Weekly World News - Laurieheels found hiding with Bat Child!

Okay, maybe that's not really the situation. A lot has happened since I took my little break, in some ways. Okay, I am still trying to find work, still poor, and now, single again. I moved back to Calgary, and no, it will not become a tabloid issue here. It was amicable, mutual, and it's done. Of course, my computer is broken, the hard drive makes a great deal of noise and then the blue screen of death appears, telling me that the computer cannot write to drive C, and cannot find drive C. It happens about five minutes after everything is loaded up and running. Great. Well, relying on the good graces of the government means about 500 to 700 less a month than when I worked for the communications company I once worked for. And I can't go back to work there, so... yeah. It's just another sob story from some fallen goddess, so into herself at one point she thought she could do anything. But we all know that an attitude like that results in a great fall. The good? Well, I can still slip into a pair of five and a half inch heels, and I look damn good in them. In fact, I have done up a picture set... I may try to sell copies of the picture set, as a way to raise money. The first goal being, buy a digital camera and then post and possibly sell more pictures. Consider it some sort of charity thing. of course, if there isn't any interest... Apart from selling the rest of my shoes, which would leave me with a pair of Reeboks, well, all I can do is strugle through each and every two weeks, and visit here every few days when I can borrow some time on a family member's computer. It is not appropriate to whine, complain, or fuss about my situation. It is where I am at and I dislike it, but then, there's not much I can do about it. Yes, I have been writing a bit, but there isn't enough of any one thing to try and sell to a publisher. And I had beed warned against web publishers, so, I may have to work on a different idea to sacrifice there. One must keep her grade AAA material for the big leagues... So that gets people up to date, somewhat, with what has gone on in my life in the past month, more or less. I can't say I'll be here several times a day as I used to, but, I am around, and I will do my best to moderate as I can. And I'll be over on jenny's site, as well. And I think I'll go post a picture in the picture section, just because I can. :lol:

Profound condolences, Laurie. My ex-wife used to say "two can live as cheaply as one (for half as long...)"; wanna move to Utah? Just kidding of course (OH the age difference, and you'll never date a guy who wears heels, but I promise mine will always be shorter, nah it'll never work)!! Anyway, good luck to you and May God Bless You and Keep You.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Laurie - I have always liked your real life writings. The most interesting point is one's reality. First this board looked like everyone but me can afford 100 € or dollars shoes every month. When you stared to write here I find that everyone aren't millionaire. There is some special lady who is looking for her next paycheck JUST LIKE ME and she also got pay the rent and bills.

Reality life in finland - We have poor situation and we even have higher tax rate than elsewhere. We are 5,2 million population and over 200 000 are jobless. Big companies buy our companies. They tell that workplaces will stay. And they will - one or two years. After that assembly-line will move to county which have lower labour cost.

We had Nokia and now most of it's capital stock is abroad. Those "finnish" cellular phones are now "made in low labour cost". If we lose most of our assembly-line and other jobs and every second people will be jobless, families can't afford new cellular phone or other goods anymore.

My reality - We (me and my wife) bought our new row house last year. We didn't accept every builder's materials. We wanted to chance upper closets, floor materials, tiles, terraces, fireplaces (link http://www.nunnauuni.fi/images/leila6.jpg) etc. Our housing loan (or mortgage) covered only the basic materials of our house. Every month we still find necessary goods and every time they are quite expensive and those things makes me to wait the next paycheck. I am looking for the month that we don't need to buy any extra wares.

I have a custom built computer that I purchased four years ago. The hard drive now makes a lot of noise and ultimately, the computer cannot find drive C: after running properly for a few minutes, or refuses to load up. Imagine that coiled spring door stopper, the one that makes a strange vibrating noise if you flick it. or a marble that drops, and the bouncing goes very fast. That is the sound the HDD makes. It's old. PIII 450 with 128 ram, 13 GB Fireball HDD, and only an ATI 2 meg video card. It can't even run demo versions of most games I'd like to play. And now, it doesn't even run. i can't even use it as a CD player! But after four years, I suppose a replacement is in order. However, that won't happen until I can save up for a new tower. For now I am limited by wherever I am staying for the moment, and the particular family member's need for computer time. I am very grateful for family, and for a family that has enough computer knowledge to own PCs and have internet access. :lol: And a mother who takes pictures.

