Mini Survey - Style suitable for men - ladies advice mostly

HighBoots

I too prefer a boot or a closed shoe. Height of heel does not matter. 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and no higher plat. Heel style, I prefer chunky but it can be curvy. Blade style heel is ok. Square or semi square toe box. Colors should be what ever matches the out fit. But I would stick to black, brown, and light gray. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-02-12 19:51 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I would turn this question on it's head and ask what shoe style is best suited to women? There is no one answer to that; the true answer is it depends what she is wearing and her body shape. The answer for men is the same. Don't push yourselves into a fashion corner. Sure, most men have heavier build and are often going to be wearing trousers. For that scenario, thicker heels or closed boot styles are indeed the most pleasing to the eye, and that's what I wear 90% of the time. However, a guy with nice feet or a thinner build may decide to have a pedicure as is Jamie's wont. Then sandals or open toe mules become a style which blends. Wedges or pump styles may go with sarongs or skirts. Thus the answer depends on the situation. There's no reason why men have to be conventional and conservative in their fashion choices, but the shoe looks best matching the outfit, and if your dress is conventional then a plain shoe, albeit with a heel, is most "suitable".

I pretty much follow what Hoverfly said. The only difference is that I don't really go for the blade type heels. I like mine on the more proportionaly chunky side. I think it's important to note well what Firefox has said too. It gave me something to think about. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I would have to say that most men are concretive when it come to fashion. Compared to women’s dress shoes, men’s dress shoes are concretive across the board. Yes, there are a few who go to the extreme. But Men’s shoes in general to me don't say look at my feet, legs ,butt, and/or bust. They also do not enhance any part of the body other than clothing. Now there are men’s fashion trend shoes, most of the time they are just butt ugly. The only one shoe/boot I can think of that always can be perceived with a high heel for a man is the cowboy boot. However I have not seen men walking in those with a high heel at all.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Two things, I suppose. One, the best shoe is the one that is comfortable for wearing. So heel or no heel, it has to fit. Two, if we look at fashion as a way to enhance the body, then what feature could a man enhance that would gather the most attention from a woman? So a man needs shoes that cause him to thrust out his pelvis. And something that makes him appear to bulge. If heels can accomplish the first thing, maybe someone can design some fancy underwear for the second. On a zoological level, one gender of a species does the attracting, and the other does the searching. Humans have it as women showing their plumage to attract the man. It can be changed, and it should work both ways here. There are a lot of fashions for men that are considered manly that I love. I think they provide wonderful expression, and a man with a certain style of shirt (the no collar high necked shirts that button to the very top)can get my attention while a regular dress shirt with boring collar may not do that. There is room to move, but maybe for men there needs to be more room. Men need to bring about patterns and colours and cuts, and eventually the accessories will fall into place as well. IThe change may need to be subtle, but that will have a wider trend in men's fashions become better rooted in society. And remember boys, the potato goes in front.

When I wear a shoe with a 3 to 4 inch heel I conceder that my upper limit with out altering my walk, or thrusting my hips so much that it is obvious that I am wearing heels. However heels in that range of height does pull in my butt. But it's not to bad. To me, with a pair of pants that is tight or snug around the butt can actually enhanced it. Because when you are moving around, the muscles around that area are constantly contracting, and relaxing. So for those women/men looking at a man's back side who is wearing high heels, I don't think he is missing much of an assset. :smile: Also lose fitting clothing can cover up that area as well. Example, a jacket, or a shirt. There is one feature that high heels dose enhance the body for some men that I can think of. Men who are tall in the chest short in the legs. The short legs make are arms look long. I my mind this is giving us an appearance looking like Neanderthals. There for if I wear a shoe with a 3 to 4 inch heel, my lower half is more proporanet to the upper half. Now if I wear a pair of pants that covers the shoe, no body would casually notice that I am wearing a high heel. But because I know I look better, I feel better. It's the same concept that a women dressed to the tee for no purpose at all other than to make her self feel good. High heels don't have to make you just look good, They can make you feel good as well. Or am I wrong? On a lighter note. For most men, unless they pop a serious woody, I don't think in it's relaxed state there is a problem with it when there hips are thrusted foward wearing high heels. Unless he wants one and attracts a mate. Then that mate better not be to disappointed because of some false advertising!!! B) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-02-13 09:27 ]</font>

in answer to part of Inga's statement. Here in the UK, the did a survey on the streets about a pair of jeans that was deliberately made to enhance the 'bulge' in men's trousers. Mixed reactions followed from it. Some asking if the guy was using padding, others not believing that a guy would wear such a thing. Consequently, they never took off, but they have sparked an interest in that area (oo-er, missus!). I can't remember which designer had put their name to it, but I'm sure he got quite a ribbing from others. Mixed reactions! Sound familiar?

