UK viewers; Thurs 8th May, 11:30pm ITV1 "Voices"

Francis

Francis, feel free to tell your lovely wife that I forgot to set the video anyway, so I missed it! Darn.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 2 weeks later...

while the program was aimed at the goth and vampire scene, it did raise a few of the questions about how 'alternative' people are percieved by the average person. They face the same problems as we do with our heels. Because we dare to be different, we are thought of as being weird or mal-adjusted. The fact that we prefer to do something different doesn't sit right with others, but we all have different tastes and extremes. here we all likes heels. Some are admirers, some are wearers and some wear in public without fear, but one of my hobbies (model railways) would be seen as weird by some members of this forum. That's OK, because I think people who sit and scream at the tv while watching football are weird, but I don't think they are tapped or a fruit loop, they are just doing what they enjoy and so they should. at the end of the day, we are all people, so why should it make a difference what we wear, what we do and what we think? It shouldn't, but the fact is the world doesn't operate like that :wink: Until such time as it does we shall continue to be thought of as weird by those that either don't understand or don't want to understand.

sounds like the same message any documentray shown about alternative lifestyles presents. I recently watched shows on Transexuals and one called "Changing Places," they have identical problems that we do. Same set of problems -- different issues.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I sometimes fail to remember that TV programmes need to run to half an hour plus interruptions for singing toilet rolls. It's hard to present a well-rounded examination of a topic in that kind of space. I guess they just pick a handly tag line and film stuff around it. After all, there's so many people on here, we're all different, how would a documentary maker approach this place? They'd probably pick a few people, film them walking up and down a bit, do a couple of noddy shots, and Bob's your uncle. That wouldn't capture the wonderful variety of people here, but it'd make a TV programme. Oh well, been on telly anyway, so I can relax about it :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I observed the Beeb filming for a Science programme last year. They worked for nearly 7 hours getting over 5 hours of stuff on tape -- then edited it down to less than 4 minutes. Hmm.