Any tips for a heeled trip?

Heelson

I've been getting more adventurous going out in heels, to the stage where I've now persuaded my wife to come out with me. Any tips from anyone on the following plan would be appreciated ... We're planning a trip into London to see a show, get a meal etc. I'm going to be in heels for most of the trip, ie leaving the hotel, walking to the theatre (planning on staying in the centre so maybe only a 2mile walk), on to the restaurant, maybe a pub or two on the walk back to the hotel ... So I'm thinking probably 5miles in heels, and a good few hours. I'm planning on wearing 4" heeled boots, semi-blade style, right size (9). Any tips on what I should wear inside to protect against blisters & sore feet ... long jeans to cover as much of the heel as poss? same colour jeans to blend into the boots? any tips for walking around, and dealing with any "comments" from sightseers, etc, etc, etc. I know that most of you guys do this sort of thing easily, but it's a big step for us, and I want to ensure as far as poss that it goes ok, this being the first time my wife will be out with me in heels ... don't want any hassle for her. (btw she'll probably be in 4.5"+ heels, and much more noticeable than mine :smile: ). Thanks all .... Heelson

In London city centre I wouldn't worry too much about adverse comments, there may be a bit of whispering or nudges going on but I doubt they will do anything else. Personally, I would choose something that was comparitively worn so that you are already used to them- 5 miles is a long way in heels that are too high. Also, you want to ensure you're not going to get blisters so were something that is broken in. Another Idea is to travel by cab. There is nothing like getting out of a cab outside a theatre where all those queueing can see your heels! (Except perhaps getting out of a limo) :smile:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Well, as you can see from my London diary, I went for it in London, up and down the Tube, Tottenham Court Road, etc. Not a comment! So, based on my experience, up and at 'em. I was wearing longer, 'cover-up' jeans, tho, but as I caught sight of myself in glass buildings, I realised that they covered up less than I'd thought. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

No reason to cover anything up. This is London, 2002. Wear the trouser length you think shows off the heel best. For many heels that is just below the top, leaving about 3" of a 4" heel showing. I'd recommend thin trouser socks with heeled boots. Enjoy your trip!

I'm not as experienced with wearing heels in public as some of the others on the board, I'm just starting to take small trips out in my heels. :smile: But don't worry about peoples reactions, chances are the worst you'll get are a few glances. The centre should be busy and with so many people hurrying along then I'd bet very few would even notice. Good luck and have fun