How do you take care of your shoes?

Elswyth

I'm looking especially for stiletto sandal tips, but any type of high heel care will do, I guess. :smile: I have a.. rather cheap pair of stiletto sandals, and I've heard shoes of that budget tends to break rather quickly. However, getting a more expensive pair is not an option, as I'm a student on a very tight budget. And I love that pair of sandals, I think it looks better than many expensive ones and I would hate to lose it. :smile: So, what can I do to prolong its lifespan?

Visit a local cobbler or shoe repairer as soon as you notice something wrong. Don't delay, small things are easier to fix than big ones. Especially keep an eye on the toplifts(heel tips). As soon as the pin is visible get them replaced. For me it's only a few dollars to get them replaced. With sandals (yes I spelled it right this time) make sure that the straps are adjusted so that no matter what position your foot is in none of the straps seems tight.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I do make sure that when I buy any stillettos ( most shop here do have a extra pair in the box) that there is a extra pair of tips in the box. I also found that the extra pair is stronger that the original ones that came on the shoes. I will not wait untill th metal comes out. I do check my stillettos on a regular basis to see how the tips are. Check on the website and I am sure you will find a place that stock them or as Shafted said visit your local shoe repairer.

Elswyth, I think following Shafted + jayjay's advice will serve you well but here's another idea.....just get more shoes into your closet! This will give you more variety and will make each pair last longer before tips need replacing. You will soon discover that the number of shoes you have, and want, will only increase so give this some thought. The other things I do is keep my shoes and boots in their original boxes with lids closed and out of the light. If I want to wear a pair of suede boots or pumps then I don't have to worry about dust or lint sticking to the fabric. And anything patent will still have that store shelf shine. HappyinHeels:wave:

Another suggestion: do you have charity shops/thrift stores in NZ? I can often pick up shoes (flats and heels) more cheaply than reheeling existing ones. This doesn't solve your immediate problem of keeping your favourite sandals alive (answered by Shafted and jay jay) but it's worth bearing in mind. You can also pick up very good quality shoes like that, far outside your usual price range. Ebay is another option.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton