cheap ankle boots + replacement heel = possible?

jwhite44

I'm still on my quest to find a pair of ankle boots that I can feel comfortable in when I go out. Last year I bought a pair of Avenue (Cloudwalker) ankle boots. Their main advantage was they had a non-stilletto heel, and were available in a size 13W. Disadvantages are: they are shiny, brown material; have a square toe; and (I think) an incredibly loud heel. In a previous thread, I commented on changes I made to them: had replacement heel tips installed (I think rubber instead of plastic), and I filled the hollow heels with expanding foam insulation. There was some improvement, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Avenue now has these ankle boots:

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Nevada-Buckled-Boot-Wide-Width.aspx?PfId=179891&DeptId=19963&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

which address two of the issues: they are a duller black material, and a rounded toe. However, I can tell that the heel looks to be identical to my previous boot, so I'd expect the noise to be just as bad.

My question - would a cobbler be able to replace the entire heel assembly, not just install new sole? One reason I ask this is because I'm sure they're "China's finest" construction: they were only $33 (could have been $24.50 if I used an online discount), so I'm not sure how well shoes like this can be disassembled and modified.

I'd like to make some changes:

1. I want to go with the quietest heels possible. I'm not sure if that's rubber, crepe, whatever. I'd like them to be dead quiet.

2. I'd like to move to a chunkier heel. The current heel tapers to a base that's about 1 3/8" x 1 3/8". Projecting down from the heel of your foot, and staying within the shoe framework, it looks like that could go up to 2" x 2". To me that makes it a lot more passable.

3. I'd consider upping the height a little. The current heel is 3 1/4", if I eliminate most of the toe "curl up", I can get 3 1/2" I think pretty easily, and maybe up to 3 3/4" if I push it and go with almost a flat sole. I'm assuming that if I had the heel height increased, the cobbler would adjust the mounting angle of the heel to the shoe, so that whatever the height, the heel remains perpendicular to the ground.

4. Not a big deal, but with this much is getting done, I'd ask if the side buckle straps could easily be removed.

Comments? To some degree, cost isn't a major issue (I mean, $50-80), since my alternative is likely a full custom pair of boots. Certainly I'd take it to a cobbler first for their price estimate, but if there's anything I should ask for (I think type of heel is most important), it would be good to know that going in.

Thanks.

post-13957-133522898575_thumb.jpg

There is nothing like the distinctive, easily recognizable sound of high heels striking a hard surface to attract people's attention. It doesn't matter what style of shoes you are wearing, people automatically try to locate the origin of the sound without consciously thinking about doing so. I have a pair of black Nine West Penny Loafer style shoes, with 2 3/4" heels that I often wear out and about doing daily activities. People can hear me coming down the street or hallway from ½ mile away....or, so it seems. I've actually been walking down hallways in government buildings and have had men turn around to see where the "heels" sound is coming from, only to take a quick look at my shoes, then of me, and go about their business once they realize it was just a man wearing shoes with very hard leather heel.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes. It looks like a knock-on heel so it should be easy enough.

Do not carve a pair out of wood, either paint them black or cover them with leather and using some wood screws attach them yourself. It would be bad advice for me to tell you to do it. :cry1:

All shoe repairs or modifications should be done by a competant professional.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I know the feeling about thinking people 1/2 mile away can hear your heels. It's difficult enough as it is trying to be discreet when I'm over 6' (w/o heels) and have a sz 13 foot, I really don't need to blaring noise (at least it seems that way) of a high heel click further announcing my presence.

The type of heel I'd like to replace it with is from a shoe I reviewed last year (look for the picture attachment at the bottom of the first post): http://www.hhplace.org/guys/12341-great_shoe_future_first-time_public_heelers.html

As I comment back then:

the heels are solid rubber (or rubber-like material). You could jump and and down in them, there is absolutely no heel noise at all.

[Looking back at those boots, still think they're a great pair of boots, probably preferrable to these Nevada ones. However even back then, when sz 13 availably from Payless was decent (compared to it now), they still didn't carry them in my size.]

I'm thinking now, it might now be a bad idea to bring in that picture of the Megan boots, so I can show the cobbler what type of replacement heel I'm thinking about.

If only I had a smaller foot, life would be so simple...

An update. I decided to print out the picture of those Megan boots, thinking that if I can show the cobbler what I'm trying to get, it might help him. [if Payless still sold the boots, I'd buy a pair (any size) so I could bring an actual shoe in to be examined.] There was a fellow HHP'er who posted about owning the Megan's, I pm'd him asking if he might be able to provide some additional pictures. I'm guessing this is not a typical request for the cobbler, so the more info I can provide, hopefully it will lead to better results.

I was trying to think on how I could simulate the possible new heel heights, so I could decide what to ask for. I came up with what I thought was a creative solution: I took a catalog I received in the mail, opened it out, cut it across the catalog into 1" or so strips, rolled them about 4x to build up it's thickness, laid it under the heel, and taped it to the sides of the heel with scotch tape. One strip was enough to get a 1/4" lift; I used two strips for the 1/2" lift, taking out some sheets to get the right height .

I'm glad I did this, because it really made me notice the difference! With the 1/4" lift, I could still walk basically normally - didn't notice much difference between it (on one foot) and the stock shoe (on other foot). However, when I put the 1/2" lift on the other shoe, so I could compare 1/4" to 1/2" lifts, there was a big difference. The 1/2" lift caused the sole of the shoe to basically flatspot, and I could notice "landing" on my toes on almost every step. In contrast, the 1/4" lift was fine.

I had read about the "toe curl" while research shoe modifications, basically that you don't want the sole to be flat with the ground, but want it to curl up. Maybe I didn't read all the text on it, but I just assumed it was meant to assist when starting a stride - you wanted the shoe to sort of rock forward as you move forward. From my limited testing, it seems like the curl is more important for the landing - you want to make sure first contact is with the ball of your foot, not your toes.

I was contemplating the new heel height: should I go higher, for a bit more excitement, or lower, for a bit more practicality. I'm glad now I have justification on which way to go.

Barring changes, I'm hoping to bring the boots in this week. I'll be curious to see: 1) if he can do it, 2) what the cost is. I'm guessing maybe $50-$60, but that's just a guess.

Nuts! Took the boots in today, first asked, "Do you replace heels on boots?", he said yes. Then I showed him the boots, told him I was looking for a replacement heel, then he said, "No, I can't do that." (I think something about can't get heels like that anymore). All he said he could do is replace the heel tip, which is the same thing he did on my last pair of boots, which didn't make any difference. So now I need to look around and see if I can find another shoe repair store. This one looked pretty good - full store just for shoes (and maybe leather), lots of old stuff, older guy (so he probably know what he's doing). Only dilemna is do I keep the boots if I can't find someone now to replace the heels (hoping I find someone later), or just return them? I'm assuming I'll have until mid-January (Christmas return window) to decide.