yay :) cool shopping experience!

squirrelheels

Well, contrary to what I said in my first post, I went shopping this afternoon on my afternoon off from college.

Me and my friend came back to my house very briefly for me to change into my 5in heels. We then promptly left again, with me 5in taller than before, which annoyed her! Having gone back into town we wandered around Stead and Simpson, Barratts and Jonathan James, found some suitable stuff for me, but no decent wedges, so we continued through town and stopped for a Pizza Hut. I'm sure they guy who served us noticed my heels, but if he did he didn't say anything. Being 4pm it was relatively quiet, so no stares from anyone else.

After the food break we went next door into Schuh. This was fun :lol: I spotted my Nelly Loafers on the wall, got them down, and asked at the counter to try them in my size. The girl at the counter passed the buck to some one else who looked relatively new to the job and a little bit sheepish. Being the helpful shop assistant she got the shoes and handed them to me to try on. At this I sat down, took of my 5in loafers and tried on these nice wedges. She looked rather scared at this point, so as not to make her endure any more mental damage I took them off, declared them suitable for purchase, and donned my 5in loafers again. I took them to the same girl at the counter, and she didn't seem to be at all phased by the fact it was a guy buying these heels. Judging by the lips rings I figured she's probably used to more extreme fashion than the other girl, and she happily put them through the till and handed them to me in a bag. I found my friend trying on some massive pink platform boots, which she says she will purchase at a later date... :( They're very cool and can probably be found on the http://www.schuhstore.co.uk

Leaving Schuh, still wearing my 5in heels, we wandered up to http://www.void-clothing.co.uk, a gothic/punk/greb/kinky shop, where I've been before to try some of the thigh boots on. We picked out some clear platformed 7in slides, 4in stiletto pumps, some 4in thigh boots, and a VERY nice leather knee-length skirt with about 5 buckles across the front. I went with my friend into the changing room to try these things on... the pumps were nice, but my feet can't handle the pointy toes, and the changing rooms leave no space to walk! The slides were nice, but were too small really. The thigh boots (which incidentally I've tried once before on my own) went on with the leather skirt, and boy was that fun! Inspite of a lack of tights (pantyhose for you pedantic Americans) it still looked great. My friend went to pick out a bodice, but the one she chose was too small... I changed into my new wedges, said thanks and left... Next weekend we're planning to go back, and buy the thigh boots, skirt and an appropriate top, go back to my friend's house and have some fun! We will return the items at a later date, but she'll buy me some nice knee-length boots similar in style to my 5in loafers for my birthday, so I'm looking forward to that :) More heels :o

We then went to meet up with another college (male) friend, who'd been on a trip to Cambridge. He looked at my shoes, noticing they're different from my normal DC skating shoes, but made no comment whatsoever. We then went to a pub, had a few drinks, and I came home on the bus...

I'm currently wearing my wedge heels at home. My dad didn't notice, which was good. I'm sure some people on the bus noticed, but I doubt they either gave a damn or had the nerve to say anything. My jeans do a sufficient job of hiding them anyway, and as my friend pointed out to me, nobody really notices shoes unless they're designed to grab attention (eg bright red patent thigh boots with stiletto heels), and it's just me who notices shoes because I like them so much. In my experience so far, this is very true, and I would encourage anyone planning on coming out to do so. You'll enjoy it so much! I certainly did :lol:

If you're looking for somewhere friendly to buy heels, have a look around the back streets for gothic shops. They're used to people with unusual taste and they won't ask questions or give dodgy looks. Stead and Simpson aren't great. I've been laughed at by the staff there before for trying on heels, but they're shoes are great, and they're cheap as well. Schuh is cool, but perhaps the "women's" shoes are a bit more fashionable and a bit less guy-friendly than other places, like Stead and Simpson or Barratts. But my wedges are great, and nobody notices them! If your a student in the UK, Schuh also give student discount upon presentation of an NUS card, so that made my heels 10% less from there, which was very cool :D

Anyway, I've had a great day, and next Saturday should be an even better day. My legs are tired now from all the walking, but other than that I'm cool :D I shall most likely be wearing my wedges into college on Monday, accompanied by some even longer jeans which I bought today with a view of heel-hiding. (I got them from H&M, great shop that!)

Like I say, if you're still wondering about going outside in heels, or shopping in real shops for them, go for it. Very few people care, notice or comment, and screw them if they do (unless it's a nice comment!)!!!

