boot stretching

saradd

hi everybody!! my second post on this forum :smile: i got a pair of leather boots, with an 3" block heel. The problem is, they are so tight around the topend of my foot, that i cant get the zipper closed at the bottom :s. the rest of my feet can quite easily fit in them, but i have "high" feet, so i got no luck :wave:. i tried the rest of the calf, they will fit in there, just as i can get this bottom part a little bigger. I need about half an inch (1,5cm) of extra space in there, and then i can get the zipper closed. Is this possible to perform? (they are stiff leather boots, dont know if they will stretch that much) thanks!!

It is quite hard to stretch the boot shaft, the only way i've been able to do it is by forcing them on a few times. A cobbler might be able to do it though and I gather that you can buy proper boot-stretchers (not those sprung loaded things the use to display them with). What I do is take them to my shoe maker and ask him to put in a wider zip leaving me more room.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Shoe-shops use a "shaft stretcher" to stretch the boot shaft -- these devices use a screw and a scissor mechanism to force two metal sides outward against the sides of the boot. You want to be careful with one of these, they can develop a lot of force inside the boot. For instance, wouldn't try it with a side-zip boot because it could easily tear the zipper loose or blow it out (rip the teeth apart). The good thing about these is you can increase the force gradually and leave them in for long periods of time, letting the material stretch at its own rate. They are kind of pricey but you can find them on eBay. Search for "boot shaft stretcher" and you will find them. Here's a picture of one of these dudes:

post-1455-133522849417_thumb.jpg

Have a happy time!