Any advice on Career shoes?

SaraThompson

Hello,

My name is Sarah, and I'm new to this forum. I posted a plea for help on the "welcome" page and one of the other users suggested that I post this here on the "girls" page.

I'm looking for advice from any of you about what types of heels are appropriate for the office? I work in a corporate setting, in healthcare, and I am just starting my career and want to build a shoe wardrobe that would be good for the office/professional life. I already have about 30 pairs of heels, some I think are good for work, but most I don't think so. I'd post tsome pictures here so you could give me your opinion but I don't know how!?

What conveys "professional" but still trendy and cool?? I want to buy wedge heels, stilettos, stacked wooden heels, patent, strappy open toe sandals, pointy toe slingbacks - anything that is a heel but still acceptable! 4" mostly.

Some of the women at the office are more conservative so they were no help at all. I LOVE sexy flirty heels but my career is important to me, so please please please any and all "shoe lovahs" as we say here in Boston - hee hee - advise me!

Bye bye and thank you in advance!

~Sara

To post pictures you need to goto a posting type site like Flicker or there are a few others . Then you download the pictures from your pc then post the picture url adress to a normal message . It is pretty painless . Let me know if you need help hun .

Hi "It Tried". I could def use the help posting pix!! I'm not sure at ALL how to do this, what you talk about. Sorry for being so clueless! LOL. "Highheelsgirl"...totally agree with you on the chunky heels. Not my fav anyway. :smile: I'm just so trying to balance flirty heels with professionalism...AND worky w/ going out afterwards! I like a nice heel for after work but don't want to always have to worry about carrying multiple pairs to the office. Fun problem to have, huh??! :wavey: ~Sarah

Heeey, Sandie, :wavey: I can get to and from the office ok enuff on normal work days...I can wear conservative 4" pumps, let's say, and just wear them all day long and go home with them on. That's no prob. Problem is if I'm going out after work...I'll want to take the same worky outfit (pants, skirt, not a biz suit) and spice it up with a different pair of shoes - more flirty/sexy/trendy heels, ya know?? So now I have to carry both to the office, which stinks b/c I take the train often. I dunno, I think I'll just have to "deal", or try to find those trendy/flirty heels that also work at the office, ya know? Compromise is SUCH an ugly word tho! :smile: I dunno.....I guess I'm looking for ideas that are the perfect balance - professional and clubby!! hahaha....Never happen, right?? Luv, ~ST

Hey girls, I guess I haven't thought much of wearing 5" heels to the office, I dunno I thought 4" was pushing the limits of professionalism, ya know? Does anyone ever comment to you that 5" is "unprofessional"? I've worn 3" for the past 5-6 years alot, phased out my flats with those. Now over the past year or two I've switched it up to both 3" and 4"...slings, ankle straps, pumps, mostly. Very few slides I'd break an ankle in 4" slides methinks! lol...and moving to 5" for ALL DAY scares me!!!! It seems like only 1" - but I sure can feel it! (I only have one pair of 5" now...) So any experience/tips on making the move would be lovely! hugs, Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Sara I wear heels all the time to work so I might be able to offer some advice on this one! Go no higher than 4" heels, boring I know but there is a comfort factor involved in this as well, ( and yes I can wear 5" heels )as people tend to look at the shoes first, I know, I tried it. Also stick to plain but smart shoes in black, blue etc with maybe a bow or buckle but nothing else because you'll draw unwanted attention to yourself and when your just starting it can be nerve racking. I also wear boots alot to work aswell, I love boots, with straight skirts, not too short though(again the attention thing) Use the same criteria for boots if you want to wear boots. Black is best though. I hope this helps, its abit conservative I know but when you start you don't want to cross any hidden "lines" and some offices have "sensibilities". anyway good luck with your career Sue XX

Hi Sara

I wear heels all the time to work so I might be able to offer some advice on this one!

Go no higher than 4" heels, boring I know but there is a comfort factor involved in this as well, ( and yes I can wear 5" heels )as people tend to look at the shoes first, I know, I tried it. Also stick to plain but smart shoes in black, blue etc with maybe a bow or buckle but nothing else because you'll draw unwanted attention to yourself and when your just starting it can be nerve racking.

I also wear boots alot to work aswell, I love boots, with straight skirts, not too short though(again the attention thing) Use the same criteria for boots if you want to wear boots. Black is best though.

I hope this helps, its abit conservative I know but when you start you don't want to cross any hidden "lines" and some offices have "sensibilities".

anyway good luck with your career

Sue XX

hi Sue

I agree with you a lot. I love wearing boots too.

Alicia

Boot me up, Boot me down