High Heels and Bicycling?

Notice that bike? It's outfitted with racing handlebars and hand brakes yet it is a single-speed.

jmc

Ah, welcome to the weird world of fixed single speed cycling, also known as fixies. As you point out it is a racing bike but just to add to the fun there is no freewheel (you have to keep moving the pedals) oh and get this some only have a single brake! They've become all the rage in the UK as in many other western cities; frankly as a cross country (full suspension) cyclist, I'm afraid I don't see the point for most of the "fashionistas" urban cycling still needs a high level of control to avoid accidents.

They come from cycle couriers, who want an ultra lightweight, ultra low maintenance bike for work - which I get but why they have become fashionable for anyone else escapes me. The bubble already seems to have burst though as many people have had repeated accidents / found them to be too much hard work for a typical British urban setting.

Anyway, I'll step down off my soap box and get back to the heels.

Richard

jimc, I myself own a REDLINE monocog 29er (single-speed) & I love it!:) (ofcourse I still need to RIDE it which I dont have a lot of time right now)

I could cover more ground in a pair of 5-inchers than on a fixed wheel bike in our fair capital city! I know which is the most dangerous by far......... My Brompton folding bike and Pleasers are a much less alluring prospect for commuters than Maverick's excellent photo spot!

jmc

Ah, welcome to the weird world of fixed single speed cycling, also known as fixies. As you point out it is a racing bike but just to add to the fun there is no freewheel (you have to keep moving the pedals) oh and get this some only have a single brake! They've become all the rage in the UK as in many other western cities; frankly as a cross country (full suspension) cyclist, I'm afraid I don't see the point for most of the "fashionistas" urban cycling still needs a high level of control to avoid accidents.

They come from cycle couriers, who want an ultra lightweight, ultra low maintenance bike for work - which I get but why they have become fashionable for anyone else escapes me. The bubble already seems to have burst though as many people have had repeated accidents / found them to be too much hard work for a typical British urban setting.

Anyway, I'll step down off my soap box and get back to the heels.

Richard

Yup, they come from track-cycling(on ovals), where brakes are hardly/not used and one speed(very very fast) is enough.

High heels may be used as brakes, or do they get any aerodynamical advantage?

LOL

well mybike is not a fixed-gear type-to me thats akin to"tykes on trikes" kind of thing if you get my meaning I like to coast on occasion but other than that it is a single speed bike, havnt tried to ride in my heels as of yet but I think it would not that safe!:)