The Excursions of Stilletto Al

stillettoAl

So it’s been a few weeks, and I’ve decided it’s time to stop posting new experiences on my “first time thread” and make one where I’ll write about everything new. So here it is. (I don’t have pics yet, I promise I will take pics of everything and post them as soon as I find my digital camera and have a few mins)

So today, 9/14/09 I decided to try my longest and most public outing so far. My silver pumps I used for my last outing are technically stiletto (the heel tip is smaller than a dime) but barely. So today I wanted to try my thinnest heels, four inch almond toe patent black pumps with heels about as thin as they come. These are my first heels and I got them a bit loose, but they still fit, so last night I went for a half mile walk in my neighborhood late when the street was empty to practice walking in them.

Finally this morning I put together my outfit: dark jeans, t-shirt, open oxford dress shirt, and my custom made cloth man bag, and of course, black stiletto heels :) I drove to the closest mall (no small feat, driving manual in stilettos is tough at first lol) Once I got there I parked by H&M and walked in. I looked for the Aldo they were supposed to be opening, but it wasn’t open yet. I walked around for a while, stopped to fill out one of those win a car things, then I went to Shoe Dept. I was looking for boots since I seriously want to start wearing stiletto boots to school b/c I’m not ready for pumps yet (my goal is to wear stiletto pumps before the semester is over to class thoughJ They didn’t have any boots I liked, I did try on a pair of platform pumps that looked really cool and out there, but I didn’t buy them. Unfortunately the only employee was talking to another customer the whole time I was there and didn’t notice me. I was really hoping to talk to the same girl who helped me last time. I popped into forever 21 and H&M looking for girls jeans to wear with heels, talked to a couple sales girls, but didn’t find any I liked. So from there I left the mall and went to the DSW by the mall. I looked through the clearance and tried on a pair of Steve Madden and Chinese laundry platform wedge sandles (I liked the look, I might consider wearing them, pedicure didn’t match them though) then I looked for boots, the only ones I found were more than I wanted to spend, so I left and went home. So that’s it, but when I got home, in the mail (which I took from the mailman still wearing my heels, he didn’t notice L was my welcome to the club thing from DSW, along w/ a $10 off coupon, which I’m thinking I’ll use soon for the boots I've been wantings.

Even though I hesitate to say “take seriously” I feel like the workers in stores take you more seriously (or are less likely to think you’re there to try everything on, mess it up and not buy when you come in wearing your own heels. Even if they think it’s weird they still see that you wear heels, so I felt like they actually treated me better than when I wear sneakers and look at heels. So my plan is from now to only shop for heels, or for that matter, makeup (I wear eyeliner and my toes are always painted) or girls jeans when I’m already in heels, or at least my makeup done thicker (I wear it most days, but only a little, so it’s not obvious), or (I know this isn’t the right forum for this) I finally get the courage to go out with my finger nails painted (something I’ve been wanting to try). Even if they think it’s weird I think having any of that makes us look more like potential customers than a nuisance. (just my take based on the vibes I’ve gotten)

I know this was long, hope to have more to write about, and I will post pics of everything (and my new boots if I find some) soon.

Thanks guys, sorry about posting a novel :) lol

Stilletto Al

very interesting story AL and i wish you luck in finally wearing stiletto pumps to class:silly:. It must take a lot of courage to finally step outside and not be afraid to show the world what u enjoy. I myself start university in a week and couldnt in my wildest dreams start wearing stilettos to class. I am however tempted to purchase some low heel brown or black boots too kick things off and wear around campus. It would make a hell of a change from the normal skate shoes and baggy jeans i do wear outside most of the time. Anyway im rambling on and just wish u good luck in your future heel endeavours:thumbsup:

Congratulations on a successful outing. I have found also that clerks are a little more receptive to you when you come into a shoe store wearing high heels when looking for or trying on a pair of new high heels. Good luck to you on future outings.

