A Problem For Heel Lovers?

mikeheel

I recently read an interesting comment from 'Kit' in the girls area. I have also found that any heel lift between about 2" to 4" is just a nuisance and only find comfort starting at 4" and going up to 6" or so; without any platform, of course. I wonder if this is a common problem? I am happier with flat shoes (if they have arch support) but this must be in short bursts of up to about an hour before I start to get very uncomfortable. Is this due to my life in very high heels?

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

Mikeheel, Wearing heels of any height for a long period of time will cause the tendons in your foot and calf to shorten. This will cause you to have pain and be uncomfortable in lower, no heel shoes and barefoot.. To counter this there are exercises and stretches that you can do to keep everything fexible and in proper working order. -Nikki

Yes, I certainly found myself nodding in agreement when I read kit's remark:

... the lowest heels I am comfortable in are about 3 and a half (I can and do wear flat shoes and go barefoot, but for some reason I cannot wear low heels, they're just awkward).

It's not that I'm physically uncomfortable with low heels, I just find them "awkward" aesthetically - I think heels below 3½" tend to look a bit "frumpy" to me but suddenly the cuteness returns with flats. My favourite heel height must be around a 4" to 4½" rise but I tend to mix those up with flats day-to-day which I think helps to minimise any tendon issues. When I do feel any tightness in my tendons I think it's not so much the heel height itself but usually that I've been walking too far in my heels.

If you like it, wear it.

I think that I have prevented having problems with the shortening of tendons by slipping out of my heel upon arriving home from work. After changing into something casual I go about whatever has to be done barefoot. Being in a warm climate allows me to move about out of doors barefoot which also helps. E

• 3 weeks later...

I much prefer heels over about 4". Not due to the tendons shortening, but, as Sleekheels said, heels lower than that tend to look horrible (personal preference, of course). I have a nice 4", fairly androgynous pair that I use for work and slip on 6" or 7" whenever I can. I don't like flats but I'd rather a nice pair of ballet pumps than 2" heels.

Right, May be personal prefrence, may be personal anatomy, maybe when the person was born they did not face Meca. Anyway if a person is happy with a four inch rise then good. My personal thing is the inside of the heel should stay level until a two inch rise. As for me I can be just as happy in Earth shoes but I need to change heights a few times a week to keep my stretch.