Sizing of higher-priced brands...

docs41

I have a question for the members of the forum. Do the sizes of the more expensive brands tend to run smaller? I wear a size 10 in US women's sizes, and my foot is not wide. Of course many of the higher-end brands have some incredible styles, but like many of us forum members I can rarely afford them. On three occasions I found some great sales on shoes that were normally around 200 bucks so I ordered them from Zappos or 6pm.com. They were wedge loafer styles and a size 10. The first was a pair by La Canadienne which were fine in length but too narrow. The next was a similar pair of stretch fabric wedges by Stuart Weitzman--same problem--too narrow. The third I received yesterday which was a nice pair of Michael Kors suede leather wedge loafers that I really wanted to wear tonight to a dinner that my wife and I are attending. Again they were waaaayyyy too narrow. What gives? I usually have little trouble with sizing in the regular brands that cost less regardless if they are shoes, sandals, flats or heels. Do the wealthy women who usually buy these brands have narrower feet than us common folks? I just thought it was strange to have the same issue with three different brands. Anyone else ever have this problem? Thanks for listening!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

The good news is that shoes (and boots) stretch widthwise very well as they are cut 'tight to toe'. Just get some decent quality shoe stretch fluid and a stretcher and they will eventually be fine.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks Dr. Shoe and Dawn for the suggestion which leads me to another question. How tight is "too tight" for a stretcher to be able to help? I returned the Kors shoes already, but they were so tight I'm not even sure that they could be stretched enough to wear comfortably. They seemed exceptionally narrow just like the Stuart Weitzman's that I bought earlier. Now the La Canadiennes weren't as bad as the other two pairs. I guess I'm not certain as to how much a shoe can be stretched effectively. Thanks for helping this novice in shoe stretching!

Sizing really has nothing to do with price. If you shop at Payless you will find that their Highlights and Predictions labels run larger that American Eagle or Dexter. Highlights and Predictions I can usually wear a 10 or 10W. American Eagle or Dexter I have to get in 11 or 11W. Pricing is the same basically.

The sizing situation is a big mess, as has been documented in a number of threads around here. It is bad enough if you stick with one system but when you start converting between the (at least) three different systems in general use, the confusion is compounded. Each manufacturer seems to have its own interpretation of the sizing system they use and sizes often vary between different styles from the same manufacturer. That is the reason behind the "try before you buy" advice so often given on this site. But, alas, we guys often have to settle for that perfect pair that is "almost the right size" because it is not available in the size we really want. A good stretcher can be a real asset here. From experience, you can stretch 1/2 size fairly reliably. In some cases you may be able to stretch a full size but you have to start with a shoe that is well-made in the first place. Stretching forces will tear poorly-made shoes apart. You can stretch the width but you cannot do much about the length, (although with the tapered toe-boxes common in high heeled designs, adding width can help make a shoe feel longer). If your toe is bumping up against the end of the toe-box, adding all the width in the world isn't going to help. Stretch gradually, let the material stretch at its own rate. Increase the force bit by bit over several days and try the shoes on frequently to see how it is progressing. That's the advantage of having your own stretcher -- you can really get a custom fit.

Have a happy time!

I bought a couple of pair of the Steve Madden wedge shoes, as shown on my avatar, on ebay. I wear a woman US size 11 shoe, and the size 11s I got fit fine. A couple of pair though came in with a sticker on them saying 11, but underneath they were size 41. I have found charts that say 41 = 11, but others say 41 = 9 1/2. I think it is somewhere in between. The 41s are more snug (and you can see slightly smaller if you put the soles together) but not as drastic as a 11 vs 9 1/2.

sscotty, I've had some issues with conversions from European to US sizes too. I bought a pair of Korkease sandals through Ebay advertised as size 10 and when I received them they were actually size 40, although they did fit well. I have always been of the opinion that 41=10 in US female sizes. As far as Madden I've been fortunate with their sizes being accurate. It's a shame that there is so much variance in sizes from brand to brand, and sometimes even within the same manufacturer.

I only noticed it when I was wearing a pair of 41's pawned off as being 11's and my ankles started to swell by the end of the day after being squeezed. Actually, I think I just had a personal issue with swelling (need to watch my diet and exercise more). I think once I get it under control, I can probably wear them without issue. This style seems to stretch well.

When shoes are made of materials with leather or elastic vinyl qualities, some conforming can eventually be achieved. They usually can be stretched without creating noticeable damage. If the synthetic materials with rigid qualities are used, they won't stand the stress of being stretched as readily without resulting in obvious damage most of the time, like sewing joints tearing and glued areas coming apart. These type of shoes have to fit the first time or they will be nothing but uncomfortable and a problem to wear. In looking for heels, the support of the arch should also be considered to obtain the best comfort. Most heels are rarely made to support this area of the foot. They actually resemble a straight incline from the back of the heel to the toe box, causing the comfort level of the foot to become fatigued much sooner and then the wearer longs to take them off as soon as possible. This could be one of the reasons many women hate to wear heels for lengthy periods of time, if at all.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to those with the advice about shoe stretchers. I got one for flats and one for heels and it is incredible how well they work. I've stretched several pairs that I thought would be too painful to wear, and they turned out to be very comfortable. While I think the Kors that I bought were still too small it is good to know that most tight shoes can be fixed with a little stretching. Thanks again...