Heels and architecture

xaphod

You might have gathered from my adventures in Belgium that Highluc and I went around Brussels while I gawped at some of the Art Noveau architecture of Victor Horta.

Here's a couple of pics:-

http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/images/1053424554

This is yours truly (in 5" Fuss heels) outside the house of Paul Hankar, a Horta contemporary.

http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/images/1053424473

Again the work of another Horta contemporary, Jules Brunfaut.

Xa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys, what's happening with the picture server. Any server is fine, but if it stays for only this short a time, I won't be posting any more pics. Xa

I hope you had a great time wandering around the old buildings 'pod.I'm no expert but that house? you are standing in front of is very interesting. The round windows are different, that’s for sure. Being an antipodean from a relatively young country, we don't have those "really old buildings”. There are Victorian structures here of some note, but nothing compared to those fine old European buildings.....and a lot of these are being knocked down. What a shame we're loosing such precious links to our past all for the sake of car parks and high rises. Anyway, I'm sure you enjoyed yourself and thanks for sharing. jim

Hi, Jim,

I'm also no expert, but some things in life other than heels give me a buzz too. Avant-garde architecture is such a thing. If I had lots of time, possibly I would pursue a course of study in the subject, but , for now, I'll remain an enthusiastic amateur.

I'll reload the pics plus a couple of Hotel Solvay, which is the best known of Victor Horta's works after I get back from Ruth's nn th birthday party.

Xa

If asked to name my favorite architectural monument, it would have to be the Chrysler building at 42nd and Lexington in New York City. It appeared in a book about perspective drawing by the American illlustrator Simon Greco, which I read as a small boy (I still have it).

Michael

Yes, I too like the Chrysler building. It was built a few years before the Empire State and was the tallest building in New York before it was usurped by the taller (but relatively non-descript) Empire State. Of the two, I prefer the Chrysler Building.

Back to the plot ....

I promised a pic of the famous Hotel Solvey by Horta in Brussels .... here goes

Posted Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a theory about the disappearing picture links.

If I remember correctly, the upload is provided by a lurker heely, and for any facility such as this we should be grateful. From his/her point of view, what an easy way to collect lots of heely pictures with little effort. If this makes the lurker happy, all well and good.

Now yours truly comes along and uploads things other than an 'in your face' pair of heels .... oops no buzz for the lurker so the architecture and heels gets deleted. I cannot complain, but I am a bit sad that our lurker isn't quite as philanthropic as I had hoped.

Xa

Great pictures Xa. I'm a fan of the bulidings in the great European cities. It's a shame so much damage was done during WWII. Maybe if some heels are more visible they won't get nuked. Otherwise I might be able to host them for you.

Great pictures Xa. I'm a fan of the bulidings in the great European cities. It's a shame so much damage was done during WWII. Maybe if some heels are more visible they won't get nuked. Otherwise I might be able to host them for you.

Why not try and find an architecturally awesome shoe shop? Perhaps that'd work :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 9 months later...