I do a lot of "retailing" when out in heels and I agree totally that you are taken more seriously when wearing heels than when you are not. Only once in my life have I ever been asked if I wanted to try a pair of heels when I wasn't wearing heels, for example. Also, not everybody makes an effort to help even when you are wearing heels, but in my opinion you do get taken more seriously as a potential customer. I think you are right on with that observation. Another point you made that is quite valid is trying to talk to the same clerks who have helped you in the past. I have found that if you develop relationships with people in stores, you will get excellent service and it will also spread to the rest of the staff. In fact, I have developed social relationships this way and it is quite rewarding. I am looking forward to reading more of your "excursions" and think you have the right attitude and confidence to have some wonderful times exploring!

Style is built from the ground up!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been forever since I've gotten to do anything really fun in heels, so sorry about my absence. Today I went from feeling like I wanted to give up wearing my heels in public to loving it more than ever and having my fav experience so far, a new fav store (and new fav pair of boots;)

I went to a mall farther from my house than usual but out by my school. I decided that I wanted to wear my black stiletto pumps out again, and I had a whole outfit w/ jeans, a dress shirt sticking out under a sweater and my bag. So I got out of my car and started walking toward "Shi by journeys" I got probably 5 bad looks that I saw, someone looked at my feet and looked back up with a frown / scowl. I’ve never really had negative feedback before, so while I was walking toward the store I started thinking "if society isn't ready for men wearing heels, why do I still do it? It would be so much easier to just wear them around the house and stick to sneakers and men's dress shoes in public" so I was thinking that as I walked into Shi which was totally empty, except for the sales girl. She was about 25 and had a couple tattoos, and looked pretty open-minded. So unlike my first store experience, when she asked if she could help me find anything I said "I saw on your website that you go up to size 11, I love stilettos, so could you let me know what you carry in a big 10 or an 11?" and she said "sure" disappeared to the back, and came back with a stack of shoe boxes that were all size 11 :w00t2: she watched me try on 6 different pairs of pumps, walk around in them, and she commented on how they looked w/ my outfit.

She was great, it was exactly how I would love to be treated, she knew I'm a normal, straight guy who happens to LOVE wearing high heels, and she had a way of talking to me that I loved, she somehow figured out that I want to be treated like a regular manly guy (which I am about everything else) she talked about the browns, and how their season is going. But she sensed that I'm a girl at heart just when it comes to shoes, and nail polish. She complimented me on my orange toes, said the black pumps I was wearing were "soooo cute on me" She probably said the words "cute pumps" 5 or 6 times about the shoes I was trying on. Finally I tried on the boots I ended up buying (and posted a pic of); they were a size 10 calf high pair of stilettos with a platform. They're the highest heels I own and my only plats. I even stayed to talk for a few mins after the transaction. They were a bit narrow so she even offered to stretch them for me (which made them fit even better) She was just completely cool and at ease with a guy coming in and trying on cute heels and buying a pair so I left the store totally happy, back in love w/ public heeling, walked around the mall for another 20 mins or so thinking there is still hope for society after all :chuckle:

Here's the page w/ the boots, it's on the Shi website so it'll probably eventually be down, but this is seriously my new fav store, I only tried on 6 pairs of pumps and these boots, but they had another dozen or so size 11s that I didn't like the style of (I felt it would be rude to try something completely out there on that I knew I had no intention of buying, even though she probably wouldn't have minded)

http://www.journeys.com/shi/product.aspx?id=139327&p=shoes&c=933#reviews

I'm not a huge fan of the studs on the side, but even w/ jeans that show the whole heel they're still covered, and I'm loving my new boots, I haven't taken them off yet since I bought them a couple hours ago

post-19451-133522893548_thumb.jpg

A very nice outing StillettoAl and you bought a GREAT pair of boots, to boot! Don't let the negative looks bother you, it does happen from time to time, but when you encounter it, press on through and usually you will find some people, or at least someone, who will be fairly supportive as you did. I have a lot of outings recently, where some have gone very well and others have been less positive, but as long as I am doing my thing I try not to care. Not in every case, but you usually never miss with younger females in fashion forward places. As for what society is ready to accept, other than using judgment of where you choose to go, it really doesn't matter in the end. Most people have never seen a guy in heels, so an occasional disapproving glance, snicker, or whatever is par for the course. Don't let any of that bother you and keep on heeling! Thanks for the report on a great outing.

Style is built from the ground up!