rough was still teaching there . . . and still wearing High Stiletto Heels! I walked in in my Stilettos. She smiled "Nice shoes, hon. Where'd you get 'em?".

Anita C.

;) My teachers would not have known what a stiletto heel was.......in those far off days of 1940ish

Muddypaws:w00t2:

Did you ever have a teacher who just couldn't walk in heels? You know the walk of my feet are killing me and I can't take another step. Most of my teachers if they did accidently wear heels would be crying by the time the day was over and last bell rang because they weren't used to the heels and their feet hurt so bad. Just wondering if you have stories like that? Kim