Yamyam's London Diary

Yamyam

Well, I'm away in London this week, meeting friends. It's not a whole week thing, but I thought I'd mention what I'm up to, from a heels perspective. It's now Wednesday, so this is going to be diary up to Tuesday night. On Sunday, I drove from my Dad's place down to my Mom's, but decided against driving in heels so that I didn't trash any shoes. Monday I took the tube into London, and went to the site. Monday night, I went back up to the hotel, and fell into bed. Tuesday, I went to site, then arranged to meet a friend. I decided to go for it, so I slipped into my new Kickers 3.5" wedges. I bounced over to King's X station, met my friends at the pub there, and we went off for pizza and beers. Another friend turned up, and we made a night of it, including me winning UKP5 off one of my mates for going to ask a pretty girl what she did... one of those drunken male things. I spent the whole evening bouncing around the tube, and various parts of London in my heels! I didn't get any negative reactions anywhere. Oh, and my friends were really positive! I made it back to my hotel room somewhere around 11:30pm, drunk and with tired legs... I seem to have agreed to meet my friend and several of his work colleagues for a beer festival in Olympia tonight. I'm planning to go in heels... he seems to think everyone will be cool with that. More news as I get around to writing it.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Last night we went off to the Olympia beer festival. Me and my pal Jon got caught in the rain, and during a two-minute walk ended up soaked to the skin through two layers of clothes! So I changed back into my Kickers boots, and off we went. We took the tube to Olympia, and queued for about fifteen minutes on the way in. We then had a good evening meeting up with people and generally drinking most excellent British beer (that's alco-gravy for our US cousins). Anyhow, somewhere around 9:30, I began regretting my fashion choice, as I had a slight case of sore feet. There were no spare chairs anywhere, so I ended up collapsing on the floor for a few minutes, just to take the weight off. I'd basically been on my feet since 5:30. I managed to keep going after a short break, and was glad to find a seat on the tube. Anyway, we made it back to the hotel about midnight, with me on my feet almost all of that time. Ouch! Guess I need more practice :smile: So, another great adventure. I think tonight's plan is cluster-geeking in Tottenham Court Road. Now, the question is, do I go for it...? I think we all know the answer to that one :grin: Oh, and Terayon - I will post some pictures as soon as I can! The boots are nice. I originally saw them at about UKP70 in the shops, but I managed to buy my pair from a really rather surprised young lady in Barratts for only UKP35. And they're real leather uppers, so dead comfy even though they're new.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Yesterday, I arranged to meet some friends, for our cluster-geeking trip to Tottenham Court Road . In the end, only one person made it, so it turned into a bit of a peer-to-peer geeking trip instead. Anyway, back on with the Kickers wedges, and off! (Note for people who didn't know: Tottenham Court Road is famous for having lots of electronics and computer shops on it, selling all manner of new and second-hand equipment - i.e., geek heaven!)

We ended up walking from Euston all the way to Great Portland Street tube, which is miles too far! I think it's because I forgot the map, and neither of us blokes would ask for directions :grin: !

When we finally found Tottenham Court Road, we walked all the way up it and back. We saw lots of cool geek toys, including a palmtop organiser with a built-in webcam (Sony Clie)! How cool is that? Tragically, it was about UKP450, so I couldn't afford it!

We walked around until about 7:15 pm. I managed to buy a new 128MB memory card for my digital camera for UKP65. When I bought it, they gave me two copies of the sales form, and told me that I had to give one copy to the guards, to let me out! And it was true - the guard checked me over and took the paper before I went. I suppose, tho', if you're going to have something that's about an 3cm square and 2mm thick, but worth UKP65, you need some security. Actually, the new memory card means that I might finally post some photos of my boots! So, Terayon might get his wish!

After that, we popped into a restaurant for a quick bite, before going home. Much to my major embarrassment, they put us at a table by the window, meaning my boots were on show to anyone walking past and looking through the window (Eek!) :grin:

Anyhow, then back to Euston station, so that my friend could get a train back home, and I went back to the hotel. I'm not used to this whole 'going out drinking in the evening' thing, so I decided against a drink in the bar and fell into bed, pausing only to take my boots off. That was about 8:30, so I managed another three hours walking in heels.

Tonight, I've got to go from London to my Dad's house in the West Country, and if my feet stop hurting, I might pop my boots on one more time for the drive. Mind you, I've learned undying admiration for anyone who can wear 4" all day :grin: . Of course, I spent unusual amounts of time on my feet, so I suppose a typical day might not be so punishing. After all, my friend Jon said his feet were sore after the beer festival, and he had his favourite Doc Martens on, so yaay for me :smile: !

So - all in all, a really cool trip, and lots to celebrate, including some :drinking:

(Note for people who didn't know: Tottenham Court Road is famous for having lots of electronics and computer shops on it, selling all manner of new and second-hand equipment - i.e., geek heaven!)

Oh darn! Now why didn't I know that when I was on my London trip 2,5 weeks ago. :smile:

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Oh darn! Now why didn't I know that when I was on my London trip 2,5 weeks ago. :smile:

How educational is this board?

Anyhow, last part of the diary - I drove back from London to my Dad's place in my wedges again (like there was some doubt this would happen :grin: ). I had to stop twice - once for a comfort break and once to buy some beer. The first time was near Oxford, so no problem there, and the second time was deepest darkest Wiltshire. It was about 9pm by then, and I felt almost let down that there was no-one to see me bouncing around in my boots.

Eventually, about 200 yards from my Dad's road, I suddenly remembered that I didn't want to turn up there in my heels (they know, but even so...) so I quickly dived off the road and changed.

End of a happy week. Thanks, all 177 of you for reading. I'm back in London soon, and if I feel brave I might do it in stilettos instead!

• 1 month later...

Nice wedges YY.

"High" praise indeed :smile:

not that far from the gadget shops.

Felt like blooming miles, by then. It was the most heel-wearing I'd done in a week, and by Thursday I was feeling the effects!

• 7 months later...

Yam wrote

and if I feel brave I might do it in stilettos instead!

With your newly acquired ones Yam? :wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Yam wrote

With your newly acquired ones Yam? :wink:

Julietta - you look lovely in purple - it really suits you!

And I'm not quite sure which heels to wear next time, but I doubt I'll wear the 'extreme' heels.

Julietta - you look lovely in purple - it really suits you!

Well thank you Yam XXX :wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Well thank you Yam XXX :wink:

You're welcome. Is this a permanent change, or just a little extra just for me :-x ?