Nomenclature Help

seattleshoes

Saw a girl this weekend with shoes that I want, but since I didn't talk to her, I'm not sure of what I should be searching for. Basically, what I could see of the shoe was a big round toe area (I think some of you call them bubble-toes) with a very discreet chunky heel (her jeans covered most of the shoe). I could tell they were heels not by looking at the shoe itself, but because of the stride/posture of the wearer. My guess was that it was about a 3" heel. I've been searching, using words like "oxford", but I don't think that is quite right. The impression that was left on me was almost "work boot", but with a bunch of lift in the back. Any help in at least naming the type of shoes so I can go searching for them?

Saw a girl this weekend with shoes that I want, but since I didn't talk to her, I'm not sure of what I should be searching for.

Basically, what I could see of the shoe was a big round toe area (I think some of you call them bubble-toes) with a very discreet chunky heel (her jeans covered most of the shoe). I could tell they were heels not by looking at the shoe itself, but because of the stride/posture of the wearer. My guess was that it was about a 3" heel.

I've been searching, using words like "oxford", but I don't think that is quite right. The impression that was left on me was almost "work boot", but with a bunch of lift in the back.

Any help in at least naming the type of shoes so I can go searching for them?

I am reminded of the story of the woman who told her psychiatrist, "Doctor, I have this nameless fear." To which the psychiatrist responded, "Not to worry, my dear. Here we have names for everything.":text_lol:

Personally, I find your description much too vague to be able to draw any picture from. But speaking of pictures, perhaps you could visit some of the on-line shoe stores and find what you're looking for, or at least something similar. Zappos or Beverlyheels might be a good place to start.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Hi Seattle,

I think I know, more-or-less, what you're looking for. As far as nomenclature, you pretty much nailed it in your message - 'bubble-toe,' 'chunky heel,' 'work boots,' that's basically it. A few other words you might add to your search would be 'goth' or 'gothic,' 'clunky,' 'bump toe,' 'platform,' 'military' and so-on.

Also, a few possible brands you might want to check out are names like 'Skechers,' 'Hot Topic,' 'Demonia,' 'Lower East Side,' 'Classified,' 'L.E.I.' and 'Soda,' to name just a few - all makers, at one time or another, of some really hot, chunky, bump-toe boots. But a basic search using the words 'chunky,' 'platform' and 'boots' should do the trick!

Hope that helps!

OK, thanks everybody for the pointers. The front of the shoe, which was all I could see, basically looked like the one in this link:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17353798/c/3.html

(Thanks to BobHH especially for the assist).

Now, I could not see the back of the shoe, but it didn't appear like her shoes were backless, as you would see with traditional "clogs" (in my experience, women wearing clogs seem to move differently than those where the ankle is a part of the shoe).

I'll keep looking, now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for. They seem to be common enough here in Seattle that I should be able to find an example on somebody's feet in the fairly near future, and hopefully I'll have the guts to ask what kind of shoes they are.

Check out these three eBay listings and see if any of them are close to what you saw - item # 300081160083, item # 220083123392 and item # 130071824476 (just copy and paste each item # into eBay's 'search' box) . These are much closer to what I got from your description - not clogs.

As far as seeing another pair on some girl's feet and having 'the guts to ask what kind of shoes they are,' just fib a little bit - say something like 'Excuse me, but those shoes (or boots) you're wearing; those are exactly like the ones my wife / girlfriend has been trying to find. If you don't mind, what brand are those and where did you get them?' or words to that effect. In most situations I don't think I'd have the nerve to ask on my own behalf either, but I would have no problem doing it that way.

I did that just a couple of weeks ago. I was in an airport and walked by an older, petite woman who was wearing black pants and had one leg propped up on her suitcase to reveal a very striking pair of black, squarish toed slingbacks with a very high vamp, a wide heel strap, and a slightly tapered 3" block heel. I thought they were awesome and plenty masculine enough for a guy to wear street heeling. I put my bags down, as if to rest, and said, "Excuse me, but I am admiring your shoes. What brand are they and where did you get them?" She replied, "Thank you. They're Nine West and I got them several years ago. I don't remember where." I said, "Thanks I've been looking for a pair like them." I didn't say "for myself" but would have if she asked. I just thanked her and walked on. They were probably a size 5 or 6, but if they were 11, I'd have made an offer she couldn't refuse - they were that desirable! I've been combing Ebay everyday since then, but haven't found anything close. The hunt continues... But anyway, she appreciated the compliment, it broke the ice, and I got (some of) the information I wanted. I wished it were a current style, still available, though. Too bad. My point is, if you see a woman (or guy) wearing shoes you admire, pluck up the courage, offer a compliment, and start up a conversation. GWL1

And, in one of the strangest twists ever, I'm watching a close female friend's dog this weekend. She just dropped the dog off, and lo and behold, what was she wearing? You guessed it - the exact style of shoes that I was talking about. Now I just have to get the courage either a) ask her outright, or :wink: come up with a reason for inquiring that won't arouse her suspicion.

• 2 weeks later...

And, in one of the strangest twists ever, I'm watching a close female friend's dog this weekend. She just dropped the dog off, and lo and behold, what was she wearing? You guessed it - the exact style of shoes that I was talking about.

Now I just have to get the courage either a) ask her outright, or ;) come up with a reason for inquiring that won't arouse her suspicion.

Instead of making a big production out of it, why don't you just say something like: "Nice shoes. Where did you find those?"

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels