UK shops?

sexshoe

Depending on size...

Alternative Footwear in Ramsbottom (north of Manchester) - http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk - 4" is about the lowest you'll see there. Dead friendly, down-to-earth bunch, and the fact that they stock heels from a UK 3 up to UK 14 will tell you something about their clientele :-).

Magnus Shoes - Northants and two stores in London. http://www.magnusshoes.com. Fewer "high" heels, but eminently wearable - I frequently wear their flats into work. To my knowledge, nobody has noticed. I used their store on Chiltern Street in London. Nobody was in the slightest bit surprised or worried.

Evans! Pick a quiet time if you're nervous, as some of the other customers can look at you a bit odd, but the shop assistants (in Manchester and the Trafford Centre at least) are utterly unfazed by me going in and asking to try on a boot in a size 10.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

All of these different places where you can buy shoes but I haven't seen a reference to Peachy's shoe store in a long, long time. Is she even still in business?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I saw a reference a month or so ago and, yes, she appeared to be at that time. It's unfortunate the shop doesn't have a web site, as it's pretty hard to point forum visitors to it. Let's see... (brief pause for a Yell search)... yep, current Yell listing is: Peachy Shoes 10, Perry Rd, Bristol, Avon BS1 5BG Tel: 0117 330 9090 (Peachy - if you're reading, I'm happy to host such a site on my tame server)

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Magnus Shoes - Northants and two stores in London. http://www.magnusshoes.co.uk from memory. Fewer "high" heels, but eminently wearable - I frequently wear their flats into work. To my knowledge, nobody has noticed. I used their store on Chiltern Street in London. Nobody was in the slightest bit surprised or worried.

Think this is the website you meant to put up?

http://www.magnusshoes.com/scripts/default.asp

My recommendations ......

ANY House of Fraser store.

Larger Debenhams.

John Lewis seem quite good too.

If you travel to Northampton , while this shop is quite small, I can STRONGLY recommend it.

http://www.desire-northampton.co.uk/index.asp

I've had good luck anywhere I've tried really, except one shop in of all places, Camden. [East European girl assistant there, completely disinterested.]

I've done everywhere, including essentially a market stall run by an elderly Asian lady, who even got a pair in for me in the size I wanted. [bless her. :cool:]

Aldo staff at Lakeside seemed a bit phased at first, but then were quite disappointed I didn't buy. (So was I, but they just didn't fit that well, despite looking really good.)

Personal visits can be a bit daunting until you get used to them. :wink: But that's part of 'the rush' I think. Now (older and wiser), I tend to buy in larger stores and make use of their 28/30 day returns policy. I don't often try on the shoes or boots until I get home, and I get the chance of trying them at my leisure. Easiest if you don't have to travel 50 miles to a shop. [Though 20 miles isn't unusual for me.]

Debenhams have a sale on for the next 3 or so days. I shall be at the Debenhams Oxford Street store this Thursday evening. [And while I'm there, I'll be going into House of Fraser.] I'll be with my walking out girl-friend, and you are welcome to join us. It's a bit of a journey, so I doubt you'll make it, but the offer is there. :cup:

Milton Keynes Debenhams is closer for you of course. I've been there wearing heels, and had no problems at all. In fact you can park right outside their entrance doors. It's Pay and Display though, don't get caught without some change in your pocket (like me) and have to park somewhere else first. :D That was interesting, walking around the market in bright daylight wearing heels..... :-? That certainly got the adrenaline running. :roll: I don't usually walk out in heels around places I don't know that well.... And especially don't usually walk around streets in heels during daylight hours!

All went well though. :wink:

Good luck shopping. :o

Any shoe shop you care to go into. Many of the larger chains have a gender policy that means that the staff have to treat every customer with the same courtesy and respect regardless of gender and what they want to try on. All it takes is nerve. I have never been into a shoe shop yet where I have not been welcome to try shoes on... in may cases the assistant assumes that they're for me anyway...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dune and Faith are two of my favourites. Aldo are good, as are Schuh and Shelley's, but I think the latter have been taken over. If you're not yet up to asking an assistant for a pair of stilettoes to try, New Look and some others like them have pairs of shoes of the rack so you can take and try them as you please. Oh I nearly forgot, charity shops are great for trying on heels :roll:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave: