My new boots for winter

Since we are planning on having a bad winter this year with lots of snow and ice, I figured it was time to get some new high heel boots with some grip on the bottoms so I ended up finding these.

They are combat boot inspired with a 4 inch stacked heel. They cost me $180. Im not crazy about the buckle on the front though. Wish I could have found at least 5" heel ones but no luck.

http://www.zappos.com/images/745/7455522/10757-724850-p.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/images/745/7455522/10757-724850-3.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/images/745/7455522/10757-724850-6.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/images/745/7455522/10757-724850-4.jpg

Do you have a link to the zappos page, I'm curious to see all the details on it.

The buckle at the top of the shoe is probably okay (likely concealed under whatever pants you wear). The one by the toes, yeah, that looks stupid (what does it think it's strapping down?!). Since the strap w/ buckle is sewn in, might it not be possible to just cut it right along the platform? If you don't want to try it, I'd think a shoe repair store could do it.

Speaking of Zappos, for as many shoes as they seem to carry, they don't carry all variations of shoes. For example, the Jessica Bennett Jury ankle boot I just ordered, zappos only shows in brown and camel, up to size 12. Yet go elsewhere (endless.com, even amazon.com), and you'll find it in black and size 13. It was browsing on one of those shoe-selection websites (ones where they shoe pictures of each show while you search) where I stumbled across them.

yes they are, like I said, wish i could find a pair like them with 5 inch heels but cant...

highheeltrained, take a look at my thread http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/12457-buying_first_expensive_pair_shoes_-_jessica_bennett_jury_boot.html

What are you thoughts on these? I just got them, and without giving too much away (I want to update the thread with a full description), the heel height is incredbible: 4 3/4" at the rear; at centerline of the heel (what I think is used for the advertised height), 4 1/2". Where zappos or JB is getting 3.xx inches, I have no idea. The treaded platform is only 3/8", so you're getting a full 4"+ heel rise.

If you are planning on wearing your boots mostly concealed, then I think these could be good for you. It's a tossup: your Guess boots, with it's combat look, is more unisex looking, except for maybe that strap and buckle across the toe (maybe removable w/ some work). With the JB Jury boots, their straps & buckles can't be removed, but it's higher up the shoe, so they might not be seen. In full view though, with the straps and overlapping leather pieces, I don't think anyone would say the JB boot could be a man's boot.

What is the actual heel height on your Guess boots? One of the comments on the zappos site said they thought the heel height was more than 4".

For your desired ' 5" ', are you looking for that to be heel height, or effective heel rise? If you are looking for an ankle boot with a thicker (chunk) heel, even if you find one with a true 5" heel, I'm thinking it's more likely to have a higher platform sole. Even if it's kept down to maybe 3/4", the effective rise is still about the same as these. These Guess boots appear to have a thicker sole than mine (I'd say 1/2"+, vs 3/8" on the JB's), so you are loosing some rise there.

Are you definitely keeping these boots, or are they still unworn where you can return them (keeping you still in the market for a new pair)?

yes they are, like I said, wish i could find a pair like them with 5 inch heels but cant. these were the tallest I could find. hopefully I can add some rubber to the bottom of the heel to give it a few more centimeters.

Not to crazy about the style and they dont look like 4 inch heels.

I wanted some boots that were more male looking then female but with a heel. and yeah I want one with a 5 inch rise like shoes with 5 inch heels and no platform at all, that kind of heel arch but yeah, the higher the heel, the higher the platform it seems which sucks.

I havn't gotten the boots yet, they will be here tuesday. If they are to low, then i may return them.

When you're looking for boots with 4"+ thicker heels, and more unisex-looking shows, the selection probably won't be that large. [Factor in needing a size 13, like I do, and the selection is even smaller.] For the intended audience (women), some of the extra features would probably look cute. I'm not looking for a unique pair of shoes, or something that grabs attention, but rather the opposite - discretion. What's tough is to know when to 'settle' for a less than ideal pair of shoes/boots, vs when to hold out that something better will come along. I'm not in love with either the look or the price the the JB Jury ankle boots, but I can't say I'll be able to find something that fits with a 4 1/2" heel. At least one good thing about ordering from zappos.com or endless.com is that you return then up to a year later (assuming you have the patience to keep them in the box and not wear them!).

those boots arn't a 4 inch heel. All other sites say they are more like 3 1/2 which they look it. anyways I got my boots today. they are pretty good and they will let me add a few more centimeters of rubber to the buttom of the heel to make it an even 4 inch heel arch with out any problems and the buckle strap on the front will easily come off with out damaging the boots. though not worth $180 though

...though not worth $180 though

Since you ordered them from zappos, you have a year to return them. If you watch and see them for a lower price in the future, you could order a new pair at the lower price, then return them with the old receipt for the $180 price paid. I think zappos might even pay for the return shipping. [For comparison, the Jessica Bennett boots I just bought, alos $180 regular price, dropped over $50 with a recent 30% off sale.] They might also offer a price-protection policy (refund if the price goes down), which would be easier.

If you paid full price, I'd expect there to be another decent sale before the end of the year (either before Christmas, or a post-Christmas sale to clear out some inventory). I know zappos has a way to create an email alert if an unavailable size comes into stock, but I don't know if there's a way to be notified if the price changes.

I'll be curious to see the boots after your modifications. If you are going to try the strap removal yourself, maybe after you do the first shoe, you can take place the modified and unmodified shoes side by side, and take some pictures of them. It will be interesting to see what the change looks like. Are you removing both straps or just the one over the toes?

if I wanted for a lower price, then I wouldn't get to wear them so would be no point. and yes I removed only the straps across the toes on each of them and it worked out good. cant even tell they were there and they look alot better with out the straps. but these boots are very stiff and hard. You'd think they were cheapy made boots. I find the really cheaply made fetish heels to be more comfortable then these but I guess they just need breaking in some. Im also able to had enough rubber on the heel to give me a 4 and 1/3 inch heel arch. making the heel 5 inchs

Yeah the toe straps need to go! Glad you got rid of them. Maybe you can take a picture or two from the front as well. What was the original heel & platform height? If you add heel height, doesn't that throw the angle of the shoe a little more forward? My plan would have you wear this pair now. If you see them for less in the future, order a new pair (say @ $130), then return them on the old receipt (for $180 credit). I'm not sure I'd bother for a $10 or so discount, but if it's a 25%-30% off sale, that's a nice amount of money. A question for anyone - in terms if this coming off as a more rugged, unisex looking boot, do you think the thicker platform helps or hurts that look? And how would you compare that with a thinner, but treaded-looking sole of the boot in my thread?

the heels were originally a little over 4 inchs. I got them up to about 5 inchs now. yeah it puts them forward some but since the toe was curved up so, it just makes them more flat to the ground so its not thrown off much and still makes it easy to walk in. Almost like wearing a 6 inch heel but with more stability. I mostly went with these boots because its winter and we tend to get lots of snow and bad weather and stilettos are not good in this type of weather. Plus I notice that I do tend to get fewer looks when wearing these.

That's more like it! Definitely much better without the toe strap. Are you keeping the upper strap, or removing that also? If you can, post some pictures after you do you heel modification (including maybe a shot looking head on, and from the rear). This style is starting to grow on me. I did a side by side look of you recent picture compared to the same angle shot from the zappos site. Between the toe area being larger, also lying flatter (vs curling up a little), and the heel arch not looking as extreme (I know, not what you wanted!), to me they don't look as feminine, much more unisex appearing (that is, until the full heel heigh is seen!). I don't know if it's reflective of supply or demand, but while zappos has them in stock for sizes 5.5 thru 9 (full & half sizes), they show no availability in anything larger. Someone likes them!

That's more like it! Definitely much better without the toe strap. Are you keeping the upper strap, or removing that also?

If you can, post some pictures after you do you heel modification (including maybe a shot looking head on, and from the rear).

This style is starting to grow on me. I did a side by side look of you recent picture compared to the same angle shot from the zappos site. Between the toe area being larger, also lying flatter (vs curling up a little), and the heel arch not looking as extreme (I know, not what you wanted!), to me they don't look as feminine, much more unisex appearing (that is, until the full heel heigh is seen!). I don't know if it's reflective of supply or demand, but while zappos has them in stock for sizes 5.5 thru 9 (full & half sizes), they show no availability in anything larger. Someone likes them!

yeah I think they look less extreme because of the slightly different angle of the picture taken. but in real life, they look taller then the pics show and they feel taller then what they look but still making them taller.