The incredible phoenix that is Edison Bros.

metalspikes

Perhaps you've never heard of them. I ran a search of hhplace and did not see their name mentioned anywhere. In the 1990's, they were one of the most powerful forces in the United States retail clothing industry. Edison Brothers Stores, Inc. was a holding company of a number of trendy yet budget-minded chain stores that could be found in nearly every significant mall and shopping center across the country, and in Mexico and Canada as well. Of course, we talophiles knew best their two shoe chains: Wild Pair, which was their premium chain, and Leeds (stores all located west of the Rocky Mountains) / Baker's (mostly east of said mountains), which was their budget chain.

Also in the 1990's they overextended themselves, and began to founder. In 1995, they declared bankruptcy, but by 1997 were able to reorganize, pull through it, and carry on. Those of us who liked the styles they offered hoped that they would become healthy once again.

By March of 1999 they were in the courts again, and things were looking grim, with 50/50 odds given that they would have to liquidate. They were doing just that soon enough after. Nearly all their Wild Pair stores were closed, and the stock from those flooded the eBay listings, where it was quickly snapped up. All the Leeds stores in my area also disappeared. An eBay seller who seemed to know considerable detail about the bankruptcy proceedings agreed with me that it was all over for the Edison Bros. Stores.

They were my main source for beautiful heels at prices I could afford (though I frequently needed to wait for many of them to go on close-out). Soon thereafter, I had turned to the online shops, where I found beautiful heels in quality Italian and Spanish leathers at prices I could afford. My days of haunting the malls and stalking the heels like they were prey were pretty much over, but I had great memories of the finds, and of the sales staff who were frequently very helpful. It was at a Leeds where I saw (and immediately purchased, of course :smile:) my very first pair of metal spike heels. I recall driving long distances to keep an eye on one of the "premier" Leeds stores, which got in styles unavailable in their "ordinary" stores. I had fun shopping for a dress to match the royal blue satin and silver metal spiked courts I found there, the results of which you may see in my avatar.

I recalled reading that Edison Bros. had some bidders lined up, eager to buy up some of their store chains. Baker's turned out to be one of them, but I paid no attention because there were no Baker's shops anywhere near here, and besides, they had carried mostly shoes made of plastics (faux leather and such), which I had found actually decomposes after a few years. What I really missed was Wild Pair, and it seemed certain that they were not coming back.

However, I did hear occasional "noises" concerning Baker's continued existence, and just this evening "heard" one more, which tipped the balance and broke through my curiosity threshold. Sure enough, they have an online presence, as many of you well know. But what really took me by surprise and caught my attention was seeing the old familiar Wild Pair logo among the offerings in their designer collections, with styling and apparent quality in the tradition of the former chain. So I did some research, and was startled and amused to discover that a decendant of the Edison family bought Baker's. Like a phoenix they rose again, this time in the next generation.

Finally, to come full circle, I checked the store finder on the Baker's website, and found one located in the very same local mall where Leeds and Wild Pair used to be. I will certainly be trekking down there tomorrow, when I fully expect to find them occupying the same space where Wild Pair used to be. Just for a lark, I am very tempted to walk in wearing one of the Wild Pair (with metal spike heels, of course) that I bought so many years ago.

Molly

Thanks for the information. Wild Pair. My all time favorites. I still have four or five pair of their classic pumps in my collection that I purchased back in the late 70's. Black, white & red. Happy to learn Wild Pair might be resurrected.

Thanks for the information. Wild Pair. My all time favorites. I still have four or five pair of their classic pumps in my collection that I purchased back in the late 70's.

As do I, plus a pair of very soft leather thigh-high boots. Many of them, as well as the ones from Leeds/Baker's, are armed with the metal spike heels that I love so well.

Happy to learn Wild Pair might be resurrected.

It appears that Wild Pair has been resurrected (at least for now) as a brand name under Baker's, just as Edison Bros. Stores has been resurrected as a division of Weiss & Neuman Shoe Co.

Molly

Very interesting and brought back memories. I too used to prowl their stores looking for bargains for my size 9 wife. Unfortunately none fit my size 11 foot but the clerks understood my fetish for heels and were very helpful. Wonderful leather shoes and boots with 5"+ heels. Many had metal heel tips and then they had the first total metal spikes. They supplemented my metal heel plate fetish. My wife died 4 years ago but i have the memories and i thank you for rekindling them.

Now I know where Baker's came from. There are quite alot of Bakers shoe stores in Ohio and I love shopping there. The women are always more than happy to make me feel at home.

real men wear heels

I lived in Santa Monica in the late 1950s/early 1960s. There were C.H. Baker shoe stores which had sexy high heels. Was that the same as Baker's or different? I had a girl friend whose father was in the shoe business, and she wore very high heels (she was 5' 10" barefoot), and Spring-O-Lators barefoot, as did many of the young girls where I worked. Unfortunately, sizes tended to max out around 9 or 10, too small for my 11 mens feet, though I did acquire a pair of orange stiletto mules which were much too small.

Very interesting and brought back memories. I too used to prowl their stores looking for bargains for my size 9 wife. Unfortunately none fit my size 11 foot but the clerks understood my fetish for heels and were very helpful. Wonderful leather shoes and boots with 5"+ heels. Many had metal heel tips and then they had the first total metal spikes...

Welcome to the forum, Magnellia. :smile::wavey:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

and then they had the first total metal spikes.

Darn it, I seem to have missed those.:smile:

My wife died 4 years ago but i have the memories and i thank you for rekindling them.

I am so sorry for your loss:cry1:, I'm glad that I was able to bring pleasant memories back for you.

Thanks for the information. Wild Pair. My all time favorites. I still have four or five pair of their classic pumps in my collection that I purchased back in the late 70's. Black, white & red. Happy to learn Wild Pair might be resurrected.

I just discovered that they have. While looking for a retail location where I might be able to see some boots on the Baker's web catalog, I widened the search radius in their store locater and found several in my area. The Baker's web catalog rep told me that the boots I want, being that they are Wild Pair branded, will be available at a Wild Pair store. It appears to be as it was before under Edison Bros., with Baker's being the "budget" chain, and Wild Pair the premium one. I will be off to check out the brown animal print Daring boots this morning when the stores open.