French Heels?

Anita C.

I was out at a Vintage clothing store & saw a pair of shoes with a enlongated but slim "Hour Glass" heel. The tip was slightly larger in diameter than the stiletto shaft. I gather this kind of heel was (is) called a French Heel? Input, please!

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Yes & No. . . It is still av Stiletto, but it flares out SLIGHTLY @ the Heel tip! I believe they were popular in the late 50's/early 60's.

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Yes, Louis Heels are the thicker flared variety. The stiletto version, I just know as "flared stilettos". I've modified a few back to the straight version by paring down the flare with a craft knife, sanding, and then refixing/regluing the heel covering. It's quite an easy mod to do sucessfully. I've seen an exaggerated "gothic heel" version of this with about a 2" square base, taperng up to finger thick and then back out agan. An awful design IMO.

Yes, these stiletto heels, as well as being known as "flared" were also sometimes called "waisted" or "hour-glass". Although the latter "hour-glass" term is more suggestive of a broader top and bottom to the heel than stilettos have. In the UK, the stiletto heel hit the shoe shops for the first time around 1956, the base of the heel being very thin, around 1/4". This remained the only stiletto fashion until 1960, when the slightly flared base of the heel came into fashion for some styles whilst the 1/4" base remained well into the 1960s on others. I always preferred the base to be as thin as possible and not to flare. It was this thinness that gave the shoe its elegant feminine precariousness, and the flared base added an unwanted clumpiness and reduced the precariousness. It was sort of "cheating" in my view. Good for getting stuck between the planks of piers though, as witnessed in Lucy's latest story on Jennys forum! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Spot on Heelfan. A louis heel is one where the sole is extended to run down the front (breast) of the heel. A "knock-on" heel is one where the heel disappears under the seat of the heel. This description has little to do with the shape of the actual heel.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I once sold shoes! If the heel is separeted from the front it is called an "outside" heel. anything else we referred to as a "wedge". I worked at a Kinneys' Shoe store & STILL have a pair of 4.5" black matte' pumps! The box said "Enzel of Paris" and had a picture of the Eiffel Tower on it. The display was a 4' high Eiffel Tower replica with shoe stands all over it. When they got rid of it. I took it home! Yes, I can still wear the shoes!