2 1/2" heel too "high"?????

sscotty727

My sister-in-law is getting married in October. She is 5'2" and a size 6 to 6 1/2 shoe (same as my wife). Here is a conversation I just had with my wife tonight as we were driving to her dad's house for a visit. ------------- My wife - Can you believe my sister is going to have to find a pair of white pumps in a 2 1/2" height! If she can't find that she doesn't know if she will be able to walk in them. (I was slightly confused and thought she meant she currently had higher heels and was looking for a lower pair, so I replied) Me - So what height does she have now? My wife - None, she has no white shoes yet. She is still looking, but she will have to either get a 2 1/2" heel or get her dress hemmed. She doesn't know if she can even walk in them! Me - She can't walk in a 2 1/2" heel? My wife - She isn't sure. Maybe she will just get the dressed hemmed so she won't have to wear heels at all. Me - But don't most brides wear heels? I mean 2 1/2" isn't high. My wife - (under her breath because girls are in the back seat) maybe not to you, but to the rest of us it is! ------------- The funny thing is, I have known her for over 20 years now and have seen her wear atleast 3" heels before. Suddenly she doesn't know if she can walk in a 2 1/2" heel? Am I missing something?

Well, to be fair, a 2 1/2" heel on a size 6 shoe feels considerably higher than the same heel on a 10 or a 12 :blinkbigeyes: ! That's one advantage you get with bigger feet -- you can wear higher heels. But 2 1/2" doesn't seem like it should be that much of a challenge.

Have a happy time!

I understand that, but as I said, she has worn much higher heels before. She is in excellent shape so it's not like she is getting older and has issues with heels or has a sickness that physical restricts what heels she can wear. Am I missing something about wearing a wedding dress and what seems like minor heels?

I think the whole point - is that she will be wearing a Wedding Dress - with a long, long hemline, long weighty folds of cloth, masses of lace, a veil - and a long train. Wedding dresses are very heavy, cumbersome things - that's why she's unsure if she can walk in the heels. NOT the height of them.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I think the whole point - is that she will be wearing a Wedding Dress - with a long, long hemline, long weighty folds of cloth, masses of lace, a veil - and a long train. Wedding dresses are very heavy, cumbersome things - that's why she's unsure if she can walk in the heels. NOT the height of them.

Ok, now that makes sense. The way my wife went on it was if 2 1/2" heels by themselves were some feat to walk in (no pun intended). My wife wears 3" all the time and has worn 4" before. Same goes with my sister-in-law so I didn't understand the challange. Now I can understand the way you explained it:)

Still,2½¨heels on a female is very low,even at that size,and your comment on th weight of the dress might make sense,but I believe most women talk about their heels to attract attention ,hoping a man will hear that.As you know most men are attracted to heeled women.

Acknowledging the american sizing is different to the uk

My lady wore these for our wedding.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=1763

she is size 5 uk and 5ft 4" and stayed up for the full afternoon and evening.

Just to set a challenge:winkiss:

Al

Alsheels,

Those are very nice heels,the kind all women should wear for their wedding.heel is pretty reasonable,my wife wore similar ones but the heels were higher,what s sight she was

I agree, those are nice heels. My wife actually wore higher pumps as well (I think they were somewhere between a 3" and 4" heel). The main issue I had with was how my wife and sister-in-law seemed to be making such a big deal out of a 2 1/2" heel as if those were very high. I think pussyinboots explaination about heels and a wedding dress sound reasonable. I did ask my wife about it again and she now claims she has never worn a 3" or higher heel, until I reminded her the wedge shoes she wears alot are actually a 3" heel (somehow I think she has the perception that 3" heels are extremely high).

two points.... 1- i've shot several weddings as a photog. most women who have shared their thoughts with me about their heeling experience comment on how surprised they were about their feet getting tired in their heels considering they weren't that high..... the second most popular comment was.. thank goodness i didn't wear such high heels. weddings involves a lot of standing.. more than most heelers are used to. and a lot of standing in place (the weddings i've shot can easily reach a total standing time of 12 hours from start to finish). and factor in fatigue, non-broken in heels.. the pain factor rises fast. and those outfits weigh a heck of a lot more than I ever imagined (both from helping my wife out of her dress.... and having to assist a bride in or out of her outfits for varied reasons... those things weigh too darn much!) 2- most gals when they speak heel heights aren't making exact references. tall is called 3 inch. super tall is called 6 inch. showing off is called 4 inch. (i'm generalizing a little here). none of the gals who have enlightened me on the 'code' seem to be fully aware of what the measurement really means. i had a woman swear to me she never goes crazy and wears 4 inch because she's a "reserved.. good" woman. i had a ruler with me and took it out.. her heels measured 4.25 inch. you should have seen the look of horror on her face. she was convinced she only wore 2 inch heels and her tallest was 3 inch, and they weren't the ones she had on. when i did a photoshoot with her cousin some time later, she was there, and i commented on her heels. and again, she assured me she was being conservative with a nice three inch heel. in my camera bag, i had a ruler (luck had it so, i rarely ever have a ruler on me).. and measured the heel to be two centimeters short of 5 inch. to my surprise, she took them off and said to me, "i'm no hooker" and didn't put them back on after that. her cousin later told me she threw those heels out, and went home bare feet. ok, so this is the most extreme story i've got. but it elaborates on the point. most gals don't really know what heel height they have. they just know that it's cute and they can walk in it. when made to focus on it, they don't know what to think or do. (and add on the pressure of the wedding day looking perfect and balancing that weight... she's not going to know what to think) in short, i was just agreeing with PiB RPM

two points....

