Egypt

Just had a fantastic time in Egypt 10 days, Nile cruise and a final 2 in Cairo, nice and warm. Doing all (well seemed like all) the sites DO not even think about heels just not a do-able escapade even the best sites are dodgy. In the Luxor regions you'd be lucky to see a 1/2 inch kitten heel on the street from the richer locals, it's only the tourists that are braver at evening meals. Cairo is a little taller with the locals (3" on average) but then there is more money in the city. Except they walk like they are wearing combat boots! No elegance! They do seem to like heels the Mall belonging to the Ramses Hilton had about 10 shoe shops, one with a full window just for platforms and boots otherwise the general good styles are strappy evening sandals. Out and about in most areas the footwear is very poor even on building sites sandals and canvas shoes in poor repair is the norm. What is strange, seeing a woman in a full Yashmak with bright heels. All the men eye up the European girls and I mean girls 12 upwards. as for us guys, I don't think they would be able to cope with us in heels, I would not recommend it a good/safe place to go heeling except the very best places in Cairo with a LOT of confidence. "Clash of etiquette sir" would remain on the agenda. A week and more out of heels but then I had done something to my ankle before I went (felt like permanent cramp). And now I'm trying to catch up with the site news. Al

They wear really bright clothes under the yasmak. It is only intended as outer wear for when they venture from the house.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.