Laurie, I have heard that girls put tissue under their bras, but I had not heard that boys use potatoes. I did not know that! B) So you said..."if we look at fashion as a way to enhance the body, then what feature could a man enhance that would gather the most attention from a woman? So a man needs shoes that cause him to thrust out his pelvis. And something that makes him appear to bulge". I know in the late 70s it was common for men of all sexual orientations to wear tight pants. I think this does what you are suggesting...or are you? The present theme among men is to wear baggy pants that totally hides all anatomy. So do you like men in tighter pants, and what do you think other women like, just so one does not offend too many people in different situations, you know. Personally I don't like most pants. They are baggy and when I walk, the pants rub up and down the leg. Some years ago when I was working at a resort in Manitoba and riding horses a lot, my jeans would rub so much they would tear out all the hair on my legs. That hurts. Now when I go out of the house I am often doing some sort of physical activity or walking and wear tights. They fit against the body, stretch, don't slide at all, and are very comfortable. I do wear a dance belt with them in case your were wondering. I think some women think they look OK, but I know one friend thinks they look terrible because she thinks the body should not be displayed. I think I would get the same comments when wearing tighter fitting pants. Who cares in the end, but there are some situations where one has to hide behind a bit of a image. This note isn't about shoes but is related. Feedback would be nice from anyone. :smile: Ben <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-14 22:44 ]</font>

Hey Ben. You asked me "So do you like men in tighter pants, and what do you think other women like" Well yes, tighter pants are nice, MmMmm men in tight jeans. And you asked me what other women like? Like I care! I'm certainly not thinking like other women, so I could not comment. No offense, other women. I'm a non-conformist, after all, which means, yes, I would do something just to stand when everyone else was doing one thing. I wore four inch heels while doing an internet installs tech ride along. Why? Well one, I wear them every day, but also because everyone would say not to. My suggestion about the potato. Am I serious about men trying to enhance their genitals with tight clothing? When I read your post, this is what sprung to mind: You think I am serious? Even if I lean toward the idea, I'm always being cynical and silly. It appears that I am serious about an idea, and it's just a tease. I type up things to stimulate conversation, after all. You don't honestly think I have to believe what I say, do you? :smile: Life is too depressing for that, so why not just go and have fun? The potato idea is from a joke. And I think they make better products than tissue paper for women these days... If only people knew how silly and weird I actually can be. Wooooooohoo!

Hi Laurie: I think you are just testing us all to see if our ship is anchored? :smile: Regarding the potato thing, I did realize it was a joke, but we don't have a "I know it is a joke face". Ben <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-15 06:18 ]</font>

Interesting metaphor. But then, if your ship is anchored, how can you ever be as much fun as a person should be? I am a mystery, and very quirky. I do not think I test people for the sake of testing. I try people's patience, sure, but that may be something different. The world has gone mad? Good! Maybe I can fit in now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 2002-02-24 03:14, terayon wrote:

I think a nice knee high boot with small platform (or none if you dont like em...doesnt really make a difference) with a 3-4 inch chunky/wedge heel looks really good on both men and women alike

True... but knee high boots are often a bit impractical under trousers, and I never wear shorts, so I'll stick with ankle boots.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Tell me why knee highs are impractical under trousers. I always buy knee highs that are snug around my calves. This keeps my lower legs warmer and is invisible under the trousers. A loose fitting boot or over the knee is more difficult to hide especially when sitting down. With ankle high boots the tops sometimes even get stuck below the hem after getting up from a chair, offering a ridiculous sight. I tend to switch between knee and ankle boots dependong on the outside temperature.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Well, yeah, it depends on the trousers. I've got some easy fit jeans, and they're not a problem under those. I've also got some regular fit jeans, and even snug knee-high boots catch on them. Perhaps I should have another go :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"