Did anybody feel the earth move?

Calv

Did anybody in the UK feel the earth tremor this morning? Sadly I didn't, too busy asleep, but according to the news the epicentre was in Dudley West Midlands and it could be felt right into Wales, Northern England. It's true then, not even an earthquake could wake me up :smile:

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Yup! Nearly fell out of bed. It scared the heck out of me, too! Apparently, people turned up at Dudley police station in their pyjamas, wondering what was going on. No damage at my place, although a couple of things fell off shelves.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Earthquakes must a rarity in England to have people showing up at the police station in pj's. I remember our honeymoon. Missy and I were in a parking lot filling up the car with gas. Missy was in the restroom. Right then it hit. Cars were rolling in the parking lot...swaying side to side. Our cars doors were open and both slammed shut. I was reading a map, leaniang up against a wall. The map was moving up, down, left right.....and here comes Missy. Running outta the bathroom, obviously buttoning up her pants. The look on her was face to die for. I just about died from laughing so hard. :smile:

you're right Postcode! Earthquakes are very rare in Britain! Wellm when I say rare I'm mean earthquakes of any great magnitude. This quake hit us just before 1am. The wife and I were playing on the playstation (crash team racing) when I felt a rumbling, I paused the game and the rumbling increased and the house shook, the bed rattled, the wife screamed "I don't like this! What is it?". I first thought that a wagon was going past either in front of my house or on the back street and ruled that out. Next I thought my central heating system was about to blow up, but it was switched off. Then I remembered the feeling was the same as the last large quake we had in 1991. The pattern fit. So I was telling people who emerged onto the street or were hanging from their windows crapping themselves that it was a quake. Most didn't believe me. "We don't get earthquakes in Britain", they cry. "oh, yes we do! There are fault lines all over the country!". "How far away was it?", was the next question. "about 50 to 70 miles I reckon". From here in Kettering to Dudley (the epicentre) it's 57 miles as the crow flies. The quake measured 4.8 on the Richter scale according the intial reports. Needless to say, the atmosphere around town today was on the weird side as it was obvious that lots of people were freaked out by it all. Never mind, at least those people who were enjoying an intimate moment can claim that the earth did move for them :rofl:

Apparently it caused over £3 million worth of improvements. :grin:

It'd have been a lot more if it was nearer Walsall!

I don't think I remember a 1991 earthquake, and I'd have been a student at the time. Oh. Actually, I don't think I remember 1991 :smile:

Dudley is less than 30 miles from me, so my area did some serious rocking and rolling, apparently!

And it's been a long time since the earth moved in my house :grin:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Having talked to my friends at the pub quiz tonight it seems I was the only person in our group to sleep through it. The best comment I heard today was from the local zoo where it seems the monkeys were scared and one ape in particular wouldn't come down from the top of its cage. There was also a large amount of comment on news programmes today from various people who wouldn't seem out of place in the monkey house :smile:

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I believe the amount of weird people could have been attributed to the full moon! :grin: Why is it that only the weird people get interviewed for these things? or is it over-dramatise it? Oh no, national outcry! Earthquake in Britain! The world is coming to an end! The aliens have arrived! Save yourselves! Hurry up pub, open the doors! okay, so the last one I made up, buif the world was coming to an end, that's where I'd be! Getting inebriated! Plenty of liquid tranquilisers for me :grin: But it didn't! Huh! People! One little shake and they running! :grin: Having been closer to the last one, which was stronger, I wasn't too fussed about it. Worried during the quake, wondering if it was likely to be a big one, but no! Just a little one! Significant for this country, but still just a little one! Had I been asleep, I would have slept through it! Like Calv, once asleep, a nuclear bomb going off down our earholes wouldn't wake us! :smile:

Actually, that one we were in wasen't all that little. It's epicenter was about 300 miles away, or something like that, from us yet was enough to literally lift cars off the ground as it rolled along. Pretty good one. The people up in the Seattle/Tacoma area were picking up the pieces for a few days afterwards.