Would It Have Been Proper

jetheelsfan

I had the fortunate ability to see and observe a lady of about 35 wearing a pair of 1 1/2" platform with 5" stiletto heel shoping just ahead of me today. She was very skilful in her ability to walk gracefully in them. But I noticed as to what appeared to be happening to her left heel. It looked like it was bending to the side as she steped forward and the heel made contact with the floor. It looked like it was about to break off at any time as it really did wobble. I almost approach to warn her of my observation for the fear that if/when it breaks - she could be injured quickly. But then a case of sainity overcame my judgment and I said nothing for the fear as to be classified as just a "dirty old man watching the girls in heels" - maybe the truth would have hurt me more.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I guess we have all purchased a pair of heels and then later found that the quality was lacking. Thrift or discount store heels are generally made to sell the look, but they are often flawed by the way they actually support the wearer's feet. I've even seen some heels that are literally sloped straight lines that offer no support for the arch and the materials for the upper enclosement don't seem to offer the firm caressing the foot needs to feel secure. Good quality heels won't let the heel lean out of alignment as the wearer strolls through each step.

I recently repaired one of Laura's boots as the heel was wobbling. The "arch" steel was only held in place by the glue bond of the "middling". There was no mechanical bond/fixture at any point and fell short of reaching the footbed area. In all it was 1/2" wide rusty bar. I've thrown away better steel as scrap! The middling had lifted and every thing just flopped around it was only her foot giving the support for the boot. Manufactured? China. Source USA ebay shipped to UK Al

The "arch steel" is called a shank and is almost invariably a 1/2" wide slightly rusty steel bar even in quality shoes. However, it should have been rivetted to the insole board at each end but can be glued into place instead. It should not reach the footbed area otherwise the shoe would not flex when you walk. My advice to anyone is to buy an old pair of decent shoes from a charity shop (thrift store) and just take it apart and see how it's made.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It'd be hard to believe she couldn't feel the wobble, surely if she looked quite proficient at walking in heels she must have noticed and was just trying to walk a bit lighter on her feet until she could get home. Still, I think I'd probably have mentioned it to her if it looked like she really might fall and hurt herself, she'd have to be pretty rude to respond badly if you pointed it out in a nice way. Also thanks Dr. Shoe for the extra info.

If you like it, wear it.