That's all for now!!

SH

Cripes.. that was a long post!

Edit: Changed HTML to UBC FF

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Nice experiences Two points 1. I've never been laughed at in any shoe store in the UK 2. Don't tar all Stead and Simpson with the same brush. There's a couple of staff at fault in one store who probably need correction or sacking. Staff are there to serve and 99.99% of them want to sell shoes to whoever.

FFox is correct (again :lol: !) - I've been in a couple of Stead & Simpsons, and they're generally OK. As for Schuh, I love 'em! I don't know about 'less guy-friendly styles', a couple of my fave pairs are from there. I was well seriously gutted that the Lakeside one wasn't open when I was there a couple of weeks ago - it's on the store directory :( The rest of Lakeside was quite nice, and I got a pair of great stiletto boots from Richport (also recommended). Oh, and while I'm on, gothic, punk, kinky, all fine. But what the heck is 'greb'?!? I know I'm a parent and all, but what's all that about?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

talking of Schuh.......there is one opening at Lakeside soon. Will have to be checked out once it opens!

Hoooooooray!!!!!! 'Bout time too!!!!!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

greb, grebo, greebo n. dirty, greasy haired, pos. dressed in dishevelled clothes, rocker-type person., pronounced gree-bo. Bands such as Zodiac Mindwarp and Pop Will Eat Itself were popular with grebo's Yes Schue is a must for lakeside, it will make it the shoe Mecca of the SE! They have some mini platform boots I quite like at the moment.

greb, grebo, greebo n. dirty, greasy haired, pos. dressed in dishevelled clothes, rocker-type person., pronounced gree-bo. Bands such as Zodiac Mindwarp and Pop Will Eat Itself were popular with grebo's

So, kind of like grunge but a bit more electronic?

(I'm sure I used to understand this stuff before I became a parent :lol: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Grebs are generally as Firefox descibed, but i'm referring mostly to the style of dressing rather than the taste in music. As it happens a lot of grebs listen to many different bands, not just the ones listed. There are various grades of greb, from wannabe to hardcore... but we won't go into that! SH

Hehe... I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many subtle differences and classifications that it's not worth bothering to try to understand. I have no clue as to what to classify myself... other than me. But that works, so I'm not complaining! SH

• 2 months later...

>> Stead and Simpson aren't great. I've been laughed at by the staff there before for trying on heels, but they're shoes are great, and they're cheap as well. <<

In the late 1980s Stead and Simpson and Faith seemed to be the shops with the highest heels if I recall. Wish I had the courage to go in and try stuff, way back then. I have had varying results, recently, with Stead and Simpson. One local branch is quite small, and busy, so there isn't a lot of room to try stuff on in a "quiet corner". They have some really high-heel ankle boots, in the sale, that I want to try sometime. The staff are quite young, and tend to keep a close eye on everyone in the shop. They give quizical looks when men start looking at the high heels section; I just wish that they would find something to be busy with elsewhere for a moment. Another local branch is a lot bigger, much quieter (but doesn't have so much stuff in their sales) and the staff in there are really helpful. They are all in their 30s or 40s and, I guess, have seen it all before. I asked them for help and recommendation, and they brought out 3 or 4 pairs to try, found a quiet corner towards the rear of the store, and had a laugh and a joke (even joked with a lady customer that they have men in "all the time" trying on heels [even though they told me earlier that it was quite rare]) while offering help and advice. They weren't at all phazed by it all, and didn't push for a sale, on something unsuitable, either.

My local S&S is generally not that exciting, but still quite friendly. But there's a branch of Faith opening in Merry Hill, opposite the bank! Darn my rotten luck to heck!

We have a Faith in the Victoria Centre (the larger of two shopping centres in Nottingham), and also a Faith department in Debenhams... We have practically everything in Nottingham, which I like, but Nottingham isn't overly large, which I like more! SH

I have no objections to that! Since I'm limited in how far I can travel it's perfect for me! I'd love to meet up with you guys, without having to travel anywhere... as my parents ask questions. Only downside is being spotted by people I know... which is perfectly possible. I know a lot of people who don't know about my heels... and Nottingham city centre isn't huge like London! SH

being spotted by people you know isn't a problem, it's the people you don't know that create problems. But sod them, you wear what you want and to hell with the small minded people who can't see past the ends of their noses. As for a hhmeet in Nottingham, I think that is a perfectly reaseonable venue.