Heel Force Re-Visited

UnderHerHeel

After seeing some earlier posts on wood floor dents I thought I would take a stab at the issue. I took some measurements (obtained from wife's heels), and crunched the numbers through my handy dandy 'puter. Here is what I came up with. Scenario: Woman weight 100 pounds. She is standing back on the heels slightly so that the ball of the foot is off the surface. (Worst case!) Per Heel Force is: 2" square (chunky heel) force = 12.5 lbs sq in. 1" square force = 50.0 lbs sq in 3/8" round force = 477 lbs sq in 1/4" round force = 812 lbs sq in 1/8" round (Scream) force = 4,064 lbs sq in (You'll Scream under them!) Now when she is in motion the acceleration force can cause the effort to be multiplied up to 8 times. Which makes the Scream Heels in excess of 32,000 lbs sq in. WHEW! Talk about taking no prisoners! The other day the wife was vacuuming the carpet in her 3 1/2" heels. These are the one's with the 3/8" diameter. Watching her go back and forth I got an idea to test my calculations. I took a new #2 pencil and placed it under a heel. She came down on it, it popped out, and hit me! She thought it was the cord and continued. On my second try I had success. She came square down on it. I saw it sink into the carpet, and then there was a rather loud CRUNCH! One half popped out and the other was pinned until she jumped to see what it was. Her only concern was the waste of a perfectly good pencil. Now I really understand why wood floors can get screwed up so easily. What if the wearer is not 100 pounds, but somewhat heavier? Holes?

• 4 weeks later...

I have studied this in depth on my site (See : http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/personal_members_websites/8527-steelheel.html )

I am fascinated by the power of stilettos, not just at what they can do to the floor or surfaces they penetrate, but also because they have such a powerful influence on the wearer and observer.

Read it all on my site!

Steelheel