Learning to walk in high heels

imrogers

Hi, I'm fairly new to wearing high heels. Wear a 2 inch block heel almost all the time but have recently brought a new pair of heels with a block heel of 4 1/2 inch. I read somewhere that when you are learning to walking in high heels you should wear stilettos before block heels to get use to balancing on the heel. Do you agree or have any other suggestions on how to adapt to wearing high heels.

replies will range from different experiences starting with stilettos would help you to learn balance while block heels will allow you to walk in them fairly quickly . I personally would say go with the blocks and then go to stilettos

I mostly agree, only if you have to walk much on inclined sidewalks can stilettos be beneficial, you'll risk turning your ankles more on blocks in that case.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

For fast learning, I'd say that you should go for block heels first, as they "only" forces you to learn a new posture and "general" type of taking steps. Stilettoes which give no "real" support in "any direction" are by nature more difficult to handle as you not only have to coordinate the heel height but also lack the sideways support a wider heel still would give you at the same time. This is (probably) the reason that stilettoes are most highly regarded (?) as they require more skill to wear in an appealing way. -Think of it like learning to use a bicycle with "supporting wheels(?)" as a kid. TallSwede

Just pick one of ether stile to start off with. Each will have it's own benefits when starting out. Blocks will help you develop flexibility to walk in high heels but keep you stable. Since blocks are more ridged your foot is not working as hard to keep it's self stable and up right. But stilettos will develop the need flexibility and strength for your foot at the same time. I think the key is not what type of heel it is, it's the height of the heel. Start with something like a 2" heel, and then work your way up over a period of time.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I would recommend to get something a little bit higher to wear around the house, and wear the slightly lower block heels when you go out; in which case you could have stilettos for indoor use if you wanted to.

Actually a 2-inch stiletto heel is quite a challenge for a novice and often more difficult to hanle as a 4-inch one. On the higher heel, more pressure is automatically applied over the large base of the ball of the foot which helps lateral stability. A low stiletto favours you to have the maximum pressure on the highly unstable narrow heel, thus forcing you to exercise much more lateral control over your ankles. Once that is mastered and reactions to unwanted sideways excursions becomes natural you will be able to wear higher heels of any type under full control. The high block heel "seems easy and stable" but unless your ankles react swiftly and controlled at the least feel of sideway tilt, you risk twisting an ankle badly because once out of control, the imposed angles and strains on the ligaments are much greater. Good luck

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Thank's everyone. I think I am going to buy a pair of stiletto's. I've seen a pair in Argos, UK Size 9 Kit with a 3 inch heel. When i'm not wearing my 2 inch block heel boots I will alternate between my 4 1/2 inch block and the 3 inch stiletto heels Any female points of view?

• 1 month later...

Hi, This is my first post to this board. I've had a lot of practice wearing high heels. I lived with an aunt as a small boy and I believe that's where I picked up my shoe fetish. I slept in the spare room where she kept her shoes and other clothes. She didn't mind when I wore her spike-heeled pumps around the house. I was able to fit into women's dress boots until my early 30s. I am now in my 40s and my feet are too wide for any of the off-the-shelf women's footwear. Over the last year I have been wearing size 14 leather crotch boots armed with spike heels that measure nearly 6 inches in height. It had been several years since I had worn any high heels (certainly none THAT high) but I suppose one never loses that ability. I am able to walk around the house quite well in my boots, although I sit down as much as possible to save my floors. I agree that the side-to-side motion can be difficult to control, particularly when suddenly rising from a chair unsupported. It probably also has something to do with having good overall muscle tone as well. I am not a fitness expert but it seems that my skill in wearing high heels improved after I had begun walking 4 miles a day for exercise. Michael

Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to the board. I think it's like riding a bike. You don't forget once you have learned. The only thing that suffers is your endurance to wear heels for loner period, and that needs to be built up by regular wear. To be honest, it's not that difficult to wear up to about 4 inch heels but the ones higher than that take more technique and more endurance.

I was tempted to create a new thread about this, but saw this one and didn't see the point....

What's the proper way to walk in heels? I'm sure most girls and guys who wear heels don't walk properly... I'm not too bothered about it, I manage to get from A-B, but I'm sure I don't walk properly.... So how do you walk properly in them?

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

The website that Michael mentioned is Italian, and named "Tacchi a Spillo". Parts of it have (fortunately) been translated into English. (if you should use Babelfish: it gives some funny translations like "pin heels" :wink: ) It actually was an example for Jenny in setting up that part of her own website, that dealt with wearing high heels properly.

Said part of Jenny's website can be found directly at http://193.251.60.36/Jenny/wearing.htm

(yes SH: classic1 again :D )

• 4 months later...

I started with basic toe walking as a prelude to my first high heels. I did it as part of dance classes and private posing of my legs and feet in the mirror. That helped give my ankle and achilles tendons more strength and taut feeling for comfortable walking AND sexier feel. I never tried block heels and went straight for the spike heels. Just turned me on more I guess.

All this stuff about LEARNING just p's me off! What's the big deal? For Christ's sake, just get your high heels (making sure they fit) and DO it! And keep on DOING it! Now I'm a bloke with very muscular, stocky unsupple limbs and joints where any keep-fit (and especially yoga) exercises are concerned, and yet I just got going street-heeling (2" right up to 5 1/2") with none of this nonsense about learning to balance etc. and without my knees sticking forward. If I can do it, and adapt my ankle-angle downwards etc. then anyone can! Again, look at that recently reported and photographed guy's charity-walk-in-high stilettos where dozens of guys took part and very successfully managed the entire walk, virtually all of them presumable just going from nothing into 4"+ stilettos. Nothing was said about any high-faluting training programme beforehand! Same with the thousands of teenage girls that are currently flocking into the shoeshops to buy their stilettos of all heights. They enter the shop, buy the heels and start wearing them - simple as that! they're only shoes for Christ's sake, not rocket science! The only rider to that is that some girls are unprepared for the burning pressure on the balls of their feet after the first two hours and promptly give-up on heels without getting spongy insoles or realising that their feet will harden-up and adapt to the pressure after a few regular wearings, but that's nothing to do with learning to walk in them. The reason I get so infuriated by all this 'Learning' crap (and as many of you will know, I'm normally such a very cheerful chappie) is that such silly talk is bound to put-off all the would-be guys and gals from venturing into heel-wearing to start with. Anyone reading all that 'Learning' rubbish could be forgiven for thinking that the whole thing would be an impossibly uphill struggle and give up before they've even tried it! Come on all you wimps, abandon all your feeble wimperings, think positive, and portray to all the new and budding young viewers to this forum that its easy, it's fun, it's great and it's UTTERLY FANTASTIC!!! Onwards and Upwards!, From an uncharacteristically p'd off Heelfan.

Onwards and upwards!

Naaaaaaaaahh....You just let your self walk in to that one!!! :D

What i ment was the pain in the balls of my TOES .

Damn, you ppl are more perverted than i initially thought. :wink:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Oh no :rofl: I think you stepped over the mark with that one Hoverfly :lol: !!!

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Hey Julietta - your secondary avatar picture suits your "Roll On the Floor Laughing" emoticon! PS Julietta: Is is too much to hope for the that the meet-group (Firefox, Xaphod, Calv, me etc.) could expect you to accompany YamYam if he is able to attend the Birmingham Heel-Meet in November 2003? Cheerfully Yours, Heelsfan.

Onwards and upwards!

Heelsfan Hi, I'd like to meet you all :lol: but for me, I think, the London meet would be better and as Yam travels down this way quite a lot :lol: maybe it would be cool for him too but he'd have to answer that one for himself. :lol: J x

Let calm be widespread

I'm sure nicjasno will learn to take in his stride.

(Do we need another puns thread?)

Well I don't know Yam we don't want to run before we can walk here now do we?

Let calm be widespread

Heelsfan Hi,

I'd like to meet you all :lol: but for me, I think, the London meet would be better and as Yam travels down this way quite a lot :lol: maybe it would be cool for him too but he'd have to answer that one for himself.

:lol: J x

It's true, London would be easier for me. It's just because of making arrangements to get our children looked after for the day.

(Julietta - you've noticed I seem to be down your way a lot, have you? I wonder why that could be? :cry: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"