How To

I would like to see a "How to" section somewhere on the board. There may be one already but if there is I dont know where it is. Things like How To post a picture How To add a URL How To view a picture that is represented as a square with a cross in it. etc What promted this is 1 I cant access my saved mail and have no idea what you do about it. 2 There are lot of people out there who have a vast knowledge in computer stuff that could be put to use. Thanks Jeff

Try the FAQ section

http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/faq.php

or the BBcode help

http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/faq.php?mode=bbcode

To view a broken link picture, that can sometimes be acheived by right button click to get the properties, find the URL, and copy/paste that into a browser window address line. Or you can try other tricks like trying to load the HTML page where the pic is linked on.

Thanks Firefox but I have had a look at the FAQ list and nothing there tells me why I cannot access my saved mail. I can access all my sent and outgoing mail but not my saved mail. Jeff

In the Private Messages part, I also cannot access the Saved Messages option.

Anything that I want to keep for a short while I just leave in the Sent Items or In folder.

I would like to see a "How to" section somewhere on the board.

There may be one already but if there is I dont know where it is.

Things like How To post a picture

How To add a URL

How To view a picture that is represented as a square with a cross in it.

etc......

I think what Jeff is getting at is a section that gives a step-by-step procedures of how to perform certain functions. This is necessary for the newcomers and the less experienced visitors.

Suppose that someone wants to know "How do I show an image below my username?". You can find that question in the FAQ but you won't find the answer. The FAQ gives a general description of what avatar images are, but that is not the answer to the question. The answer should be how to get to the profile section and post the image link to display the avatar image.

The FAQ does not provide enough details for some topics. As another example, suppose I want to find out "How To Change My Rank?". Although this question is in the FAQ, the answer is incomplete. It does not indicate how many posts are required for a particular rank. You can find this detail in a posting somewhere in the Forum. But it takes time to search for it.

Although the FAQ here does provide lots of information, it requires a review and evaluation. I would be willing to review it and offer my own suggestions for answers if none of the managers and administrators have the time.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I know what you mean here. I had to ask my brother how post photos and have had to spend hours and hours on here :o:D:D:( to find out how to do other things and I have to admit can't remember how I did the avatar thing I discovered that one by accident and determination. Hey not that I'm complaining :o but it would be nice to have a help desk or something for us amateurs :wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

To PJ You have hit the nail on the head as they say. That is what I would like to see. There are a lot of people out there who have even the basics of the knowledge to lead them in the direction to do what they want. But there are also a lot, I am willing to bet, who do not have that basic knowledge and probalbly dont want to show it so they dont ask. The assumtion appears to be that every one knows something about it so finding your way is just a matter of trial and error at least, but if I dont have the knowledge to even start then where am I? To Julietta Thanks for backing me. To SH Yes I am talking about personal messges As I said in my first post I cant access my "Saved Mail" which is part of personal messages and as you state has nothing to do with emails. Jo also cannot access her saved messages either. Jeff

It would be nice to see the site documentation completed, and reflecting exactly the way this board has been set up. It is incomplete at the moment, and a review would be a good idea. The common bugs could also be highlighted in an easier to notice way.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems indeed that the Savebox in the private messages part doesn't work. I'll look into it or will see if it still exists in a newer version of the board software, whatever comes first. For now, simply don't use the option to save a message and keep it in your inbox.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Well, if someone wants to edit and verify, then I'm happy to write some documentation for everyone to use. Well, if that's good with everyone, obviously.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I'm fine with that! What confuses me though is this:

Whenever there's a problem with the board, or an idea someone wants to put forward, it should be posted in the "Requests/Proposals" section, and NOT the Rant forum... the rant forum is best left for fashion rants, as this is what the board is primarily about. There's already been at least 1 topic moved because of this reason. I know I'm not a moderator or admin, but at least try and keep the board tidy and organised people. Makes for a more enjoyable read!

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Hi Sh Yes I am one of the guilty ones, I admit that. My excuse is that I started off to write a rant about not knowing how to do certain things on the board as others could because I could find no intsructions on how to, and it turned into a suggestion and request for info. I have even thought a couple of times to ask if this (How To) could or should be transferred to the requests area. And I agrre with you we all try to keep the board as clean as possible, it would make the job of our moderators that much easier I am sure. So sorry to one and all. Regards Jeff

Ironically the last post came across as a bit of a rant! It wasn't meant to... But I believe in keeping things tidy and proper! Except perhaps for the heel of my jeans... they just get ripped to shreds...! I'm not having a go at anyone... it's just something to remember for the future! I can see where you're coming from Jeff... I've gone on rants at technical stuff before (or in you case, the lack of documentation for technical stuff!) SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!