Press 1 for English

Another thing that I hate is my bank's or BT's Indian call centre ringing me up to try and sell me something. Their English is so bad I usually can't understand what they are saying, I tell them they have got the wrong number and hang up. If they don't have their call centres in England I don't talk to them.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I was the only one with that problem. In fact, considering how you Britts have been in India for over a century, I thought you lot would have gotten them straightened-out by now. I know that most of their leaders, including Ghandi, attended university in England. So what went wrong?;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I hate getting calls from people trying to sell me something, about twice a month I get a call from the Burlington Free Press trying to sell me the newspaper, I tell the woman that I already get the Free Press, when she asks where I get it from I tell her, "I steal it off my neighbor's porch." A guy from India applies for a job, the personnel manager asks the man to use the words Yellow, Pink, and Green in a sentence. The man from India says, "The telephone went green green, I pink it up and say,'Yellow, may I help you?'" He got a job working in a tech support call centre. Perhaps you've spoken to him.

I won't stand on too high of a soapbox here (I'm tall enough in my plats as it is!), but it just grates on my nerves when someone asks me if I speak their language....IN their language! It's bad enough when they ask me if I speak Spanish in English, but to ask me IN Spanish? Thankfully, I know just enough (outside the typical Taco Bell menu) to say "No I don't speak Spanish" back at them. One couple who had the nerve to ask me this IN Spanish, I simply replied "Iie....zenzen wakarimasen yo.", then walked away. btw...in Japanese, it means "No...I don't understand a word you're saying." Then there is the issue of those who pretend not to know English even when you've seen them speak it perfectly before - this generally happens in stores, but there is a whole other site about those issues.............

• Like 1

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

...A guy from India applies for a job, the personnel manager asks the man to use the words Yellow, Pink, and Green in a sentence.

The man from India says, "The telephone went green green, I pink it up and say,'Yellow, may I help you?'" He got a job working in a tech support call centre. Perhaps you've spoken to him.

Isn't that the guy with the Lexmark tech support center?;) I think I spoke with him when I was having trouble with my printer. We got past the "plug it in and turn it on" questions and then I never did understand anything else. :o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I won't stand on too high of a soapbox here (I'm tall enough in my plats as it is!), but it just grates on my nerves when someone asks me if I speak their language....IN their language! It's bad enough when they ask me if I speak Spanish in English, but to ask me IN Spanish? Thankfully, I know just enough (outside the typical Taco Bell menu) to say "No I don't speak Spanish" back at them.

One couple who had the nerve to ask me this IN Spanish, I simply replied "Iie....zenzen wakarimasen yo.", then walked away.

btw...in Japanese, it means "No...I don't understand a word you're saying."

Then there is the issue of those who pretend not to know English even when you've seen them speak it perfectly before - this generally happens in stores, but there is a whole other site about those issues.............

We had neighbours like that.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I won't stand on too high of a soapbox here (I'm tall enough in my plats as it is!), but it just grates on my nerves when someone asks me if I speak their language....IN their language! It's bad enough when they ask me if I speak Spanish in English, but to ask me IN Spanish? Thankfully, I know just enough (outside the typical Taco Bell menu) to say "No I don't speak Spanish" back at them.

One couple who had the nerve to ask me this IN Spanish, I simply replied "Iie....zenzen wakarimasen yo.", then walked away...

Actually, you don't really have to say that much. Just shrug your shoulders and say,"Nuga?" ;) then walk away.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Actually, you don't really have to say that much. Just shrug your shoulders and say,"Nuga?" ;) then walk away.

Now there's a new saying. What is it from, and what does that mean? I'm curious to know! :-)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Now there's a new saying. What is it from, and what does that mean? I'm curious to know! :-)

It's a Japanese word for "WHAT". Typically it's delivered in a very scornful, condescending, and abrasive manner much like you might yell a rebuke at someone. ;)WHAT!?!? :smile:

With a little practice you will soon be able to get the tonal inflection just right in order to sound like an offended diamio overlord. !!!NUGA!?!?:o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

When I drive my car to the border of Quebec, the Canadian Customs agent will run my Vermont plates in the computer before I stop and open my window. Then ask me where I'm from in French, I reply, "English, German, Or Vietnamese if you don't mind." then he'll ask where I'm from in English.

When I drive my car to the border of Quebec, the Canadian Customs agent will run my Vermont plates in the computer before I stop and open my window. Then ask me where I'm from in French, I reply, "English, German, Or Vietnamese if you don't mind." then he'll ask where I'm from in English.

Well, just what did you expect in Quebec? Any day now they're liable to wake up to the fact that they're no longer a French colony and actually join the Canadian Commonwealth. Why don't you just jump right in with German or Vietnamese and see what happens?;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

With most of Canada speaking English, then the Providence of Quebec, I've heard they want to change the flag of Canada from a Maple leaf to nine beavers pissing on a frog.

ROFL! Hoo, boy! That's a hot one! ;):o But, what ever works is okay with me.:smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels