Posting Problem

When I compose a message, I am asked to log in before opening the message screen, which I do. If the message is long, my dial-up provider disconnects due to lack of action before I am finished. This seems to lose the login to HHPlace, as when I then try to post the message, it asks for login again, then deletes the message I have written. GRRR.

One way to prevent that you have to re-type your message is the following. Type your answer not in the box on the "reply screen", but instead type it in an editor like Notebook (I assume here, that you are using some flavour of Windows). When you are satisfied with what you have typed, go back to hhplace, press the "reply" button, and copy and paste your reply from the editor into the reply box. If your provider should have closed your internet connection in the meantime: reconnect, and again paste your answer from your editor (where it is still present) into the reply box of hhplace. That way you won't have to type it again, especially when it is a rather lengthy answer.

If you are using Windows, you may be able to change the idle timeout on your dial-up connection. It's unlikely that your ISP is disconnecting you - it's more likely that your own computer is dropping the link (well, at least here in the UK that's how it seems to work). It's somewhere in the connection properties of your dial-up link. I can't get more specific without starting up a copy of Windows, sorry. But post or PM if you'd like more help on this, and I'll see what I can do. ObShoe: I'm also looking for a pair of chunky Chelsea boots with a bit of a heel, as they're nice and unisex, as well as handy for all-day wear.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Yeah, I found the time was set to 15 minutes for logoff. I reset it to 20 min. I didn't think it was taking that long to write a message. I am traveling, and don't have a high speed always on connection like at home.

When I compose a message, I am asked to log in before opening the message screen, which I do. If the message is long, my dial-up provider disconnects due to lack of action before I am finished. This seems to lose the login to HHPlace, as when I then try to post the message, it asks for login again, then deletes the message I have written. GRRR.

Hi Bob,

I have ranted some time ago in this thread because of the same problem. Somebody - I believe it was Azraelle - told me a clever solution:

Under Windows you should mark (SHIFT + CURSOR) your whole text and copy it into the clipboard (CTRL + INS) before submitting it. If the connection ist lost, login again and copy the content of the clipboard into a new postreply window (SHIFT+INSERT). Finally simply submit your reply!

This method is also useful for posting the same text simultaneously in different forums or/and in several e-mails.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!