An Intro from South Africa

I dont know if this is the place for an intro.. but I see others here so I will jump in with both feet first (suitably clad naturally). 41 year old male in South Africa who first trod the pavemenst of his home town with heels in 1980. The first of many, and while I am not one for going out in public in heels I do wear my mary janes when out to the shops. Attitudes in SA are still very repressed.. a male in heels would be soemthing to burn at the stake almost. Still, I live in hope for a enlightenment to arrive and for me to be able to tread boldly where nobody hath tread before. My collection is not huge, large sizes not being readily available and importing is just out of my price range. So.. I shall enjoy what others say and occasionally ad my bit. And hold my heels with pride as one of the few males who can walk in heels in this country.

• 2 weeks later...

High heels are popular here too belive it or not, although not amongst our older ethnic population. The youngsters are eager to "get groovy" so naturally HH's will take off. Alas though, we dont have access to many styles as all are imported and with our currency being pretty glum they are just too expensive. I am sure we are about 6 months behind fashionwise and are now heading into summer so the sandals are appearing on the shelves too. I dont think that males wearing heels will be very popular as many males here try to appear very "macho" and wouldnt be caught dead in heels or anything frilly or not conservative. Amongst the youngsters heels ar also appearing and Mary janes are normal school shoes for girls. Alas, most kids prefer barefeet and they tend to try remain like that as long as they can.

You might be surprised about what is or isn't socially acceptable. You don't know till you try. Heels for guys don't have to be frilly or prissy. Block heels, platforms, and cowboy boots can be very male styles. I was surprised about how easily accepted those were in the UK.

I'm just going to put in a quick plug for wedges, which (other than being my favourite :smile: ) are also pretty good for hiding exactly what's on your feet.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"