1- i've shot several weddings as a photog. most women who have shared their thoughts with me about their heeling experience comment on how surprised they were about their feet getting tired in their heels considering they weren't that high..... the second most popular comment was.. thank goodness i didn't wear such high heels.

weddings involves a lot of standing.. more than most heelers are used to. and a lot of standing in place (the weddings i've shot can easily reach a total standing time of 12 hours from start to finish). and factor in fatigue, non-broken in heels.. the pain factor rises fast. and those outfits weigh a heck of a lot more than I ever imagined (both from helping my wife out of her dress.... and having to assist a bride in or out of her outfits for varied reasons... those things weigh too darn much!)

2- most gals when they speak heel heights aren't making exact references. tall is called 3 inch. super tall is called 6 inch. showing off is called 4 inch. (i'm generalizing a little here). none of the gals who have enlightened me on the 'code' seem to be fully aware of what the measurement really means. i had a woman swear to me she never goes crazy and wears 4 inch because she's a "reserved.. good" woman. i had a ruler with me and took it out.. her heels measured 4.25 inch. you should have seen the look of horror on her face. she was convinced she only wore 2 inch heels and her tallest was 3 inch, and they weren't the ones she had on.

when i did a photoshoot with her cousin some time later, she was there, and i commented on her heels. and again, she assured me she was being conservative with a nice three inch heel. in my camera bag, i had a ruler (luck had it so, i rarely ever have a ruler on me).. and measured the heel to be two centimeters short of 5 inch. to my surprise, she took them off and said to me, "i'm no hooker" and didn't put them back on after that. her cousin later told me she threw those heels out, and went home bare feet.

ok, so this is the most extreme story i've got. but it elaborates on the point. most gals don't really know what heel height they have. they just know that it's cute and they can walk in it. when made to focus on it, they don't know what to think or do. (and add on the pressure of the wedding day looking perfect and balancing that weight... she's not going to know what to think)

in short, i was just agreeing with PiB

RPM

Very well put. Thank you.

I find it funny at that one that threw away shoes she liked just because they were higher than she thought.

Thanks for your post 'RPM' - lucid and valid as always. I'm still amazed at the number of women who associate very high heels with 'professional' occupations....even in these enlightened times! It's especially true with thigh length boots.

However, I digress. I would add another small point about heels and Wedding dresses. For the Bride - at least - if she is wearing a classically styled Wedding dress then the hemline will be draped on the gound - so a heel higher than 2.5" is far more likely to become a hazard from 'snagging' in the hem of the dress. If the hemline is say...mid-calf, or knee-length, then higher heels are not a problem at all - unless of course, she's simply not used to wearing heels on a regular basis.

Tallking of boots...I have only ever seen one Bride wear white thighboots on her Wedding Day...she was a stripper though!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

when i did a photoshoot with her cousin some time later, she was there, and i commented on her heels. and again, she assured me she was being conservative with a nice three inch heel. in my camera bag, i had a ruler (luck had it so, i rarely ever have a ruler on me).. and measured the heel to be two centimeters short of 5 inch. to my surprise, she took them off and said to me, "i'm no hooker" and didn't put them back on after that. her cousin later told me she threw those heels out, and went home bare feet.

That beggers belief, it really does! :blinkbigeyes:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I actually bought a new pair of white high heels for my wedding but the big dress that was literally all over the place combined with nerves that just made me wanna throw up was a bit to much and I was absolutely sure that I was going to trip on the hem and fall flat on my nose when I walked down the isle... Sooo, seconds before I was supposed to walk down there with my dad I kicked them of. No one saw my feets under that big dress anyway... :blinkbigeyes: If it would've been today I sure would've got a short dress and stunning 5" heels..

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

I had to measure something earlier today, so while I had the tape measure out, I pulled it out to 2 1/2 inches and said "This is 2 1/2 inches. Do you still think this is high?" and she said "No, that doesn't look high at all". I then put it to 3" and said "This is 3", I know you have worn atleast that" and she nodded in agreement. I then grabbed one of my wedge heels (the ones I wear as slippers and showed her it was 3 1/2 inches) and she said "That doesn't look high at all, maybe I am thinking of 5 inches." I pulled it to 5" and said "Yes, that would be high." (especially considering her and her sister wear US 6.5 size shows) I do think her perspective on how high heels are were skewed a bit.