Zippers in boots

Hello all, My wife has a pair of pull-on knee high boots with 4 " heels that she likes but they are pull-ons and not easy to get on and off. She is thinking about having a shoe repair place add a side zipper and was curious if that would drastically change the fit of the boots. Has anybody had boots modified to add a side zipper and were there any problems with te fit after the work was done? Thanks, Deal

Hello all,

My wife has a pair of pull-on knee high boots with 4 " heels that she likes but they are pull-ons and not easy to get on and off. She is thinking about having a shoe repair place add a side zipper and was curious if that would drastically change the fit of the boots.

Has anybody had boots modified to add a side zipper and were there any problems with te fit after the work was done?

Thanks,

Deal

My personal oppinon is yes that will change the fit, as much they may be a PINA I would simply put up with the laces.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hello all,

My wife has a pair of pull-on knee high boots with 4 " heels that she likes but they are pull-ons and not easy to get on and off. She is thinking about having a shoe repair place add a side zipper and was curious if that would drastically change the fit of the boots.

Has anybody had boots modified to add a side zipper and were there any problems with te fit after the work was done?

Thanks,

Deal

While I've never actually had that mod done, IMO a good shop should be able to do it without drastically changing the fit. For one thing, you would not want the zipper to come down too low - I'd say somewhere above the ankle. Also, you want to be sure to use a shop that's familiar with that type of mod. If they haven't done it before, don't be their guinea pig. If they have done it before, ask for references. A quality shop should not mind refering you to their customers.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

All it entails is cutting a slit and stitching in a zip along with a zip guard. It shouldn't change the shape at all especially if it stopped somewhere before the top.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, Thanks for the replies on my question. I went to an experienced cobbler and he installed a full length zipper. He knew what he was doing and the fit is the same and my wife is pleased with the change. I think the key is having a good cobbler do it. Ray