more and more and less is less.

tallguyinheels

So, I've decided to not be so bashful about public heeling, certainly with the early daylight savings time in the US this year. So I've tried a new routine, a heeling lunch hour - everyday. So for an hour everyday I pick a place or places to visit somewhat near work - relatively far from home. Today it was the dollar store b/c I have to pick up some items for a trip my son is taking soon. But like thighbotguy, I have picked places I would regularly visit for errands or shopping anyway - bookstores, autoparts, stereo shop. I just put on my longer legged jeans and my 5 heels oxford heels - the ones that I feel most comfortable in. So my public heeling time is up to at least 10 hours a week - more and more. Do people notice? Sure - as i mentioned earlier - I'm 6'5" in Bare feet, so when I enter a place it seems at least half the people that look at me, will then look down at my shoes. Do I care? No. No one has commented to me at all. I have seem them whisper to a friend and a bit of a double take. - but actually I think there is mostly curiousity - they get to see about 1 inch of heel when I walk - and almost none when I stand - of course the sound is a giveaway - and the somewhat - pointed toes. I am missing out on lunch - a conscience choice on my part because I will look a lot better in and out of heels if I drop 10 kg or so. More is more and less is less. And a few notes: I thought I was competent in 5 inch stilletos before - but now - after alot more time in them - I feel they are almost part of my feet! The yesturday at a gas station (see next note) I stepping off curb quickly I broke into a three or four step jog before slowing it down. The other thing that is happening is the heel tip is wearing quickly - should I replace with steel or stay with hard plastic? I've always done plastic before.

So I had to go to Arkansas this last weekend for a memorial service with family - No, they don't know my shoe preference. 11 hour drive from ATL - all in heels, gas stops and snacks mostly. But I did stop by a Buckle store (mostly jeans and younger kids clothing) in Birmingham - got there as ther were just opening. Two guys (darn) were working. But I said, who cares - so I went in with my heels on. Now the jeans I had on for this part of the trip were my Men's Gap jeans - so they were not as long and definately exposed a couple of inches of hee - and the have a straight - not boot flare cut. I decided to not mention the heels at all, and see what happened. Just before I walked in the door, a teenager and her mom and what a guess was her mom's friend entered the store... A little apprehensive I still strided in confidently. At first the two sales guys were helping the others - the teenager was there to buy jeans, and the two adults were more helped elswhere in the store. Now, the Buckle store is a place where I have bought men's and women's jeans many times - and I like their selection and service. If you go in, be prepared to be helped - they won't let you go with a "just looking" comment. I like this because then I can spend time with them helping me. I like the "non-baggie" look of some of the women's styles and the have long length XL and XXL of 35 and 37" for many of their styles. The BKE and Lucky Brand also have slimmer men's styles. This is the first time I've been a Buckle with the heels on. The sales guy wanders over to me as I was looking at the the lady's rack of some BKE styles, and I give him my "looking for jeans and I like some of the women's styles b/c they aren't as baggie". The 20 something saleguy doesn't blink and asks "what size and styles are you interested in." I said I need a 37 or maybe 36 inch inseam with a bit of a flair at the bottom, in a womens 33 or 34 waist or a guys 36" waist. I know he's seen the heels - no comments from him, He treats me like any customer - picks out a pair for me to try - I had found another pair that was already in my hand - and off to the changing room. 6 pairs of jeans later - I settle on a women's BKE "Grace" style jean over a BKE Alex - men's jean. The guys was a 36 inseam and looked pretty good - the slightly slimming look of the Grace style won out - even though they were - can you believe it - Too long for a guy in 5" heels. I think I'll even have to have them hemmed an inch or so to work with my 6" heels. Or maybe its time to shop for a summer small platform sandal! Even when paying and preparing to leave - both sales guys - the others had left by then - were completely non-judgemental in their dealing with me. good eye contact relaxed conversation - what a moral booster for all of us heeled folk.

Greetings, tallguy! I'm 6-2 in my bare feet, so I fully understand what it means to be a tall man who chooses to wear heels because I stand out as well. However, I've long since stopped worrying about that and enjoy my outings, even if I do stand out. As for people around you, yes, they're going to notice, nothing you can do about that as the concept of a man wearing heels is still something of an oddity to the world at large, but other than stares, double takes or the semi-occasional giggle from teenage girls, nothing elese of consequence really happens. Nothing happens with me, and I've worn heels in crowded malls on Saturday afternoons with nary a problem. As for replacing heel tips, I guess you have to factor how often you wear your shoes which factors into how long the tips last. I've done well with plastic, but then, my outings are rather infrequent. If your outings are more frequent, perhaps steel would be the better option. Regarding your trip to Arkansas, I found that to have been really fascinating, especially your shopping expedition. It's good that you were comfortable enough to shop in heels for what you wanted. More power to you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Yes many congradulations to you. I have only on one or two occasions been able to wear heels and women's clothes into a store to shop. I get so incredibly nervous getting out of the car that many times I give up even when I know that once I'm out of the car I will be fine. That first step out is definately the hardest. Even for someone who has been doing this for years.