There must be places in Calgary that have good prices on computers or components. A replacement hard drive like you describe should be less than $100 Canadian. Can you or do you have someone to replace it? Reload the software? If I'm too nosey, say so. I just don't want to lose a refreshing person from hhplace.

There's no money for a replacement HDD, and even then, that's not going to solve my problems for good. Besides, what the heck causes damage to a machine so it makes those kind of noises? I haven't dropped the machine or anything. I'll do what I always do. Scrape by, tough it out, manage with the good graces of others, and wait for Fortuna to get back on the upswing again.

Besides, what the heck causes damage to a machine so it makes those kind of noises? I haven't dropped the machine or anything.

Like shoes, hard drives wear out, sadly. That's all there is to it.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

My sister bought her system from the same place a month before me, and hers runs just fine. No fair! I mean, in an ideal world, I would love to get a notebook, so I could take it everywhere and have it handy whenever inspiration zapped me like the lightning bolts that threaten all mortals who defy a goddess-type. Right now, I've decided to make do with borrowing and making time where I can based on family. Be happy for where you are, as it could always be worse. Right?

Even though it was put together at the same place as your sister's doesn't mean that they have the same brand of HDD. IBM/Fujitsu drives "gave up the ghost" real early, as I recall, several years ago. I had a bad experience with an IBM drive that I installed in my son's computer--it lasted exactly one year to the day that I bought it--it had a one year warranty--talk about built-in obsolescence!!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

My sister bought her system from the same place a month before me, and hers runs just fine. No fair!

I mean, in an ideal world, I would love to get a notebook, so I could take it everywhere and have it handy whenever inspiration zapped me like the lightning bolts that threaten all mortals who defy a goddess-type.

Right now, I've decided to make do with borrowing and making time where I can based on family. Be happy for where you are, as it could always be worse. Right?

Computers have many devices that they are sensitive, even if you handle with care. It's common to see a hard drive crashing and producing noise after 5 years of usage. (Even for a Quantum?)

I hope you'll be able to replace your hard drive soon. Now, a 40 gigs hard drive (maxtor or western digital) costs ~100$ canadian could be interesting for you later, when you'll have the opportunity.

Have a nice day Laurieheels!

If you were getting by with an 18 GB HDD, then a 20GB model can be had for less than $59 new, and quite possibly a lot cheaper used. I have a couple of 2GB HDD's I'd give you for free, but since WIN2K needs at least 740MB to install to, that doesn't leave much for programs, etc. If you had a CDRW (which can be acquired now for about $50, you could set it up with a rewritable disk to serve as a data disk drive for another ~650MB.

I believe the drive I have is a Quantum Fireball, 13 GB. It was a free upgrade because they were out of the Quantum 10GB size that my sister had taken for her system the month before. Regardless, I am going to share computers with others for now, staying with family where I can use a computer, and thus stay in touch as best as I can. I do believe that things happen for a reason, so at this point, I will just live my life, and I am sure I will have the chance for a new computer when the timing is right. Positive is the way to go.

I believe the drive I have is a Quantum Fireball, 13 GB. It was a free upgrade because they were out of the Quantum 10GB size that my sister had taken for her system the month before.

Ah well, there's the problem. Your karma's run out on your free upgrade :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Laurie, I haven't posted here since the days when you first started you dairy (I couldn't even remmber my log in or what email address I had used), but I still lurk, reading all the posts every week or two. I so sorry to here what has happened. I was made redundant a couple of years ago (but found a new job) and I know it feels like a real kick in the teeth. And then for you be let down by man & machine must really suck. I do hope things look up for you, and you return to your former goddess glorry. Good Luck Love Rob