The high heel market

Histiletto

It seems to me that the available shoes in large sizes are decreasing. It is hard to find mini platforms over U.S. size 12, and many are only up to 10. There are plenty of tall platforms, but not for me any more. Other than Pleaser, no one seems to sell large sizes very much. Fredericks only goes up to 10 or 11 in many of their shoes, whereas they used to carry them up to 14.

I too am seeing a decrease in shoes in larger sizes. It wasn't long ago that I could go to a Nine West store and they would have almost anything I wanted in an 11 or 12. This season, they MAY have a 10, but very few larger sizes. Right now, I have more shoes than I know what to do with, so when I buy it is usually something unique that just strikes my fancy at the moment.

Style is built from the ground up!

Maybe the decreased selection of larger sizes has to do with the economy? Demand drives supply. Perhaps people who wear larger sizes are buying fewer shoes nowadays or shoe manufacturers are making smaller sizes where it is more cost-effective for them to do so. Airwolf

Maybe the decreased selection of larger sizes has to do with the economy?...Airwolf

That would be my vote. I commented about this in a previous "would you pay more for larger size shoes?" thread. I think 'less common' sizes (either very small or very large) are riskier propositions for manufacturers: they probably sell 100 (maybe 1000) size 8 shoes for every size 11 or 12. In tougher economic times, those less popular sizes are likely the first to be cut back.

Some time ago there was an announcement of main stream companies discounting production of larger size footwear. Payless has even reduced the shelving space for larger shoes at there stores. Even my GF's size 9 shelving space has been reduced as well. Luckily they still carry larger sizes on their web sight. However I see some continuing to produce larger sizes and some web sights carrying them. Also custom larger sizes becoming more abundant to fill in the gap. All though we will pay a higher price. Shorten up the supply and demand will increase making larger sizes more profitable. No more bargens...........;-)

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!